SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 24, 2006, 02:58 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
806 Posts
Wow, what a great looking batch of Switchbacks.

Jodi,
Congratulations on the build and maiden. My first balsa build was also Switchback.

Brian is back in the loop now..... let's keep this thread going.... he's going to need to sell allot of Switchbacks to pay for diapers....
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2006, 06:51 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,298 Posts
Jody,

Great job on the maiden! I knew you'd love it. The lighter weight of the Li-Po's really wakes this plane up. Now I fly mine with an AXI 2212/34 on 3S 730 or 900 Thunder Power packs. It floats forever and it finally has the performance I was expecting from the AXI. This is with the sport wing. Maybe I'll toss a GT wing on this fuse and power package and see what it does at this lower weight. I usually fly my GT's with Himax 2025-4200's and 3S 1320's. Nothing like being way overpowered.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:39 PM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Mar 2001
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenclif
Brian is back in the loop now..... let's keep this thread going.... he's going to need to sell allot of Switchbacks to pay for diapers....
Well, partially back anyway. Aidan is still having problems with his oxygen levels. They more than doubled the amount he's getting today and he's still in the low 90% for satturation rate. He'll get better and it is nice having him here instead of the NICU.

Yup, need to sell tons of Switchbacks and others to pay for diapers... ugh!

Brian
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Old Jul 25, 2006, 02:06 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,185 Posts
I restored my really fractured and "held together by CYA" SB3D, new tail feathers, new ailerons sewn hinges instead of tape and a mighty Hobby Lobby/Esskay 400XT driving a GWS 9x5 DD prop on a 1300ma 3S lipo or a 3S Lipo. Performance is good but not wild on the 400XT, takes a while to spool up from low to max throttle, like a jet turbine. Previous power was MiniAC1215/16 in a GWS 300C "C" ratio gearbox, more lively. Econokote, trim film scallops and black pinstriping tape. Landing gear is reversed style, works very well.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Sep 04, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:18 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,773 Posts
You guys are killing me. Now I want another SB (to replace my deceased one) !
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:26 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Ok, I'll add everyone's at once and get it over with since no ones posted it yet Hah! . Gotta be in every Switchback thread . Martin Hunter's collage .... All you can see of mine is the black canopy in the upper right area .
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Jul 26, 2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 09:13 AM
Watch This !!!
Joined Jun 2002
806 Posts
Sundoggy,

Go ahead and order, post a picture when it's complete

Rclark,

That was a great thread. Martin did a fantastic job on the collage, my original Switchback is buried in that pile somewhere.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 06:58 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark
Ok, I'll add everyone's at once and get it over with since no ones posted it yet Hah! . Gotta be in every Switchback thread . Martin Hunter's collage .... All you can see of mine is the black canopy in the upper right area .
Mines in the upper right Quadrant
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jul 30, 2006, 07:26 PM
lukeselectric-rc
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Mar 2004
661 Posts
Ok now i need one of these!

They were first popular when i was first starting out and i always wanted one but at the time didnt have the flying skills.

Other models have caught my eye since and now im flying mainly foamie but reading through this thread the charm of the switchback has made me want one again!

I have a 1200mah 2s lipo that should be nice and light,what gw motor/gearbox/prop combo would work best for me?I could just put a brushless and 3s in there but i have other planes for tearing round the sky,also which wing do you guys prefer,i know thatll be a tricky choice?

Thanks fellas,

Luke
luke15 is offline Find More Posts by luke15
Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:17 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,821 Posts
The recommended geared setup works ok (EPS300/EPS350). Will also work really well on a small outrunner or geared brushless.

How do you like to fly? Sport wing for std aerobatics and with pretty good directional stability. GT if you want to get serious about aerobatics and can live with the loss of stability in straight and level.

Hey, why not buy both. That way you can fit the wing according to your mood of the day.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:30 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke15
I have a 1200mah 2s lipo that should be nice and light,what gw motor/gearbox/prop combo would work best for me?I could just put a brushless and 3s in there but i have other planes for tearing round the sky,also which wing do you guys prefer,i know thatll be a tricky choice?
Luke
I use 2S 1250's 8C cells on a GWS 300C-B with a GWS 9X7 (which was Doug's original recommendation for 8 AAA's). Pulls under 8A wide open. Flies well, not 3D type performance, but nice sport performance. Can outside loop without problem and do most sport type aerobatics. Doug changed the recommendation to a GWS 300C-C with a GWS 10X6 later on so that might be a little better. I never tried it because mine did fine with the B and 9X7.

I like the 3D wing. I've had the sport wing kit for 4 years and never bothered building it. I have the retract kit too, always planned on building the sport wing with retracts, but haven't gotten around to it.

Jim
Jim Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Jul 31, 2006, 09:01 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
Mine flies great on the Hobby lobby esky 400xt outrunner, it is often on sale for $19. It won't hover, but will fly with authority.
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:45 AM
Watch This !!!
Joined Jun 2002
806 Posts
Luke,

The SB will fly perfectly with Dougs brushed motor recommended setup. GWS 350C-C with 10x8 GWS prop and 2s Lipos will work perfect. For a huge boost in performance a small stick mounted outrunner, is even better. I still use the AXI 2212/34 with a 10x7 APC for excellent performance.

The Sport wing will fly and land slower, and in my opinion is more suited for a brushed setup than the GT wing. The GT likes more speed and lands quite a bit hotter.

Whatever setup you decide, you'll be quite happy.

AirWarriorBelgy,

Great photos. I remember those Great looking SB's.
Old Aug 05, 2006, 05:21 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
841 Posts
OK, here's your chance. I conned the Mrs into giving me a Switchback Sport for my birthday. It is in-transit. Before I start gluing my fingers to balsawood, what would be the trick feature/modification you would use?

I got the Himax 2015-5400 brushless, 18A ESC, and a 3-cell 1100mah LiPo pack.

I AM confused about one thing: MM shows a pic of the Himax motor with a prop mount, but Brian at MM said I would need a gearbox. Is this direct drive or not?
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Aug 05, 2006, 05:30 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Jim,

The HiMax 2015 will need a gearbox, and probably an adapter. A standard GWS gearbox will work fine.
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.