HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2000, 08:10 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Still need info on how to retime a motor with an Astro Super Whattmeter

HI Guy's I still need someone to explain to me how to retime my Gruapner 6327 for a gearbox , using my Super Whatt meter. I also have to retime a Cermark Cobalt 05 to a Direct drive motor. Can anyone help please, there has to be a better way than just listening for the motor to speed up and slow down. This is one of the reasons I got this meter. Help Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2000, 09:17 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Run the motor with 2-3 cells and find where the motors nuetral timing is by amp draw. Mark it on the case and right it down.(direction not important)

With the motor shaft turning in the correct running direction, turn the case till you get a reading of 1.5x the nuetral setting.

Be sure to do this with nothing on the shaft. That is a safe advance piont. Some push that, some don't.

Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 04, 2000, 09:35 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Hi Joe,

Something Fred left out is the Neutral timing point will be the minimum current location of the rotation of the end bell.

Also, you will find that the no load current really will not change much between about 6 and 8 (10) volts. You want to be in this range when setting timing.

For your Cermarc you can also use the Amp draw /10 method. Here is an example. If your motor draws 3 amps at neutral timing (should be around that) and you want to run the motor at 40 amps, then you take 40/10 and get 4 amps. You add the 4 amps to the 3 amp neutral current and rotate the timing for 7 amps. Be sure the motor is speeding up when you rotate the endbell. This is real close to ideal timing for 40 amp draw.

Unfortunately, it is over advanced for partial throttle use so back the timing off some (maybe 5 to 6 amps total) if you are going to run partial throttle much.

My guess is for a 30 amp draw, your timing will be about 1/8 inch advanced from neutral.

Have Fun,
Dave

(sorry, never played with Graup can motors, not sure about them. Fred's idea of 1.5 sounds good though)

[This message has been edited by Daveairway (edited 12-04-2000).]
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Old Dec 04, 2000, 09:42 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
well it makes no difference no I just ruined my 6327. The brushes came apart and one melted to the com. Its junk but I need to retime my Cermark 05 and I dont wanna screw that motor up. Any suggestion on how to set it from geared timing to direct? Would be greatly appreciated. Joe
Old Dec 04, 2000, 10:09 PM
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Joe,

Doesn't the motor have a little timing stip on it?

Dave
Old Dec 04, 2000, 10:11 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
I assume the Cermark doe's the CEM doe's. The Graupner I smoked did not no.
Old Dec 04, 2000, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Hi Joe,

I have not owned Cem or Cermarc motors. If they are like the Astro's, you need to move the 2 main motor bolts to another set of holes in the rear end bell. I suggest you find someone that knows the process and let them show it to you. Got anyone around?

If not, check the current draw with the timing you have and the motor spinning the direction that it is timed for. Then reverse the motor leads and rotate the end bell "opposite" the direction that you want the motor to spin. (About 1/4 of an inch.) Test it and adjust until you get the same current reading that you started with before reversing the motor.

Dave

(Boy, you sound like some dumb Slimmer Pilot . Just kidding, read your other post. Hope this last idea helps
Old Dec 04, 2000, 11:12 PM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
I am just going to buy the new astro 05 7 turn down at the local hobby store. I would think a 7 turn cobalt would make enough power for a puddlemaster>
Joe
Old May 20, 2001, 12:42 AM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
As I remember, thats the motor in my PM, and it flys great with an APC 7-5 prop.
Just flew it today at a float fly,in rough wind and water, good ol' plane handled 15+ mph wind and whitcaps! with no problems.
Takeoff run about 50 ft in more reasonable conditions. Today it was 50 ft or first big wave!!

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW