HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,648 Posts
Snake Bends in lieu of Z-bends.

Frank

Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Oct 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2006, 08:07 PM
Dunedin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
building-boards

A reply to GWSLAWNDART regarding the 'ideal' building-board. Obtain some warp-free 'base' material and glue a matrix of cork floor-tiles to it. When the tile-cement has dried, use an orbital-sander to take off any high-spots. Varnish or not, at your discretion. This thickness of cork-tiles holds all gauges of pins really well, even the very thin 'dressmakers' variety (eg 'glass-headed'). If the backing is somewhat harder plywood or similar, the pin-points may be trapped in that. I have used a similar board to this for years. it's inherently self-healing and in the event of a 'ding', say while drilling, the faulty spot is easily able to be removed by a piece of sharpened brass tube.
Cut an identical 'replacement' part from an undamaged tile using the same cutter, sand off any high-spots after gluing-in, and you are back in business. If you want something which really 'holds' pins, go for the largest obtainable size of chef's LDPE cutting-board. This holds pins 'like there's no tomorrow' and is ideal for those laminating-jobs which really place stress on the pins.

'artsmith'
artsmith is offline Find More Posts by artsmith
Last edited by artsmith; Dec 28, 2006 at 08:10 PM. Reason: bad spacing on original copy
Old Jan 03, 2007, 07:38 PM
NeveroddoreveN
Joined Oct 2006
92 Posts
This is from Jeff Raskin: Since Legos blocks are made to very high tolerances, precision jigs can be made with them. Good for marking, cutting, gluing, whatever.
xtian999 is offline Find More Posts by xtian999
Old Jan 03, 2007, 07:44 PM
NeveroddoreveN
Joined Oct 2006
92 Posts
I picked this up on working construction: Better than band-aid for cut is ca. just clean wound, squirt into cut and hold closed. Great for minor cuts.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:27 PM
Auburn, WA
Joined Nov 2005
401 Posts
This is a flying tip, not a building tip, but a long-time glider flyer helped me fly a glider the first time and his advice was:

Make sure you're three mistakes high before you try something new or risky.
sloperb is offline Find More Posts by sloperb
Old Jan 12, 2007, 05:54 AM
Building a Corsair
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Jan 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtian999
I picked this up on working construction: Better than band-aid for cut is ca. just clean wound, squirt into cut and hold closed. Great for minor cuts.
I don't know if CA is the same as SuperGlue, but if so then you are spot on. SuperGlue was used in Vietnam for wounds.
rwright142 is offline Find More Posts by rwright142
Old Jan 12, 2007, 07:03 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jun 2003
2,799 Posts
Simple and effective fin alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammy1000
I always get worried about aligning the vert and hor stabs, wings etc. Any best building tips there?
Best tip for aligning the fin I ever got was to use a piece of string from a T-pin at the firewall, looped around the fin, and back up to the firewall again. Very slight adjustments will easily show if the fin is straight or not.

I've used it many times, and it is dead simple and extremely effective.

Use it with Jims squaring process for fin to stab alignment and you'll have a winner every time!

Here's a picture of the process from one of my builds.

Thomas
thomanie is offline Find More Posts by thomanie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by thomanie; Jan 17, 2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:59 PM
Cartwheels = A New Plane
Mediapolis, IA
Joined Feb 2006
22 Posts
Sand lightly and slowly. Checking ever few strokes.
Darth_Z is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Z
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:41 AM
X - USAF X - FAA
Santa Ana, CA
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
When measuring covering covering material use a straight pin (leave it in the material) in lieu of a pencil or a pen. Align the straight edge with the pins and you will have the perfect cut every time.

I have kept CA and Epoxy in the freezer for very long periods of time with no adverse affects. I have used Pacer CA that was 8 years old in several models. I am currently using epoxy that I have kept in the freezer for 11 years.
sa-woody is offline Find More Posts by sa-woody
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:13 PM
NeveroddoreveN
Joined Oct 2006
92 Posts
Once I picked up a metal splinter in my eye from riding a motorcycle w/o eye protection. Here's how the eye Doctor got it out without touching my eye: He placed a very strong magnet close to my eye and it came right out! I'll bet this works on fingertips too.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
NeveroddoreveN
Joined Oct 2006
92 Posts
I know of a way to remove almost any kind of glue or paint from blue jeans: Mix Goof Off and Shout 50/50 and rub in then wash. It works miracles.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:20 PM
NeveroddoreveN
Joined Oct 2006
92 Posts
Some people store batteries, glue, film, etc. in the refrigerator. Here's a simple tip: Put them in a ziplock bag before you put them in and leave them in the bag for a while after you pull them out and you won't have to worry about condensation ruining them.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:24 PM
NeveroddoreveN
Joined Oct 2006
92 Posts
Here's a new one I just discovered: When joining two sheets of material with ca, use a small spray bottle. The ca will go on much more evenly and free from excess drips.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Quote:
Some people store batteries, glue, film, etc. in the refrigerator. Here's a simple tip: Put them in a ziplock bag before you put them in and leave them in the bag for a while after you pull them out and you won't have to worry about condensation ruining them.
There was an earlier thread on this forum about a twist to this. In addition to storing in the firdge, people have suggested puting CA glue inside a plastic container partially filled with silica gel. It's supposed to keep glue good for LONG periods of time.

Smooth
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Jan 15, 2007, 07:27 AM
The Clogg Master
Joined Dec 2006
129 Posts
Quote:
Once I picked up a metal splinter in my eye from riding a motorcycle w/o eye protection. Here's how the eye Doctor got it out without touching my eye: He placed a very strong magnet close to my eye and it came right out! I'll bet this works on fingertips too.
Don't try this if you have any vietnam war left overs stuck in your brains
PurpleHaze is offline Find More Posts by PurpleHaze