HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 04, 2009, 06:10 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,138 Posts
Stole this one from Franny B. When cutting slots for stringers use a Dremel. Stack a few cutoff wheels so they are the correct thickness and it's a perfect notching machine.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2009, 07:06 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Mt Maunganui New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
784 Posts
Make a few rectangular "washers" from 2" epp or other foam, that will firmly slip over your wings and stay in place. I cut a wing shaped hole with a breadknife

Make them at least 2" larger than the wing, for say a 8" chord make them at least 12" x 5"

When you need to work on your wings to cover, paint, sand, hinge,fit servos, pushrods etc etc, the "washers" will keep your wings clear of the bench and damage. You can stand them upright or lay flat as you choose

I've got 2 sets different sizes and that covers all my planes from 1m wingspan to 3.7m

I've also got a few "washers" with round holes for holding the front of a fuselage, and a slot to hold the rear
Ralph Walton is offline Find More Posts by Ralph Walton
Old Jun 04, 2009, 07:21 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Mt Maunganui New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
784 Posts
Put a couple of 4" long strips of 2" tape, slightly overlapped, on your bench to make a mixing surface for small quantities of epoxy etc. I use a semi sharpened (chisel point) disposable wooden chopstick to mix and apply.

When finished, peel up tape and dispose, then a couple of cuts with a stanley knife will give you a fresh mixing end for your chopstick.

You can make small brushes by cutting a pinch of bristles (maybe 1/8" dia) from a large paintbrush then tape them to the end of a wooden chopstick with a couple of wraps of masking tape.

Theyre great for small fiberglassing, painting jobs etc etc and you'll get hundreds from a 4" paintbrish.

They only take about 30 seconds to make, then undo the tape and bin it when you're finished.
Old Jun 04, 2009, 07:37 AM
The Flying Kiwi
Mt Maunganui New Zealand
Joined Oct 2005
784 Posts
Its great if you can get a dust/ fume extractor for your workbench. I used a 6" inline fan that was designed to remove steam form a bathroom. Fortunately I have an old house, so it was no problem to cut a hole in the floor for the outlet.

Alot of what we do is dusty, smelly, and or has toxic fumes. Weather its sanding balsa, soldering, dremmeling, gooping, painting, using CA or a dozen other things, the extractor gets rid of it all.

6" would be the minimum to use and my latest one is an 8" inline variable speed fan. Much better. I wouldn't be without one now.
Old Jul 02, 2009, 10:35 AM
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wiz
just out of curiosity. this question is open to 1 and all. "What's the best single building tip you ever got"?
Always stick to good hardware, clevisis, collars, nylon locking nuts ect..ect.. spend the extra dollar! It's worth every penny. Make your own control rods using wooden dowels with 2/56 or 4/40 ends, saves you money and, prevents flexing.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old Jul 19, 2009, 07:47 AM
Joined Aug 2006
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm
A balsa stripper.
one stripper only... naw get two strippers ..
frasco is offline Find More Posts by frasco
Old Jul 24, 2009, 11:53 PM
Just a guy.
Canada, SK, Battleford
Joined Apr 2004
181 Posts
A couple of tips...

Bamboo skewers look just like carbon fiber rods if you color them with a sharpie.

Buy carbon fiber tow by the roll off of eBay. It is much cheaper than at the hobby shop. $80 shipped for 8000 feet compared to $6 for 12 feet at my LHS.

When putting a new glue stick in your glue gun start by putting a dab of hot glue on the end of the new stick so that it sticks to the old one and doesn't fall out.
Aber is offline Find More Posts by Aber
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
Got Another Prop?
United States, VA, Hampton
Joined Aug 2006
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aber
When putting a new glue stick in your glue gun start by putting a dab of hot glue on the end of the new stick so that it sticks to the old one and doesn't fall out.
Thanks! I'll remember that one!!!!
WadesRC is offline Find More Posts by WadesRC
Old Aug 02, 2009, 04:20 AM
Nimbin, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
58 Posts
straightedge

glue a strip of fine sandpaper to one side of your steel straightedge and it wont slip around when you are cutting.
jugglingtony is offline Find More Posts by jugglingtony
Old Aug 02, 2009, 03:15 PM
lawton,ok
Joined Dec 2007
487 Posts
build a vacuum former

make cowlings, wheel pants, wing fairings. fuselages...basically any part you can make a plug for. Make plugs out of wood, sculpey, plaster or use existing parts and duplicate them. There is mucho info availabile..some of it right here on RCgroups. It is fun, once you learn how. Al
max jones is offline Find More Posts by max jones
Old Aug 19, 2009, 06:31 PM
Beeton Ontario Canada
Joined Nov 2003
71 Posts
Translating Services

For the longest time I have been trying to get information on a French Airplane, namely a Morane-Saulnier 230 and my knowledge of the language is
zero I was not geting anywhere. Then i got the address of the French Air and Space Museum in Paris, great well maybee not ,everything the send me is in French naturley. Now the god news go to the Google translating Service.
Works as slick as can be copy what the send you in french paste it in to Google ans there you go. By the way the also due other languages.

Hans Bruhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wiz
just out of curiosity. this question is open to 1 and all. "What's the best single building tip you ever got"?
Hans Bruhn is offline Find More Posts by Hans Bruhn
Old Sep 04, 2009, 10:17 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
148 Posts
Best building tip

best tip I ever got was when I was 10 years old and should be passed along to all who begin in our hobby.

Take your time and no matter how it turns out you have done the best you can.
northernlightsfl is offline Find More Posts by northernlightsfl
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:13 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
A clear desk protector from Staples or other office supply store makes great template material for small foam profile plane parts. Endless airframes!

An extra large safety pin is a great starting point to build a sprung, steerable tailwheel (on planes smaller than say 48" w/s.) I built one using a 2 1/4" pin, clipped off the point and other end, opened to appropriate 45deg angle, sheathed the upper part in shrink tube, bent backward into rudder, bracketed a plastic pen refill piece with two servo horns- one long glued to the bottom of the fuse (profile), one short glued into the fin. Appropriate bends at the other end, with a Hobbycity 26mmX10mm fatty tailwheel and a bit of wire insulation dabbed w/ epoxy. Smooth landings and it cost me $.20!
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
Old Sep 19, 2009, 06:12 AM
houston tx
Joined Aug 2007
420 Posts
Maukabud.. a pix of your wheel arrangement would help immensely. thanks Rich
richg99 is offline Find More Posts by richg99
Old Oct 23, 2009, 01:44 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts