HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:10 PM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Tessenderlo
Joined Mar 2007
12 Posts
If you're looking for a website with a zillion usefull tips...

If you're looking for a website with a zillion links on usefull tips...
check this one out !!! http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~atong/
Goggle is offline Find More Posts by Goggle
Last edited by Goggle; Sep 27, 2007 at 08:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:11 AM
Standard is boring - MODIFY!
Joined May 2007
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodgson
Look and measure twice, cut once.
Your best tools are your eyes.
A sharp blade is a good blade.
Take your time.
Read the instructions.
The right tool for the job.

"Use the right tool for the right job!"
Grim Reaper is offline Find More Posts by Grim Reaper
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:19 AM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,394 Posts
While not strictly a building tip; carry your plane in front of you through the house and through doorways. Before I learned that I was always banging my planes...
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Oct 19, 2007, 10:45 AM
Helicopter addict
Slovenia, Europe
Joined Aug 2005
812 Posts
Contact lenses might save your eye when CA spits in it, but protection glasses are better.

I learned this the hard way..
IgorT is offline Find More Posts by IgorT
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:38 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper
"Use the right tool for the right job!"
This works for just about everything, and no matter how often I hear this one, it's always right.

Next time you see your significant other trying to cut a tomato with a butter knife what are you gonna say??
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
This works for just about everything, and no matter how often I hear this one, it's always right.

Next time you see your significant other trying to cut a tomato with a butter knife what are you gonna say??
Do you want some butter to cut?
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:46 PM
Smashes Things
Montpelier, VA
Joined Feb 2005
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_flyer
Do you want some butter to cut?
You ain't gonna last son.
RCTyp is offline Find More Posts by RCTyp
Old Oct 22, 2007, 01:42 PM
Joined Oct 2007
2 Posts
I noticed people talking about magnets to hold parts on the work bench. A trick I learned when I was in racing: Most auto stores sell steel bowls with a magnet on the bottom for a few bucks. Mine has saved me alot of bending/ When I take smaller things apart I do it over the bowl so if i drop the screws or washers they stick inside the bowl
jlgsailor is offline Find More Posts by jlgsailor
Old Oct 25, 2007, 08:27 AM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynolds
When gluing with epoxy, wear latex or similar gloves. I tend to get the glue all over my hands. This way I can peel off the gloves when done gluing and carry on working without getting glue everywhere.

Andy
Painters nitrile gloves are the best when working with CA. I find they do not stick to the CA, and there is no moisture to make the CA kick on the gloves. You can continue working with them while your latex gloves are stuck to your model and have ripped a hole in them when you tried to pull your hand away. Learned that lesson the hard way. Had to remove dried on glove from the model and got CA on my hands. The nitrile gloves really do just continue to work and not stick to your project when the CA starts to harden. Now, if you leave it in place for a long time it might, but I've used them to hold pieces in place until the CA set and had no problem with sticking to my plane.
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:14 PM
Go ahead... Build it to crash!
Conroe, TX
Joined Apr 2007
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicToast
A few things I've picked up in my short time modeling:

• A dremel router guide makes an excellent foam channel for carbon rods. You get really one chance to get it right so make sure your straight edge is taped down good.
The router guide is a great thing. Perfect for the right depth. I have found with my epp and blue foam creations that you don't need to be precise in cutting the spar channel. It just has to be wide enough and straight enough for the carbon rod to lay in without being flexed at rest. Once you know it fits, put some water in the slot, pour out the excess, and then put a bead of gorilla glue in the channel. Place the rod in the slot, and using T-pins at an angle across the rod, pin the rod in place. The gorilla glue will expand around the rod, filling in all the little "errors" in the channel. It actually seems to get more grip that way. The T-pins will hold the rod down so the expanding glue doesn't push it out. The excess glue will expand out the top, leaving just enough in place to hold the spar without excess weight, so putting too much is not a problem. Then just take a common razorblade and run along the surface to remove the excess glue that has puffed up. It will make a great spar as strong as can be. I find that the best time to cut off the excess glue is about 2 hours into setting. It's dry and firm but not rock solid, and comes off easily. Lay a piece of strapping tape over the spar slot for extra strength, and nobody can see how sloppy your cut was. If you cover the plane, then you'll never see it anyway. Gorilla glue is a good thing in the right place. It does expand alot though, so don't put it in the wrong place. Making the spar slot just a touch wide ensures that you won't have any bulges, but usually the foam will flex out of the way just enough to allow the glue to expand all the way around the CF rod. enjoy
Fuegodeth is offline Find More Posts by Fuegodeth
Old Nov 02, 2007, 10:42 AM
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Tessenderlo
Joined Mar 2007
12 Posts
An amazing website on tips an tricks - not to be missed

If you're hooked on:

*making your own tools
*looking for all sorts of usefull building tips and tricks
*wanting to improve your building skills
*improving your knowledge of builing material and finishing techniques

don't look any further...

Check out this awsome website !!!

http://www.airfieldmodels.com

This website shows the howto's through lots of detailed pictures.

This is one of the best websites relating to this topic I came acros since long!

Just to give you an idea of the topics covered...
Articles for Model-Builders Lots of articles including these series:
How-To's Various techniques I've written specifically about.

Make a Magnetic Building System Extremely detailed information about the best and fastest method for building very accurate model aircraft.

Model-Building Tips and General Philosophy Build attractive and unique models that work properly.

Model-Building Tools The trick to good craftsmanship is not always having the right tool, but having it helps a lot.

Construction Materials What I know about what I build models from.

Model Aircraft Glow Engines and Fuel Systems Learn to run your engines reliably so you can have fun flying.

Model Airplane Math and Design Theory Not only so you can design your own, but to help you understand why model airplanes do what they do.

Frequently Asked Questions Common or interesting model-building questions that I've been asked.
And many more....
Goggle is offline Find More Posts by Goggle
Last edited by Goggle; Nov 03, 2007 at 09:05 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:00 PM
North London ENGLAND
Joined Dec 2006
1,630 Posts
Best advice? "Measure twice, cut once!"
macboffin is offline Find More Posts by macboffin
Old Nov 08, 2007, 07:13 PM
United States, PA, Shamokin
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by macboffin
Best advice? "Measure twice, cut once!"
Geez, I sanded it three times and its STILL too small! I learned this one while making fins for Estes rockets about 35 years ago....
Zagabond is offline Find More Posts by Zagabond
Old Nov 08, 2007, 10:16 PM
SMILE
USA, AR, Little Rock
Joined Oct 2007
196 Posts
My dad always told me..... "The FIRST MISTAKE you make is GETTING IN A HURRY". Never found anything to be more true!
AIRTECH is offline Find More Posts by AIRTECH
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:06 AM
Joined Aug 2006
86 Posts
best building tip you ever got

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wiz
just out of curiosity. this question is open to 1 and all. "What's the best single building tip you ever got"?
keep the beer separate from the CA..
frasco is offline Find More Posts by frasco