Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:06 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Discussion
Thinkin about pickin up a Blade CX..

Should I do it?

I'm just looking for something fun to toy around with.. Inside, outside.. here and there..

Blade looks like some fun.. Just need some reassurance..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:32 AM
Joined Jul 2006
24 Posts
i love mine, but dont take it outside unless there is very little wind. you will think that it cant hurt it and TRUST me i thought that to.

now tell me if isnt built well, a gust of wind crashed me into a pool and the thing still works! how lucky was that
mtm87tx is offline Find More Posts by mtm87tx
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:15 AM
Joined Jul 2006
16 Posts
once you've mastered the controls, outside is possible. Just be aware of wind and gusts.

You wont find many people complaining legitamately about the Blade CX. Solid.
sneth is offline Find More Posts by sneth
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:17 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2006
273 Posts
I love mine.

Not too hard to learn. Once you get the hang of it, you can fly it all over the place inside. That's really fun.

I have not had good experience with it outside, but I havent had it very long.
bladefan is offline Find More Posts by bladefan
Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
Joined Sep 2005
914 Posts
Blade CX (or Lama 2 from Esky) is a good beginner helicopter (video - easy to learn how to fly). So if you want something easy to pick up the flying skill, then it is a good one to start. It is not an outdoor rc helicopter. Only for indoor.
4RCHELICOPTERSPA is offline Find More Posts by 4RCHELICOPTERSPA
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:10 PM
Joined Jun 2006
20 Posts
In very low/no wind (had 4 days of this last week) it's quite capable of outdoor flight.

Cheap parts, easy to repair, lots of fun!
Joebar is offline Find More Posts by Joebar
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2006
95 Posts
I love my Blade CX.

It's addicting though, you'll be buying aftermarket parts and modding it before you know it.

I've been able to fly my Blade CX outdoors on a number of occasions. Any wind will probably make you crash though. The Blade CX's forward and aft momentum is not enough to overcome the slightest of winds, and you'll be pushed around a lot if there is wind.

But on calm days it is a blast to fly outside.

If you do buy one, be sure to buy plenty of extra blades. They are about a buck each, and for the CX they come in packs of 4. I'd get two packs of uppers and lowers ($16). You will go through a bunch on your first flights.

You will probably want to pick up an extra set of landing gear as well ($3.99), and maybe an upper rotor head (i replaced mine with the $8.99 aluminum one, no problems since).

Also, unless you want to wait an hour to an hour and a half between flights for your battery to charge, you will want to pick up 1 or 2 more batteries ($26). I have three, and I just bought a couple more cheapies from commonsenserc to give them a try.

Other than those pieces, I haven't busted anything else, and I took some nasty crashes. Now that I've got the hang of it though, I hardly break anything. Once in a while I will get a little aggresive indoors and chip a blade, but if you fly "normal" you shouldn't have too many problems once you get the hang of it.

It's a fun little heli!
manse is offline Find More Posts by manse
Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:18 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Ahh, I've flown heli's before..

I've had a Shuttle ZXX, Corona and a Hummingbird, just looking for something else to play with..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:39 AM
Who's scaring the kittens
Joined Apr 2002
752 Posts
Hey manse,
Where did you find an aluminum upper for $8.99? That's a big drop in the usual $16.99 price!
ViperR is offline Find More Posts by ViperR
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Save the $100 and get a LamaV2/3 they slightly better then the BCX, and the blade design is better.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K