HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:10 PM
Government is a fearful master
United States, TX, Farwell
Joined Feb 2001
157 Posts
Discussion
Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker D-7

Here are some pics of my soon to be completed Balsa USA Fokker D-7.
Wing span is 88 inches. AUW is about 20 lbs. Power is a Briggs & Stratton 34cc 4 stroke weedeater motor. It spins a 20 X 6 Zinger in the mid 6,000 RPM range. Just needs a few pieces finished then a cover job. I'm thinking it will be a red forward fuselage, a blue rear fuselage, a white tail with red stripes on the top of the horizontal stab. I'm still thinking about the wing color scheme. That 4 stroker exhaust will run out an open pipe routed on top of the cowl similar to the full scale version. It sounds very much like an old WWI fighter engine while running... So coool!! It should be flying in time for the bomber field B17 flyin in Monaville, Texas in September. There are several flyers from Corpus Christi working on WWI fighters. I hope we all make it to Monaville. We will be able to launch quite a variety of old WWI fighters at the same time. Should be lots of fun. The fellow in one pic is Greg Pierson who is responsible for this construction.. He is an excellent builder and is flying a Balsa USA 1/4 scale SE5-A.
electroman7 is offline Find More Posts by electroman7
Last edited by electroman7; Jul 12, 2006 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for posting!
Where did you get the motor? Do you use the pull start or something else to start it up?
-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Aug 01, 2006, 12:34 PM
Joined Feb 2001
157 Posts
The motor came new from Sears, their 34cc 4 stroke weedeater. What I did was order a replacement powerhead. Cost $150. I then cut off unneeded mounting flanges around the crank case, turned a prop adaptor on my brother in law's metal lathe, swapped carbs to a similar sized one with twin needles. Made a replacement back plate with mounting holes. The motor should run at all orientations as it has a 360 degree sump. It weighs somewhat more than a g-38. I need that extra weight in the short nose of the D-7. The motor isn't as strong as a similar size 2 stroke, but is torkey and sounds soooo goood. Especially with a sorta scale open exhaust pipe. And you don't have to mix oil in the gas. Exhaust has no residue. I use a standard sullivan electric starter to start the motor. It is a little cold natured and is hard to hand start.
Old Aug 01, 2006, 09:52 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Very interesting. Sounds like you are very crafty with all these modifications. One of these days I dream of a big crazy project like this, and a cheap, clean 4 stroke is very attractive. Gotta laugh at myself for asking about the pull start though--
I can see getting tangled up with the plane while pulling and earning the Darwin award. -Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Aug 02, 2006, 06:04 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
superb...love these giant WWI beauties
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:45 AM
Joined Feb 2001
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Very interesting. Sounds like you are very crafty with all these modifications. One of these days I dream of a big crazy project like this, and a cheap, clean 4 stroke is very attractive. Gotta laugh at myself for asking about the pull start though--
I can see getting tangled up with the plane while pulling and earning the Darwin award. -Steve

Don't laugh, I've seen a few models with pull starts. Anything that works for you. As for the modifications, they were simple and straight forward. I think one of the weedeater conversion companies makes prop adapters for various weed eater motors. I forgot which one also fits the B&S 34cc. I turned my own just for the chance to work the metal lathe. If you decide to go the 4 stroker route, remember that these aren't high output engines. They are heavy and produce moderate power. They won't work on a high performance model. They are more suited for Cubs and planes like the D-7.
Old Aug 02, 2006, 07:46 AM
Joined Feb 2001
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arukum17
superb...love these giant WWI beauties

Thank you. This is one of the very few IC powered models I have. I usually work with electrics.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 06:41 PM
Sherwood Park, AB
Joined Nov 2004
273 Posts
That is looking beutiful! Do you have the Sears part numbers for that motor?? That looks like my next winter project.

Thanks for sharing!!

Phil
Culver10 is offline Find More Posts by Culver10
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:56 PM
Long Island
Joined Nov 2003
588 Posts
Looks good!!
techguy is offline Find More Posts by techguy
Old Nov 15, 2007, 01:34 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Jul 2006
287 Posts
I'm thinking about trying to do the BUSA 1/4 scale DVII. Well, actually I will probably order it thiss weekend. I have not done a kit build yet but would love to do this one! I have put together the Electrifly WW1 planes without problems. I know this kind of a build is a whole other ball game.

I guess I wanted to get a feel if other people are still looking at this thread and would be eager to share their enthusiasm and experiences with this kit with a newbie like myself.

I guess first off, how crazy am I for thinking about 1/4 scale being fairly new to building?
VAScrats is offline Find More Posts by VAScrats
Old Mar 04, 2008, 12:40 PM
Roanoke, VA
Joined Jul 2006
287 Posts
No VAScrats, you are not crazy. You just need to take your time and be sure to ask questions if something does not make sense. If any kit can be put together by a novice, it is the Balsa USA kits. Good luck and 'Go for it'!
VAScrats is offline Find More Posts by VAScrats
Old Mar 08, 2008, 07:30 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
642 Posts
Very beautiful Fokker there and I am sure the conversion will sound really nice in the air. One question I have though-and you are not the only one that is guilty-why spend so much time and effort to construct a beautiful model only to outfit it with a crappy bottom of the line prop???? What about a Xoar for example-better looking and way, way better performing for around $22. You could even lightly sand it and restain for an even more scale approach. So many people shortchange themselves with cheap props (many don't even realize the difference a good prop makes) with these WWI planes. Yes, there are many wooden props out there that are in a whole other league from the Master Airscrew, Top Flights and Zingers that average only a few dollars more.

I guess if marginal performance is fine with you then so be it-but I think many modelers don't place much importance on their prop.
flygilmore is online now Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Mar 11, 2008, 06:12 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
342 Posts
If anyone is interested, I have a B&S 34cc fource engine for sale on ebay.
I will post in the Sale trade too. Just thought I'd let you guys know. Maybe a backup?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=017
teched88 is offline Find More Posts by teched88
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Jul 2013
2 Posts
fokker dvii 1/4 scale

hi, i want to know how much weight do you add to the nose for balance? thanks
danielmaldonio is offline Find More Posts by danielmaldonio
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:56 PM
WW I Flyer
Enid, OKlahoma
Joined Dec 2008
59 Posts
For you guys who are thinking about building the BUSA Fokker D VII, it is a great airplane. I have been flying RC for more than 30 years and the 1/4 scale BUSA Fokker D VII is the best flying model airplane I have had. The instructions are straight forward with lots of pictures, but are a few things that need to be changed or modified. To keep it from climbing you just need to build in 3 to 4 degrees of positive incidence in the horizontal stab. My best suggestion is to do a construction thread with plenty of pictures as you go along. You will be surprised how much help and good advice you will receive. I did a construction thread on RC Scale Builder web site from beginning to maiden flight.. Lots of pictures and help from many people around the world. You can do a construction thread on this site as well. Go to http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...?TID=9442&PN=8 (rcscalebuilder.com, forums, BASLA USA Kits. to page 8, open Building the BUSA Fokker D-VII by jwrich. There are 31 page of pictures and advice.
Here are some pictures of my first D VII and the Fokker D VII I am flying now. The first one crashed very sad ( I lost in the sun and just too low to save it). The Yellow D VII is the one that crashed, the red & white D VII is the one I am flying now.

Need help, just ask
Rich
jwrich is offline Find More Posts by jwrich