HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2007
533 Posts
For all you Exacto knife users.

Pumping blood means you cut an artery. Go to the emergency room.

;-0

Tom
noveldoc is offline Find More Posts by noveldoc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2007, 08:54 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,640 Posts
If it stops after a few pumps, then it was a vein, and you just drained the blood between the valves. If you squeeze your muscles it will start again. I stabbed a large vein on my shin once, when cutting something in an awkward position. it was odd to see it spurt a couple times, and then nearly stop.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Jan 02, 2008, 12:18 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy1000
I always get worried about aligning the vert and hor stabs, wings etc. Any best building tips there?

Build ships instead.
Dave from Oz is offline Find More Posts by Dave from Oz
Old Jan 02, 2008, 04:02 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from Oz
Build ships instead.
Bwaaaaahahahaha.....
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jan 02, 2008, 09:10 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton
3. And my favorite personal tip from a pro at my first solo when I flipped the model and flew inverted....

"Don't overdo it, you're not that good!"

Michael
Amen. Sometimes I wish I'd listened to that recommendation - usually as I'm gathering up the debris .

And there's always the full scale admonition about bad weather...

"Better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here."

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:42 AM
lawton,ok
Joined Dec 2007
487 Posts
work boards for balsa construction

use a piece of very straight gypsum wall board on a very flat surface. pins are easy to use andthe entire board is cheaply replaced...cut the whole 4x8 piece into the required size and stack them flat to keep them true when one gets tore up with pinholes and knife cuts flip it over ,tape on the wax paper and proceed I use 5/8 green board....used to be about 5.00 for a sheet now about 10.00 pretty cheap for a dozen or so clean flat workboards.. all my love bro...al
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWSLAWNDART
Hey guys,

What Kind of Building Boards do you like to build your Balsa kits on? I want something that is very flat and true, and will allow me to place the Pins in with ease and hold the balsa pieces down securely. Any pictures and/or places to buy them would be great.

thanks again,
Luis
max jones is offline Find More Posts by max jones
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:55 AM
lawton,ok
Joined Dec 2007
487 Posts
GWSLAWNDART>>I will use 5/8" gypsum wall board(green) one 4x8 will last several years iff you cut it in usable sections 2x2 ,2x3 2x4 and stack them in a dry corner they will stay true and clean. When it gets tore up (pin holes-knife cuts,etc.) turn it over tape your plans and wax paperon and you are ready to go. will warp if not used on a flat true surface. al
max jones is offline Find More Posts by max jones
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:30 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
Ha! I don't smoke in the workshop, but I've done the same thing with a pen.

Actually that reminds me,

If you're one of those guys like me that opens his CA by grabbing the cap with his teeth (usually because all available limbs are indisposed hold various parts of what you're trying to glue) then DON'T try and cap the CA with the LID still in your teeth. Garaunteed you'll end up with a lipfull of CA.
curare,

I will not ask you how you know, cause you will reply don't ask me how I know, and if you do reply don't ask me how I know then I will for sure ask you How you know. You now know why I don't ask you how you know, cause I don't want you to reply don't ask me how I know and force me to ask you how you know.

I just love these people on TV that says "you know" every other word. Particularly a lot of these sport players being interviewed and don't know what to say.

So here is a good tip for model builders and flyers.

IF YOU KNOW, DON'T "ASK". IF YOU DON'T KNOW "ASK".

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 11, 2008, 01:55 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3 Posts
If any of you builders do much covering here is a tip.Buy yourself a couple of those lint rollers, and go over the wood before you start covering, its better than tack cloth,and quicker. And I found out that bakers parchment paper works on covering plans when you glue.
tech10 is offline Find More Posts by tech10
Old Feb 09, 2008, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2008
25 Posts
when you run out of glue, get some more.
bugerdup is offline Find More Posts by bugerdup
Old Feb 24, 2008, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1 Posts
My 2 centavos: is to listen way more than you talk. The guys that talk the most often have a very high noise to signal content. Find the best builders/flyers your club and then spend a lot of time watching and listening. Once you have invested some time then ask a well thought out question. Do this sparingly. The high end builders and flyers are there for the love of the sport/craft. If you show some patience you may find a good mentor.

Oh, and if a fellow says, "Hey, Ya'll watch this" Give that man your undivided attention. You don't want to miss what ever he is about to do. It is sure to be a spectacular disaster. You also want to be aware of where the wreckage is heading.
EODSGT is offline Find More Posts by EODSGT
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:00 PM
"balsa flys better"
Challis ID
Joined Feb 2008
6 Posts
If you don't want to crash it don't fly IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Net_Ranger101 is offline Find More Posts by Net_Ranger101
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Net_Ranger101
If you don't want to crash it don't fly IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Net_Ranger,

Let me be the first to welcome you aboard!!!

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:54 AM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EODSGT
My 2 centavos: is to listen way more than you talk. The guys that talk the most often have a very high noise to signal content. Find the best builders/flyers your club and then spend a lot of time watching and listening. Once you have invested some time then ask a well thought out question. Do this sparingly. The high end builders and flyers are there for the love of the sport/craft. If you show some patience you may find a good mentor.

Oh, and if a fellow says, "Hey, Ya'll watch this" Give that man your undivided attention. You don't want to miss what ever he is about to do. It is sure to be a spectacular disaster. You also want to be aware of where the wreckage is heading.
This is the best advice I have ever heard in this hobby.
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:59 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,503 Posts
WAnnabe your tipa are pure gold
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier