HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:07 AM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
800 Posts
Suggestions for NEXT PLANE?

Thought I would ask for some imput for my next plane. I'm fairly new at flying, although I do have a TM and a Beaver both still flying and in one piece...... (Only minor damage to Beaver).

Any suggestions for an easy to construct, easy to fly, not too fast beginner plane, for a newbie?

I have considered one with ailerons, although I'm not quite sure I'm ready for that transition.

I really like the slowflyers....

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Glenn
Daytona Beach, Florida
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:44 AM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
I'm really enjoying my Duskstik, and am working on getting a MM Cessna 180.
Also, the T-52 is a great plane, and very durable.
These are all rudder/elevator/throttle planes.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:45 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
If you were 100% sure on moving to ailerons, I'd say the switchback sport from www.mountainmodels.com

However, since you'd like to stay with something slower, I'll just toss another Mountain Models kit at you... the Cessna 180! The kit is easy to build for a balsa kit. Do you have any experience with balsa? If not, feel free to post questions on here as you have them. Here's a pic

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:18 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
800 Posts
Dreamer,

Nice plane.....It looks like it would be a good choice. How does it fly? What motor and battery set up are you using? I don't have any experience building balsa but I guess I'm ready to try.

I'm looking for something that's not too fast because then I can actually fly in a field surrounded by trees in my back yard. It's nice not to have to go to the ball park for a quick before dark flight.

I have thought about a Switchback, but I'm not sure how fast it is. Looks like a really neat plane when it's in one piece. Lots of photos on this forum of crashed Switchbacks.

Beachernaut,

I haven't seen a Duskstick or a T-52. Where do I find them?

Thanks for the replies.

Glenn
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:25 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
The DuskStik, Switchback and the Cessna are all at www.mountainmodels.com.

The DuskStick and the Cessna 180 both use the power system as in your Tiger Moth. The Switchback uses what's in the Beaver (though the recommended one is a lower gear ratio).

Another fast building wood kit that is not ailerons, but lets you fly in a REALLY small space is Todd Long's Gym-E. This, too, uses the TM power system. www.toddsmodels.com.

Maybe after this next plane you can try the Wing-E. I'd NOT use that one for a first aileron ship. The Switchback Sport with the throws turned down to about 1/2 of the recommendations would be a good way to go there.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:26 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Glenn,

The duskstik is from Mountain Models too... it's enevitable that everyone has to have a kit from Doug! I'm not sure where the T-52 is available from.

The Cessna flies with all the exact same gear as the GWS Tiger Moth (DX-A, 5 amp ESC, HS55 servos, 7 cell 300 mah NiMH or Qualcomm), and at ever so slightly higher speeds... it's so close to the same flying speed, that I consider them in the same category. I haven't flown a Beaver or seen one fly, so I can't comment on the flying speed compared to that. In terms of flying difficulty, it's one step up from the Moth, in that you have to use the elevator more, but it's still very forgiving. From your description of your backyard, something this speed would probably be comfortable, especially since you're already flying a Moth and Beaver there.

The switchback is roughly twice the speed of the Moth on average, though it can go much faster than that, but on the other hand it can also slow down almost as slow as the moth too. All the fun is in the higher speed for better aerobatics, though.

Martin
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:28 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
The T-52 is pink foam and corplast and packing tape - a rather different animal. It's marginal on the recommended power system. I'm having a ball (at regular model flying sites) with the T-52's big brother, the Big-T, again with more than the recommended power.

www.jkaerotech.com
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:45 PM
Horrible Test Pilot
Lyman WY
Joined May 2002
888 Posts
Boy, you guys are right on top of stuff.
Nice plane Dreamer.

glenclif- good luck with your decision. All of these planes (except the Cessna) have been great planes for me.

I believe BEC's right. I haven't flown mine on the recomended 400 direct drive, but it flies great with a geared setup.

Jason
Beachernaut is offline Find More Posts by Beachernaut
Last edited by Beachernaut; Jul 31, 2002 at 12:47 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 01:50 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Check out www.wildrc.com. Any of those build real quick, can fly real slow, are virtually indestructible, and can be flown in a really small area.

Of course, there are those who say that the IFO is not really a "plane". But then once you have seen one fly, it not being a real "plane" suddenly becomes immaterial. They are just plain fun.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old Jul 31, 2002, 02:17 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
....the T-52's big brother, the Big-T, again with more than the recommended power....
Congratulations Bernard! You have just won the ezone award for the biggest understatement of 2002!

Martin