SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:59 AM
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Dec 1996
354 Posts
Diggs, can you post the details on where you got the LED strips / glow wires for the night flying setup?
cnims is offline Find More Posts by cnims
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:36 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnims
Diggs, can you post the details on where you got the LED strips / glow wires for the night flying setup?

Pretty much my entire setup came from Hobby City. The wing I got second hand, and the RX I already owned, but motor and mount, servos, lights and lipo all came from hobby city. They have 3 of the 6 colors on their flash sale right now.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...y_products.asp

Also, just type LED in the search field on the home page and you will see all the colors they offer.

Go with a dimmer color like amber/yellow on the bottom. IMO the green, white and blue are too bright for the bottom of the wing if you run it on a 3S setup.

Here is a direct link to the green I used.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8940

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Hey Diggs;

Just curious - because I've been considering those LED strips for a few planes...
From what I remember reading, you can cut them to length or patch them together.. is that right?
How about your power.. are you connecting right to the battery or a spare RX channel?
I am assuming the strips don't come with any type of connector - are they pretty easy to solder??

Thx!
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Jun 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
Hey Diggs;

Just curious - because I've been considering those LED strips for a few planes...
From what I remember reading, you can cut them to length or patch them together.. is that right?
How about your power.. are you connecting right to the battery or a spare RX channel?
I am assuming the strips don't come with any type of connector - are they pretty easy to solder??

Thx!

Yep, they have marked sections where you can cut them so you can resize the strips. I cut mine in half for Swift. On strip on top halved and same on bottom. It is running off my flight pack, and I wired the strips directly to the power plug at the ESC. No connector, just some bare wire, but yes they are simple to solder. I did the soldering after I mounted the strips on the wing and didn't burn/melt the EPP!

Diggs
Old Jun 21, 2009, 05:11 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Third Batch

I just finished up my 4th Swift II. This one was built at the request of my uncle Stu. After seeing Brian and I fly ours a few times, Stu decided he had to have one for himself. So I followed my secret recipe and brewed up a third "Super Swift II". Hope you enjoy the pudding Stu, and thanks for the nice motor!

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Hey guys, isn't the color on this one nice and bold compared to what we're used to from MS? Stu's a lucky guy!

Forgot the specs:
LSPJ 2800kV
TP PL2 3s1350 lipo
APC 6x5.5e
CC Phoenix 25 esc
HXT900 servos
Spektrum rx
AUW=11.42oz

My swift is 1/10oz lighter, probably because I shortened all my esc wires.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Jun 23, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 06:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
I just finished up my 4th Swift II. This one was built at the request of my uncle Stu. After seeing Brian and I fly ours a few times, Stu decided he had to have one for himself. So I followed my secret recipe and brewed up a third "Super Swift II". Hope you enjoy the pudding Stu, and thanks for the nice motor!

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Hey guys, isn't the color on this one nice and bold compared to what we're used to from MS? Stu's a lucky guy!]

That Dragon scheme is HOT! I picked one up at SEFF after Jamie did his review on one for ATTF. It does look much better than many of the older schemes and the color seems less "bleached" out as well. I like how you did the motor mount, and I also prefer the servos on the top. The big stripe on the bottom looks good as well and again, nice and clean! Well done. He should be a happy pilot with that setup.

Diggs
Old Jun 22, 2009, 08:15 AM
Don't fly over your head!!!
United States, AZ, Fountain Hills
Joined Apr 2005
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Hey guys, isn't the color on this one nice and bold compared to what we're used to from MS? Stu's a lucky guy!]
Wow, nice clean build. I am just finishing my first Swift II and it looks nothing like that! Your pix make me want to buy another Swift II and try again.

Running gear on my Swift II:

Custom CDR Hot Wind Single motor
CC TB9 ESC
AR6100E rx
HXT 500 servos -carbon rod/metal end pushrods
TP Prolite 910mAh 3S (66 grams)
GWS EP7035 prop

AUW = 234 grams = 8.25 oz

I originally wanted to go 2S with a larger prop, but the balance worked out better with the smaller, lighter prop and heavier battery. If I add more tape to the nose, I might try the 2s setup again.
I haven't flown it yet, but I powered it up and the pull is very strong.
The amp draw will test to see if the CC TB9 is underrated.

LPA
LostPlanetAirman is offline Find More Posts by LostPlanetAirman
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:47 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
LPA and Diggs, thanks for the generous complements; it makes me feel better about all the hours I put in to it.

