SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:04 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
Discussion
half gallon of bad fuel???

i have a what used to be a gallon of omega 15 that has gone bad on me and i was wondering if there was any way to usethe remainder of fuel. it will not run in my magnum 61. will it run in my os 20? or do i have a half gallon of weed killer?
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:15 PM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
What is "bad" about it? If it was a gallon and has reduced itself to 1/2 a gallon by evaporation, you have weed killer. The methanol and nitromethane are mostly gone, and there is really no point in trying to ressurect it.

If it has lots of little white floaty specks in it, the castor oil has turned rancid, but it will still work ok for sport flying as long as you don't try to filter it. The rancid oil will more or less liquify when it gets into the hot engine. Keep your motor a bit rich, your exhaust will just be really stinky.

Weed killer would probably be the best application though.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:34 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i have used half of the fuel and now it has sat for about a year and now it wil not sustain full throttle for more than 2 minets or so. and there are no white bubbles.
Old Jul 14, 2006, 07:39 AM
Dushore Pa. & Arcadia Fl.
Joined Jun 2002
110 Posts
I have used fuel that was stored (NOTE stored means : sealed in a cool place) for many years.( over 5 ) without any loss of performance that I could detect. If it was left open in the hot garage, throw it out.
Robert Bauer is offline Find More Posts by Robert Bauer
Old Jul 14, 2006, 08:00 AM
Flying RC since 1974
Del Norte, Colorado
Joined Dec 2002
736 Posts
I agree with Robert. If you had it stored with the lid on, it should be fine. I suspect you have a tuning problem. I've been worse than Robert, I bought a gallon in 1983 (for $7.00!) used half and then left the bottle in my dad's furnace room until 1998. It still worked fine.
ctdahle is offline Find More Posts by ctdahle
Old Jul 14, 2006, 03:59 PM
jimi hendrix
Joined Apr 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotccapt
i have used half of the fuel and now it has sat for about a year and now it wil not sustain full throttle for more than 2 minets or so. and there are no white bubbles.

give the fuel a good shake and try again
spitfire123 is offline Find More Posts by spitfire123
Old Jul 14, 2006, 06:00 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
thanks it was stored in a hot garage. it worked for the first few fligts but now it doesent i will try shaking it up.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 08:55 AM
Joined Apr 2004
6 Posts
bad Orion fuel

changed to a new unopened gallon of Orion 10% and engine performance went from great to unuseable. problem is with the fuel. tried a buddys fuel ( Orion also) and problem completely disappeared.
jorgeron is offline Find More Posts by jorgeron
Old Sep 04, 2007, 01:27 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Richen it up a bit. the flecks may be cloggin the ventura.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh