SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2002, 01:56 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Oops, must stop showing off

Since it was a nice calm morning I thought I would stop off on the way into work and run a couple of packs through my 'and_now' but today I was also giving a lift to a nice young lady from our HR dept and I just had to show off

I was really having a ball wringing this thing out at low level, half way through the second pack I strangely decided to do an outside loop from about 20 feet at full bore, the ground jumped up and got me just as I reached the vertical.

These things really are tough; I shredded both the GWS wheels, bent the U/C, put a 1" tear in the wing where the rubber band cut in as the wing moved sideways. But most annoying I managed to bend the driveshaft on the IPS (the one thing I can't fix). Carbon fibre/Depron and a 200g AUW really is a good combination.

At least she seemed impressed, but that had more to do with the fact that I said it was made from floor underlay rather than my abilities.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2002, 02:14 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
That's one of those rules.
If there's no one around, you'll fly great.
If you're flying in front of someone, odds are that you'll crash.
And, the better looking they are, the higher the odds of crashing.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Jul 31, 2002, 03:07 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
ips shaft can be fixed!!!

i gotta trick for fixin these.....

and it works real well (bent alot when i first got started...on pico stick fd.....now on zero)

pull the shaft off the box......remove the big gear with a pair of needle nose pliars and hammer ( put needle nose on either side of the shaft all the way acroos the gear and tap them lightly with the hammer....knocks the gear right off the spline)

then put the nuts back on the threaded end....one goes all the way on ...the other goes just on about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way

(usually these things bend right at the splined area)

then measure the clearance between the shaft and a hard flat surface in between the nuts

roll the shaft till the bend has the bearing end(unthreaded end) down.
find something hard (i use steel washers) and build it up to match / equal the clearance measurement from the nut area

then (with bent end down- and on top of the build up) give it a few good whacks (not too hard) on the center nut

you can check it by removing the nuts and rolling on a hard surface and look for a an intermittent gap....mark this new high spot and repeat.

repeat this a couple of times and you will get it straight....

sounds hoakie...but it works..... 1 thing... you can hit it too hard and invert the bend (then just start over)

ya save 2 bucks plus shipping and can be flying again in about 20 minutes!!

<<S>>
Belgy
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jul 31, 2002, 04:13 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I recall reading about a few other crashes in another forum that happened with attractive young ladies nearby... it must be a testosterone thing, I guess. My solution is to bring a beautiful woman with me most every time I fly. That way, I eventually get over the "showing off" The beautiful woman is my wife and photographer too, which helps.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 31, 2002, 06:48 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,363 Posts
I make new shafts, my cousin got me a piece of 3MM steel rod.

I cut a piece to length, then clean the ends up and put it in a drill bit and emery it, the GWS bearings are just a hair smaller then 3MM.

Once that's done, use a Dremel to cut the groove for the rear clip and insert into box, push gear on, and use a collet prop adapter.

I haven't bent one after cutting it shorter and using the collet adapters, they seem to bend because of all the extra in front.
mt_100 is online now Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:34 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
יגאל.
כשהלוח במצב מיוצב .. ופתאום לוקח נגיד ימינה .. ואתה נותן שמאלה .. ועוד קצת שמאלה ... ומוסיף עוד טיפה שמאלה ... והרחפן ממשיך ימינה ...
ואתה כבר בסוף הסטיק וזה לא מספיק ..
ורק יציאה ממצב מיוצב מצילה את המצב .. זה לא פילוס של לוח.
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:46 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,042 Posts
Part of the game, you don't get better without pushin it!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K