It was a huge heartbreaker when my first "Superswift" build folded in flight, totaling itself in an instant (due to inadequate spars)... sooooooooooo many hours of design and building down the drain in a split second. The last 3 Swifts went together in half the time since I didn't change much from the original design (just added 3 spars up top). At least I know the last 3 I built will be around for years to come... God willing, hehe.

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: To anyone interested. I wrote down all the important dimensions when I built my 2nd one, so If anyone wants to build a "superswift" for themselves, let me know and I'll put together a sketch. Keep in mind, building the "superswift" is not for the faint of heart; there's a lot of hotwire, cutting, and patience involved.]
Last edited by Truglodite; Jun 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 03:39 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hi all, i have the swift 2 and am using this HiModel A2212/06 2200KV Outrunner Brushless Motor with HiModel 1300 mah 7.4V 2S 20C Lipo Battery and was wondering whats the best prop size to use, i have got the 8 X 6, recommended on the build thread, but with having a different lipo i was just wondering if i should be using either a smaller prop or maybe bigger, not too sure, any one know
thanks
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Jun 23, 2009, 08:04 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Carl, I don't know 100% but I'm pretty sure an 8x6 is going to be way too big. There are a lot of different numbers floating around the internet for that motor, so I can't be as accurate as I'd like, but here's what I do know: an apc 7x5e will pull between 22-29A, which IMHO is way too much for that pack.

I'd probably start with an apc6x5.5e. That should put you between 15-18A, which should be plenty. Theoretically you shouldn't set up to draw more than 26A with your battery, but I'd stay closer to 20A so the battery lasts long. I'm not sure what the most "efficient prop" for that motor on 2s would be; maybe someone who owns one of these will chime in with better info.

Anyhow, that motor should make your swift faster than the average!

Cheers,
Kev
Old Jun 24, 2009, 10:58 AM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
thanks for that kev, i will try some of the different sizes i have, and see which is ok, and maybe i will try a 3 cell with the 8x6 when i order one, but there is so much thrust with the 8x6 prop on the 2 cell but a pity it will kill my 2 cell, and just another question, anyone know the correct size of surgical tubing to use on a 3mm shaft prop saver
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Last edited by doggit; Jun 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:31 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvace
I just informed through a US supplier that MScomposite went out of business. Just wondering can anyone confirm this.
read this everyone before you buy again

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post12539598
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:29 AM
Joined Mar 2009
206 Posts
I just got my first Swift II. I went into a local shop and it was hanging on the wall, just a bare wing - display model.
They had sold out and said they couldn't get any more from the supplier?
Anyway, I snagged it for $20. It's the "Freedom Warrior" model.

I figured it would be a nice plane to throw some of my spare stuff into...

Tower Pro 2409/12 motor and 25A ESC.
With an 8x6 prop, it makes over 200 watts, so this should be intresting.
HXT900 servos
Spektrum 6100e receiver
FlightMax 1000mah 3s 25c

I used carbon fiber for push rods and I also layed in a thin 19" strip of carbon fiber to stiffen it up the wing a bit.
For a motor mount, I used a 4" piece of carbon fiber 10mm square tubbing and a GWS plastic motor mount. I cut a channel in the foam, then glued it in with epoxy. Feels pretty firm.

It weighs in at 12 ounces (342 grams) ready to fly.

Feels very powerful and wants to fly out of my hand. Should be fast!
I may get to maiden it Saturday afternoon. Can't wait!

What are your initial thoughts?
Good set up? Too heavy? Too much power? scratch that last one...
Phoenix426 is offline Find More Posts by Phoenix426
Last edited by Phoenix426; Jun 27, 2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:41 AM
Joined Mar 2009
206 Posts
Also, what is the recommended CG?

Right now, my plane is balancing about 7 1/4" from the tip of the nose.

Anybody know where I can download the user manual?
Last edited by Phoenix426; Jun 27, 2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2009
206 Posts
I got to fly my swift today. Not bad. I think it likes flying slow more than fast.
My Tower Pro motor and 8x6 prop makes it torque roll like mad.
I guess the solution to that would be a higher KV motor and smaller diameter prop.

She flies great on this set up at half throttle. The balance was just about perfect. I think I'd like it to be just a tad more nose heavy.

I did manage to get it to fly fairly straight at full throttle for a few moments but it wouldn't turn.
I'm guessing there is too much flex in the EPP control surfaces.

I'm thinking of replacing the control surfaces with depron foam as well as the wingtip fins. Stiffer would be better.