SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2006, 08:40 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Careful!
FOAM SAFE CA GLUE ....not so safe !

Its called super gold plus + and I bought the activator too. .As useual, test it first , I did on blue core , and all seemed ok. but when I begain to put the project togather Man! did it go south and in a hurry. The balsa strips that I was laminating got so hot to the touch , it smoked , and totaly Wrecked the foam the places it did stick were as brittle as glass . So much for modern tech. I'm all epoxy from now on...after I buy a new sheet of foam..and balsa ...and re draw...and re cut ....and re sand. anyone care to guess what happened? What should I have used ?
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:43 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
inventing man,

Did it start to smoke after you accellerated the joint? CA gives off heat gradually as it cures, over the course of 2 or 3 minutes. If you use too much glue and then accellerate it, the heat is all released in one instant and the foam and wood act as insulators and allow the heat to build up. Also, is the activator labeled as foam safe? some of them are not.

j
JayJay76 is offline Find More Posts by JayJay76
Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:51 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Ive had the same problem before. To stop it from happening, spray one side of the piece to be glued lightly with the kicker, let it sit for a couple minutes, put the foam safe CA on the other side nice and thin, when you put them together, they will bond really quick but wont get so hot that the foam melts.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:06 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Thats exactly how I did it Laine. and the acl was foam safe. I EVEN USED MY FINGERS TO PUT A THIN COATOF GLUE ON . with laytex gloves on of course. I sprayed the foam and then applied the glue to the 36 strips of balsa. Should have been plenty of time.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:11 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thats odd. I have never had a problem doing it that way. I've melted the snot out of it by spraying the kicker onto the CA joint though! Makes for an ugly glue joint doing it that way!
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:15 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,381 Posts
I prefer UHU contact glue and Gorilla Glue. Epoxy is okay but heavy. I use foam safe CA sparingly when speed is needed and nothign else will do.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:22 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
What about hot glue ...errr medium hot glue that is . It seem to do good for like engine mounts and servo mounts that are placed in the cut outs in the foam ? I would guess you would want something removable from the gear so it could be reused with out a lot of fuss.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:14 PM
Springtown
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Elmers Ultimate Glue is really good and its about half the price of Gorrilla Glue.
quade is offline Find More Posts by quade
Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:31 PM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quade
Elmers Ultimate Glue is really good and its about half the price of Gorrilla Glue.
I have been using the elmers brand for a while now, It seems just like gorilla glue in terms of foaming and strength. I like to squirt out a puddle of it, then dip a q-tip in water and stir it up like epoxy, that speeds up the foaming then I use the q-tip to spread it where I need it. It continues to foam up and fills gaps and if you let it foam up a bit first its easy to spread on the inside of weak areas. you can build up thin spots in your foam models without adding a lot of weight.

One advantage I think the elmers has is longer shelf life than gorilla glue. I had the large bottle of gorilla glue get so thick after 2 months that I could not squeeze it out, but a large bottle of the elmers that I use frequently has lasted 6 months with no noticeable thickening.

jason
Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:54 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlepinske
One advantage I think the elmers has is longer shelf life than gorilla glue.

I have never used gorilla glue, but I just finished off an 8oz bottle of Elmer's ProBond that I opened in 2004!

If I want expansion and quicker curing I mix in a little Elmer's white glue.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:10 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jul 2006
199 Posts
I bet you were using thin CA, the stuff that runs easy, if you were that why the balsa got so hot, it runs into the grain and that increases the surface area and the reaction speed and it goes nuts and starts smoking, if you do want to try CA again get the GEL CA or the VERY THICK CA that wont smoke your balsa as it sets way slower and will not bleed into the wood and cause the problems. Hope you try CA again with thick stuff

All the best

Spencer
foxabilo is offline Find More Posts by foxabilo
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:06 PM
Springtown
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
Hey Jlepinske. Isn't Elmers ProBond and Ultimate Glue the same thing? I was told that they were.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:34 AM
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined Oct 2004
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quade
Hey Jlepinske. Isn't Elmers ProBond and Ultimate Glue the same thing? I was told that they were.
Same thing, but different brands. Kinda like coke and pepsi. some people have a preference; I personally can't tell the difference.

j
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:13 PM
Springtown
Joined Jun 2006
32 Posts
I thought Elmers was Elmers?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 08:36 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Elmers makes ProBond, Ultimate glue and white glue as well as a lot of other types.
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz