HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 03:58 AM
Call me hippo
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Nov 2005
28 Posts
At the cabinet shop I once worked at they had a 10" Rockwell table saw that had claimed at least one finger - the owner's. After it happened, as a reminder, he put his hand down on the table and spray-painted - in black - the outline of his hand with its missing digit. It never failed to get my attention.
hippodrome is offline Find More Posts by hippodrome
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2006, 05:29 PM
Old Tyme Electric
Joined Mar 2005
666 Posts
-You guys beat me to the safety glasses tip. I also have a full face shield (I use it when weedwhacking) that I've been known to use when using the bandsaw. I got a scare last week when the bandsaw blade snapped while cutting some wood. I may start using some leather gloves too.

-The best thing I ever did was take part of last year's tax refund and buy a band saw, drill press, and table top sander, all for under $300. It's improved my work and saved me a lot of time. I then went out and bought some good metal framed/particleboard shelving to mount them on, another $60. Great investment.

-When buying tools (especially safety glasses) figure out which one you can afford, then go one step higher. You'll always regret buying cheap tools or a size too small, but you'll never regret buying the right one.

-Finding a good LHS is worth many times more than what you will ever save buying a cheaper item from a mail order shop. When you need something just as they're closing and you ask them to stay open late while you run down, or when you need advice, or for any number of reasons.

Steve
steve crewdog is offline Find More Posts by steve crewdog
Last edited by steve crewdog; Dec 17, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
The Clogg Master
Joined Dec 2006
129 Posts
Heat the plastic (windshields etc) before trying to bend and glue it to the plane.
PurpleHaze is offline Find More Posts by PurpleHaze
Old Dec 17, 2006, 07:55 PM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve crewdog
I got a scare last week when the bandsaw blade snapped while cutting some wood. I may start using some leather gloves too.
You're better off working with most machine tools bare handed. If the saw catches the glove, it'll drag your hand into the blade, cutting your hand worse than if you were bare handed.
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
Old Dec 18, 2006, 05:48 AM
Henchmen wanted. Send Resume.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,060 Posts
instead of gloves

I have some rolls of gauze finger tape like this:
http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/produ...30&src=23GGNEW

It's good for use around grinding wheels, scrollsaws and bandsaws for real close work. It insulates from heat and is nonslip rubberized.
TomM is offline Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2006, 08:47 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,572 Posts
a) Control Surface Hinges - Pull apart an old floppy disc and cut out hinges from this material.
Brilliant hinges...any size you damn well want - and FREE

b) CA glue dissolves in Acetone

c) Water based polyurethane varnish dried out in a good brush?...dip it in Acetone and stipple it on a rag a few times & it will start to dissolve & break it up. 5 mins work will bring your brush back to 100% usefulness.
Try it - I saved a $20 brush from the bin doing this.

d) always come in for dinner within 3 minutes of when the wife/girlfriend calls you. It 'appears' you care more for her than the plane and you will always get more playtime if you are a good boy.
Women hate coming second to other females...(surprise surprise. read - planes here) - don't allow this weakness to show.

phil
Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Dec 18, 2006, 09:36 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Beaver
a) Control Surface Hinges - Pull apart an old floppy disc and cut out hinges from this material.
Brilliant hinges...any size you damn well want - and FREE
When I heard this tip for the first time, I just threw out a box full of old floppy discs a few weeks before. Ever since it is not that easy to get hold of old ones. All the computers are using CDs now.

At least, old CDs are good for control horns and spinner back plates.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Old Dec 18, 2006, 07:39 PM
Hack of all trades...
Detroit, Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing78
not so smooth
Ummm...yeah.

Wife had some fun with that experience, but not as much as the nurses in the ER.

SS
Smooth Spanky is offline Find More Posts by Smooth Spanky
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
John Reade
Santa Rosa, Ca
Joined Aug 2005
8 Posts
Epoxy-upside down

OK, here's one I haven't read yet. When those epoxy bottles get low, it's a pain to wait for it to run down to the top while holding it upside down. One friend says he puts his in the microwave for a few seconds to make it run faster. I like my idea better. I took four old 35 mm film canisters and attached them to a piece of wood about 3" by 5". Put screws from the inside through the bottom to attach 'em. Then ya puts your epoxy bottles, 2 five minute & 2 30 minute, upside down in them. The epoxy is always at the top and ready to be squeezed out!!
Wine Country Fly is offline Find More Posts by Wine Country Fly
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,779 Posts
Ask yourself..."Can I build this model?" Whether you answer yourself yes or no, you'll be right. I've always answered... Oh, YEAH!!!

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:31 PM
So Cal.
Joined Jan 2003
250 Posts
dont eat the CA
monti is offline Find More Posts by monti
Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:23 PM
Tobaccoville NC USA
Joined Sep 2006
15 Posts
On making cuts

You can cut it off but you can't cut it on.
fly by night is offline Find More Posts by fly by night
Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:37 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,580 Posts
You can always cut/sand it shorter, but not "stretch" it longer..........
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Dec 23, 2006, 04:48 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
I always get worried about aligning the vert and hor stabs, wings etc. Any best building tips there?
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:10 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,793 Posts
Stab fin alignment

I've got a drafting triangle with the right angle corner cut off, this it fits around the fuselage. You can glue on some scrap balsa along the edges so you can pin it to the staba nd fin. Another good point here is to make sure the triangle is perpendicular to the stab and fin. Otherwise, if the triangle is laying at an angle (fore and aft) the fin and stab will not be square.

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young