Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 05, 2006, 04:43 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCasey
OK, here's your chance. I conned the Mrs into giving me a Switchback Sport for my birthday. It is in-transit. Before I start gluing my fingers to balsawood, what would be the trick feature/modification you would use?

I got the Himax 2015-5400 brushless, 18A ESC, and a 3-cell 1100mah LiPo pack.

I AM confused about one thing: MM shows a pic of the Himax motor with a prop mount, but Brian at MM said I would need a gearbox. Is this direct drive or not?
We've all done a few mods here and there but nothing is really necessary. The plane is just great as is. I always make a battery tray but it's just my preference. I also change the canopy attachment method but again it's not needed. Just build and enjoy.

The 2015-5400 is an inrunner and must be geared. This is also a very high rpm motor and really better suited to a 2S battery. You can run it 3S but make sure you use a "D" gear and probably no bigger than a 9x6 prop or you'll bar-b-que the motor/battery and ESC due to excess amp draw. The 4100 would have been a better choice for the battery you have.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2006, 07:38 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,540 Posts
I ran my Dandy Sport on the same motor on 3s1500 and a C drive. If I remember right it was either a 10x7 or a 9x6 prop. Measure the current!! I also would fly it on an 8x1100 NiMh pack when it got windy, just for the extra weight.

The only mod I could suggest would be down the line a bit, after you are getting bored with the stock version. Put in two aileron servos, one for each side. Then you can "play" with flaperons, mixing ailerons with elevator, etc.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Aug 06, 2006, 05:45 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,248 Posts
New Switchback..

Cool...yep...Joe and Charlie are right,that motor will work but it must be used with a gearbox.I'd use the 9 tooth pinion and 66 tooth spur gear for 7.3:1 and after measuring the current..most likely use a 10X4.7 prop.The mods for this plane are plenty...most of us make a batt tray and add some additional balsa or liteply in the landing gear area.You might do a Switchback mod search and read up on 'em.Most builders use the GWS 300/350 gearbox or others...here's a pic of the GB I used for a hot Feigao,also 7.3:1 and they can be ordered from many vendors.One of the best is www.b-p-p.com
One other thing...order a 20mm heatsink to go over the motor,that 5400kv version is H-O-T.MP products make a good one for about $2-3 at your LHS.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Aug 06, 2006, 06:48 AM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
Martin - What floats are on your SB Floatplane ?
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Aug 08, 2006, 05:23 AM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
you mean this SB???

Martin musta built about 8 of em with all different mods
Including a Bipe

http://www.foamfloats.com/gall26.jpg
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:05 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Kevin, they're the foamfloats.com 19" solid set but I don't think he's doing floats anymore.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:06 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Correction; I just checked the site and "we're back", he says. Cool! Last time I looked he was taking some time off.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:50 AM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,477 Posts
Here's my late and lamented baby. Powered by an MPjet 25/26. This thread makes me want to build another.
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:19 AM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Nice Switchbacks..

Chuck,very good looking Switchback!!I like the patriotic colors and Texas star.Tell us about it...to bad you lost it. You really should build another.If I can ever get a few days off I will be finishing my SB and put a bunch of flights on it.Then I hope to start covering the EVA Sport.
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Last edited by Diesel Dan; Aug 26, 2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:12 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,005 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of going brushless whenmy current brushed motor dies. I'm running a GWS EPS-350-C motor and gear box.

I'm new to brushless motors. Is there a motor that will "drop" in to the GWS gear box with appropriate power? If not, what brushless motors are you guys using?

Thanks,

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:26 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
Hey Chuck, the current Switchback color scheme that I'm working on looks very similar to your departed. Also, Carl, MY departed Switchback looks eerily like yours. Spooky

By the way I had very good luck with a Himax 2808-0980 outrunner. Has a stick mount so it is a drop in replacment. Prop is APC 9x6. Can't remember exact amp draw. Battery is 1200-1500 3 series Li-poly. Good luck.

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Last edited by Ahawk; Oct 24, 2006 at 08:23 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:56 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
Carl, I used a miniAC/16 in that gearbox. Had to drill out the pinion. Put a bit of masking tape around the motor to 'fill' the box and good to go. Plenty of power here for the SB on 8 cells. I have two of these motors and they are still going strong after several years (one is currently in my son's small Heli in fact) . Razor motors used to be 'drop in' too. You can also get a small outrunner like the AXI 2208/34. 2208/26. or 2212/26 (I think this is motor I'd use) . I believe MM or SA (someone) has a stick mount for these motors.

MiniAc Motors

Axi Motors
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:31 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Carl,

Many of the 20mm motors (Castle CM-20xx, Himax HA-2015-xx or 2025-xx, Hacker B-20, etc.) can be fitted to the GWS box with adapter rings that are available from Stevens Aero, Maxx products and others.

How much extra boost to you want to add? What batteries do you want to use? With those two bits of info I'm sure we can come up with several possibilities.

I particularly like the Castle CM-20s as they seem to run cooler than equivalently rated Himaxes.

You can also use an adapter mount from Moutain Models or GWS or Stevens Aero and ditch the gearbox (and its noise) and go to an outrunner. LOTS of good choices there as well, from cheap to, well, not so cheap.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:22 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
switchback sport

I can understand why so many people are raving about mountain models airplanes, they are awesome. I am hooked, I already started on an EVA sport, and I think that it will be even better than the switchback if thats even possible. If you like flying electrics you owe it to yourself to check out their website and order a kit, they have something for every skill level. It was very fun to build, I will definetly build more!
windshear is offline Find More Posts by windshear
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:21 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
793 Posts
Hey Windshear,

Great job on the SB. I like the covering scheme. I built my first Switchback in late 2002 and still fly it often. Except for the motor (now brushless) it has all of the original parts and covering. Not as pretty as it was new, but still flies as well. I now have 7 MM's assorted planes and love them all. Check the picture in my avtar, then look at the EVA sport on MM's website.

Congratulations, it's easy to become a MM addict.

Glenn
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif