HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:56 PM
Watch This !!!
United States, FL, New Smyrna Beach
Joined Jun 2002
794 Posts
Discussion
Mountain Models Switchback Revival

For all the MM's fans and loyal following, I thought I would start a new thread to revive the Switchback frenzy from a few years ago.

Jump on this thread, and post your latest or your oldest Switchback.

There is something special about building and covering your own unique kit. ARF's are just not the same.

Please post only Switchbacks in this thread, even if you've posted yours before in another thread, feel free to post it again here.

This one is brand new, the kit has been hiding in the closet for about 3 years, so I finally decided to built it.

Symmetrical 3D Wing
Solarfilm Covering
AXI 2212/34 (Silent Afterburner)
Cobri Mount
3 HS 55's
CC Thunderbird 18A
Cirrus Receiver and XM Radio
glenclif is offline Find More Posts by glenclif
Last edited by glenclif; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:05 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
Here are just a few of the Switchbacks that I have had.
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:14 PM
Wexford, PA
Joined Mar 2001
464 Posts
I'm really glad to see this thread because I haven't been seeing much about the SwitchBack on the forum and it's still probably my favorite plane.

The first picture is my SB as I originally built it in Jan. 02 using the supplied covering, painted fuselage and the original wood wheels. In Nov. 03 I recovered it and changed to the new foam wheels. In Jan. of this year I crashed it pretty bad and wiped out the fuselage. I got a fuselage kit and rebuilt the fuselage and covered it this time, I also got the new style canopy even though my old one wasn't damaged. Picture 3 is the way it looks now. New fuselage, but still has the original wings and tail feathers. I'm still flying it on a GWS B and 9X7 prop which was Doug's original recommendation (have gone through several motors) although I have switched to lipos now. I have a brushless sitting here ready to go in when this motor dies but it's flying good so I'm in no hurry to change it out. I hope this thread will bring about some new interest in the SwitchBack because it's a great plane.

Jim Taylor
Jim Taylor is online now Find More Posts by Jim Taylor
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:08 AM
Watch This !!!
Joined Jun 2002
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Taylor
I'm really glad to see this thread because I haven't been seeing much about the SwitchBack on the forum and it's still probably my favorite plane.

I hope this thread will bring about some new interest in the SwitchBack because it's a great plane.

Jim Taylor
I couldn't agree more, there are so many pilots who have never tried a laser cut balsa build, and the enjoyment of building and covering. The Switchback is one of the first and original balsa park flyers.

Here is a photo of the original SB before I put the white trim on the leading edge of the wings. The trim sure made it allot easer to see.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:52 AM
Oviedo, Florida
Joined Jul 2004
54 Posts
Switchback

Just thought I'd post a picture of my Switchback. Running just a GWS 350C-C have over 80 flights. Great sport aerobatic airplane. Starting to show it's age ( 2 Yrs) thinking about getting another kit just to have around when this one finally gives up the ghost.
jmtdmt is offline Find More Posts by jmtdmt
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,511 Posts
I was just looking at MM website and got this error:
Warning: mysql_connect(): User laserart_brian has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/laserart/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 19
Unable to connect to database server!

Not something I am used to seeing there!
1987tc is online now Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:23 PM
Watch This !!!
Joined Jun 2002
794 Posts
Great looking Switchbacks !! This kind of reminds me of the old picture collage, there were hundreds of photos in that thread.

Hmmmm....... I guess there must be a renewed interest balsa kits.... more than 'max user connections' Everyone must be trying to hit the website at once.....Go Brian....

Hey Doug,

If you're out there lurking somewhere feel free to chime in.... we miss you.....

Glenn
Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:41 PM
Perfecting pilot error
Joined Oct 2004
149 Posts
The blue Switchback was my first. It was also my first aerobatic plane and first I put dual aileron servos in. Flew great until I lost orientation one day and came down hard into a house that neighbors the park I fly at. Thankfully nobody was home and the only thing hurt was my pride.

The yellow and turquoise Switchback was my 2nd. It started as a repair/rebuild of the blue one, but before long I ended up with a new fuse kit and scratch built a new wing. My old canopy was busted from the blue one, so I made this one into an open cockpit and added a pilot (at least if I'm flying poorly I've got someone to blame it on).

Sadly she's become a bit of a hangar queen, as the parks department seems to put the field I use on the "mow when we've run out of other things to do" list, and the low gear and tailwheel don't agree with the tall grass and moderately rough surface. My Dandy Sport, on the other hand, seems to care less.

Louis
Cycletherapy is offline Find More Posts by Cycletherapy
Old Jul 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
Here's my first Switchback with the sport wing. It was recovered in black and red, better covering job too. No pictures though.

Working on number two, which will have a patriotic theme.

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:29 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Here's my three.

Second one is getting close to retirement. #1 had 94 flights, #2 has 622, so far. #3 is still waiting in reserve.

After 38 different planes the Switchback is still one of my all time favorites, and still goes to the field almost every time.

Wayne
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:06 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I was a Switchbackaholic also. Here's a pic of my three. I'm down to just the yellow one now but I'm thinking about selling it. Its a great plane and super flyer but my tastes are moving to larger planes. I'd like to give it a good home. If anybody is interested, PM me.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:58 PM
Watch This !!!
Joined Jun 2002
794 Posts
I knew this thread would bring out some beautiful unique Switchbacks.

Turbo Joe wins the prize so far for collecting the most, and even a twin.

Patrick has a smile on his face he's a happy pilot.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:50 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
got mine from a fellow club member. re-covered and did the two seat mod. loose interpratation of a PT-20. i put on the GT wing (which i got in the deal) and
WOW! whole different animal.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Jul 12, 2006 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:02 AM
My Bulldog is my copilot ..
Joined Feb 2004
2,263 Posts
Here is mine... She's over 2 years old now.

Axi 2212/34
Berg 5 rx
3x HS-55's (A/E/R)
1x HS-56 (Retracts)
3s 1320mah TP's

She spends most of her time on the wall now. My current 'Backyard' field is to rocky for the retracts.. but she'll always be one of my favorites.

~Brian
TheLost is offline Find More Posts by TheLost