HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:27 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,773 Posts
How do you all keep your switchbacks looking so pristine? Even without crashing, I ended up with dings and dents in the balsa here and there just from handling it. Of course, that paled in comparison to what it looked like when I rekitted it.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2006, 02:11 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLost

My current 'Backyard' field is to rocky for the retracts..

Too Rocky???? What about the 4' grass?
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:14 PM
David
Monrovia, AL, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,253 Posts
Joe, got any pics of how you did the wing mounted fixed gear???

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
OK. Here are a few of mine. I've got extra wings stacked like cordwood! I have a couple kits still in the bags that I'm saving for when you can't get them anymore. I'll always have a SwitchBack in the hangar!

Joe
dleviner is offline Find More Posts by dleviner
Old Jul 13, 2006, 06:20 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleviner
Joe, got any pics of how you did the wing mounted fixed gear???
Yep. Sure do. This is a scratch built wing with a rib design from the Profili Pro wing designer program. I don't remember which design though. Note the lightening cutouts in the ribs. The program prints out the templates for you. Well worth the $40.00.
The gear could have been mounted any number of ways. This was just quick and simple.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 16, 2006, 07:32 AM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
All around SB

great lookin Switchbacks...I intend to try something new with mine...a very light build with the Apache 20-34 on 2 cells for about 10 ozs.Should be interesting...I have both wings...I'm leaning towards the GT wing and Solarfilm Orange and white would look good.Now if I can get a few days off..
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:17 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Hey guys,

Good to see all these Switchbacks. I've been so busy lately that I haven't checked in with RCGroups. It was great to see this thread.

Brian mentioned to me that the database server crashed the other day. That explained the web error. Brian has been out of touch the last few days as he is now a dad.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:50 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
great lookin Switchbacks...I intend to try something new with mine...a very light build with the Apache 20-34 on 2 cells for about 10 ozs.Should be interesting...I have both wings...I'm leaning towards the GT wing and Solarfilm Orange and white would look good.Now if I can get a few days off..
Dan, I tried to lighten mine up by powering it with a 20mm CustomCrd single, about 25 grams and a 3S 730 Thunderpower Lithum. Flew it in around a 4 to 6 mph breeze and overshot the runway about 5 times trying to land the darn thing! I had to fly it down to get it back on the ground, it just keep going and going!!!

Your going to end up with a sweet little calm day flyer by going light. A 2S 430 Li-Po batt would be the ticket.
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:58 PM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
Light and floaty..

This little Apache I mentioned is advertised as 29 grams,my scale shows 33 with (big 3.5 mm..!)connectors,I guess that should fly it well.It also mentions 'will 3-D up to 10 oz. and acrobatics for up to 16 ozs.'WOW..Nicely made motor with 1500kv rating and 12 ozs. thrust @ 7.4 v.I'll have to use my existing 2 cell batts of 800 and 1200 mah,I think this should work fine,Did you remember the weight of your SB..?and was it with the sport wing or GT...?
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Old Jul 16, 2006, 01:31 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,516 Posts
Dan, I dont have a scale, but I'd guess with the 730 3S batt. & cdr motor, it couldent be over 10, maby 10&1'2 oz.

I have the sport wing. Put some velcro up near the wing leading edge because you'll need to push the batt. as far forward as it'll go for C/G!
Old Jul 16, 2006, 01:39 PM
gram obsessive
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2005
743 Posts
Dan,
I have been toying with the same idea. I have a Dandy Sport with the GWS 350 motor (heavy) that I've been flying with Stevens Aero's new 730 2S battery. My flying weight is 9 3/4 oz. It is a delight. I was thinking of a SB with the GWS 2205-15 outrunner. Same idea as the Apache you have. The GWS weighs 29g and works best on 2S. It you built light and used light components, I know you could come in under 9 oz. AUW. It would be a real floater, and a hot dog all in one.

One suggestion; establish the balance before you perminently mount your gear so you don't end up tail heavy because the motor is so light. Let us know how yours works out!!!
T.B. is offline Find More Posts by T.B.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 02:58 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,298 Posts
I'm pretty sure Wes (1987tc) built a nice sub 10 ounce SwitchBack some time back. P.M. him for details.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 16, 2006, 05:19 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Martin Hunter has been known to fly a Switchback that is lightly built on a GWS IPS drive - indoors! It really works very well.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 16, 2006, 06:00 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Martin Hunter has been known to fly a Switchback that is lightly built on a GWS IPS drive - indoors! It really works very well.
I flew mine last night at an indoor socker field, was a little fast for the size of the field. A GWS "A" drive and brushless 12mm motor would be the ticket for indoor. Built light, 4 gram servos, pretty tempting!
Old Jul 16, 2006, 09:09 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Wayne, that's my original SB-3D on the end of your new-in-box switchback. Wild

Bernard's right - with the proper power setup, indoor flight is quite enjoyable. I took my Switchback Sport RG setup and stuck a CDRom motor in it this past january, then happily flew it in a 120x300 indoor area at an AUW of 11 oz or so.

I've had so many incarnations, I won't even begin to post pictures but here's the latest build. This one was built about 3 years ago now by Christine and it just keeps on going. These pictures were taken a week ago today at a local lake.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:18 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
806 Posts
Martin,
Great Pictures. You look so relaxed. Christine builds a great looking Switchback.

Bernard,
I'm flying both of mine on your AXI 2212/34 Silent Afterburner setup. It seems like the perfect combo for this plane.

Doug,
Good to hear from you, I knew this thread would find you somehow.
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif