HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:55 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Discussion
Time to Stir up some trouble... Supertron Glass/Steel, FOAMIE! are you kidding me?

WOW.. just wow...

im SO glad somebody did a build thread on this thing showing the ammount of FIBERGLASS sheeting some foam and the steel leading edge protruding to the nose, not to mention all the wood...

this thing HAS be 75% COMPOSITE!!!! how is this even considered a foamie? my god, hahaha...

why the hell just not bag it and be done with it and have a fast 60" composite plane... much more believeable than it being considered a "Foamie" good god...

i know i know "Here we go again" but at least now there are pics and a build thread to proove it... sheesh..

Build thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=520663&pp=15
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:14 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,281 Posts
something has to hold the steel to the glass

B
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:42 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Bill's got a point. And an edge.

I'm a fan of a third category (hybrid) to allow the category to open up and go farther - I see a lot of advantages of hybrid designs over pure foam or pure composites.

Never thought I'd witness adults having near aneurysms over categories for toy planes...
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:52 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
no aneurysm here... just pure comedy

JOe
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:08 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
I'm torn in the middle......

I guess you can't call it a composite, but it does have a lot of glass and wood. Mixing that much resin you'd think it was composite... But it's not...

Hard to call it a foamy as the only "squishy" part is gonna be the tip of the fuse, and maybe the LE and tips?

I really think it's gotta' fall in a hybrid class...

I mean, a bagged wing has foam in it....

A sheeted wing had foam in it..

I bet once the Supertron hits hard you get a crunch....

So many variables......

-Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:15 AM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Andreas at PlaneInsaneModels has assured me that the Thorn is a foamie. It just has a very, very thick hardwood spar.

Oh, and no foam. But I still plan on going for the foam record with it. Just to antagonize JOe.

(Note: Andreas did not actually assure me of this.)

JOe: Are you still coming out to Colorado in August? I hope so, because we're going to have too much fun!
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:37 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
yes,still planning on being there my schedual is so off the wall, i have a hard time planning for the weekend, let alone next month.. BUT its high on my priority list and its still the plan on being there.

JOe
Old Jul 15, 2006, 01:16 PM
217 Schnell
Joined Dec 2004
858 Posts
wow....thats a lot of glass for a "foam" plane and steel leading edges...wow

nick
2lsvtec is offline Find More Posts by 2lsvtec
Old Jul 15, 2006, 03:37 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
BUT its high on my priority list and its still the plan on being there.

JOe
Cool!

OT: It does seem (from the sidelines) like Foam Building is changing. More and more Composite structure techniques -- meaning multiple types of materials combined. The foam is just a box to put the airfoil in.

I think this is a Good Thing. Planes get better/stronger/easier. People have Quicker, More Accurate Builds, More Fun, Fly Faster and Hit The Ground Harder With No Appreciable Effect. What could possibly be wrong with this?

The place where this seems to be most in contention is in the tiny little world of Limited Class: Foamie Top Speed Dynamic Soaring. Lets face it. This "competition" is for bragging rights and Your Name Here. Which is fine and cool. But no one's giving out prizes or conducting random drug screening and the sidelines are not crowded with nubile females, screaming and throwing underclothes onto the slope.

If the Gentlemen involved want to create a design class with proper limits in which to wag their antennas, that seems fine. But if other people want to make a plane "involving" foam, and see how fast they can go, that's cool too. If it's bothersome that a "less foam" plane is going faster than a "more foam" plane, it's probably because you're still clubbing an animal and eating it raw, while everyone else has invented fire and is cooking.

For my own part, I'm going to refuse to acknowledge any Foam Record unless the plane is entirely made from FOAM. This includes elevons, spars, covering, and probably even servos. Because combining any two materials is "composite" -- by definition. Nothing else makes sense.
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:21 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Nothing to "stir"--- anything with that much carbon/glass/STEEL can't be considered a "foamy"! And you're right, there's NO RULES to DSer's and what their built of-- but I sure wouldn't see any plane built like that flying in a combat contest--but that's because they established "rules" to build and fly by in the interest of safety. There is no safety with DSing, or very little taken into consideration at this time. As long as it stays small--- and no one gets hurt it will stay that way. Until someone creates the "rules" to build by it's very open--- and anything goes and there will be constant arguments.
Timmig

"solidified goop"?????????????????????????? yeah right! Go find some solid goop!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Last edited by timmig; Jul 17, 2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 05:31 PM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
So California
Joined Dec 2002
1,789 Posts
Yeah and I guess all those other models that have 65 coats of solidified GOOP, over the Solartex fabric, over the multiple layers of fiberglass threaded strapping tape, over the layer of Spackle... maybe that might not be exactly a "Foamie" either

Steve
stegre is offline Find More Posts by stegre
Old Jul 15, 2006, 09:24 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegre
Yeah and I guess all those other models that have 65 coats of solidified GOOP, over the Solartex fabric, over the multiple layers of fiberglass threaded strapping tape, over the layer of Spackle... maybe that might not be exactly a "Foamie" either

Steve
BIG difference....

BIG difference....
Old Jul 15, 2006, 10:22 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
Waiting to see all those "pure foam" class records for planes with no spars, etc LOL

/crickets
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:10 PM
Circle Jockey
A Sasquatch took my plane! Tujunga. Ca.
Joined May 2004
2,412 Posts
Before anybody reading this thread allows their opinion to get distorted by the exaggerated and laughable statements in posts # 9 and # 11 above, go back and look at the build thread again and make up your own mind. Which part of that build is quicker or easier?? How much of that work really makes sense in light of the fine selection of reasonably priced 60" composite planes readily available today? If you want to DS a plane with that much fiberglass on it, why not save yourself a ton of time and effort and buy a real composite plane that will fly faster and you can have in the air in a couple of evenings?

/ lots of crickets
D.S. is offline Find More Posts by D.S.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:48 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
cuz moldies break