SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 05:22 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,790 Posts
We have a local "industrial" tool outlet here, and you can buy 12" long drill bits. These are great for such situations. I like the music wire trick and will have to try that some time.

Also, from one of the guys in our club.... You can remove epoxy from you hair by first heating it with your heat gun, and then using a wire brush vigorously.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
sure, music wire drill bit, and longer drill bits... all good, but in some situations you cant line up the drill, so these things are almost out. Drilling around the corners, with the rotating wire, I can't see this working for wire of any substantial size, and non square holes aren't fun.

...try the really-hot-wire trick... you'll get better holes in tighter places, promise. Try and get a square 3/16th inch hole around a corner using a drill and anything you can describe as a "bit"... my money's on the hot wire
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:42 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,428 Posts
Sure, I did not give the tip to replace yours, but just as another trick. Yours is still a good tip. I did not argue against that. And, I did mention it is for "small holes" only.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:18 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebell
Sure, I did not give the tip to replace yours, but just as another trick. Yours is still a good tip. I did not argue against that. And, I did mention it is for "small holes" only.
Fair enough.

For people into "tips"... there are so many many of them. The publishers of Model Airplane News have a couple of very worthy books of just tips... tips for all aspects of building, tips for making little tools, storage... very worthy books.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:46 PM
Ceredigion, Wales.
Joined Oct 2000
349 Posts
Don't let epoxy drip onto the electric hob. Wifey will smell that and there is no escape.

Dont get caught modelling in the kitchen.

Arthur is offline Find More Posts by Arthur
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
Bullhead City Az.
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
Fair enough.

For people into "tips"... there are so many many of them. The publishers of Model Airplane News have a couple of very worthy books of just tips... tips for all aspects of building, tips for making little tools, storage... very worthy books.
true all true, but each of us brings a little bit to the table that may or may not be covered in the trade mags. if we were to only use the mags as a referance source, we wouldn't need these forums. jmho
the wiz is offline Find More Posts by the wiz
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:08 AM
Ceredigion, Wales.
Joined Oct 2000
349 Posts
If I am trying to get a tiny little screw in say, a servo arm retainer, I fix it on the end of the srewdriver with a little bit of Blu Tack. I know there are magnetic screw drivers. Perhaps I am ham fisted but they nearly always fall off just as I am manuevering the screw.

If you have dropped the usual grub screw on the carpet, stretch a section of tights over the cleaner tool and go over the carpet. With a bit of luck the srew should end up attached to the tights.
Arthur is offline Find More Posts by Arthur
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:39 AM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur
If I am trying to get a tiny little screw in say, a servo arm retainer, I fix it on the end of the srewdriver with a little bit of Blu Tack. I know there are magnetic screw drivers.
What I do is I save all the magnet from my worn out tooth brush heads ( I have a sonicare) they are about 1/8 x 3/8 extremelly powerful and I stick it to the screwdrivers shafts making they magnetic when I need them to be. They are also great to keep spoilers closed on their bays.
Fernando
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:01 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,568 Posts
Paint masking

One on painting warbirds' camo paint jobs from another forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=29
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
6 Posts
Your CA will stay fresher longer if you store it in the refrigerator (cap on, of course)...let it come up to room temp before using, though.... (don't remove the cap with your teeth!)
Soak the CA tip and cap in a small bottle of acetone to keep them clean.
A small magnet will help you 'find' that nut, bolt, or metal clevis retainer clip dropped in the grass or in the back of the fuse.
If using rubber bands to attach the wing, store them in a small box of 'oil absorbant' (like kitty litter) after each flight and they will last much longer.
And finally, use a checklist when loading up for a trip to the flying field....It's amazing what people (myself included) have forgotten to bring !

c
propsmasher is offline Find More Posts by propsmasher
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:05 AM
Joined Jan 2005
100 Posts
Some time, go with yours wife into the movies, theaters, to dine out, go shopping (not too much! ) and other things (that things! )...

...Or give to her a unlimited VISA!

This way, you'll has the free weekend!

(sorry my bad english)
Cyberware is offline Find More Posts by Cyberware
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:14 PM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbackus
Measure Twice,

--When you cut yourself with your Xacto knife, grab your CA and glue it shut. It's perfectly healthy (clean the cut first!!!). You can hit it with accelerator but be ready for the heat. It's an intense 15 seconds of pain, but you're back to work faster.
to add to this, in case anyone is doubtful, I read in FineScale Modeler magazines that even getting CA into your eyes is perfectly safe. An eye surgeon mailed FSM and it was printed in the magazine, that the surgeons use CA to seal up cuts after surgeries. It may be uncomfortable for a while but he said in a day or two, your body/cells will discard the blob of CA
jinithith2 is offline Find More Posts by jinithith2
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:18 PM
Just a sip
Hudson, OH
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
1) wear aprons and tape the bottom to the edge of your worktable. this way, if you lose a tiny part when your tweezer sends them flying at mach 7, it will most likely land on the apron, not the floor. (my "workshop" floor is carpeted aaaaaaaaahhhhhh)
jewelrers use this method to prevent the loss of jewels.

2) this one is just common sense, but here it goes. do not do two things at a time even if you are moderate at multitasking. I was drinking coke while gluing parts with CA. I tried to put the coke bottle back w/o looking and if fell right off of the workbench and guess what, I turned to look!
next thing I know i was looking for a replacement canopy for my F-15 (this was when I was making plastic models)

A warning to the folks if you do not already know this. CA fumes fog up clear styrene like heck! so unless you can have constant airflow over the clear part, you're pretty much screwed.

One thing scale modelers use is a wonderful thing called Future floor polish.
if you coat your canopy in it, it will be extremely clear and the polish will protect the canopy from "fogging"
jinithith2 is offline Find More Posts by jinithith2
Last edited by jinithith2; Aug 21, 2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinithith2
to add to this, in case anyone is doubtful, I read in FineScale Modeler magazines that even getting CA into your eyes is perfectly safe. An eye surgeon mailed FSM and it was printed in the magazine, that the surgeons use CA to seal up cuts after surgeries. It may be uncomfortable for a while but he said in a day or two, your body/cells will discard the blob of CA
A flat workbench is a must.... also.. i can attest to "ca in the eye" put this one in the stupid column.. I had put a drop of thin ca to a foam fan blade on one of those squirt / fan bottles they sell at amusement parks b/c the foam had a tear. Well.. i thought it had cured (it was several seconds)... i turned on the fan and wouldn't you know it.. apparently a teensy weensy small drop flew off from the force of the spinning fan and right into my eye.. I freaked out visine, etc... but the next day... it was all gone.. like it never happened... be careful!!

Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:19 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,025 Posts
just a few things

Do it right the first time, not only following the manufacturers instructions, but even more so. The weakest link will cause miserable failure.

It's better to have a handfull of planes with decent "up to date" hardware and power systems then a fleet of broken underpowered, overweight birds. Also alot cheaper when everything is said and done.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy