HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2009, 08:59 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,985 Posts
Just an observation. I looked up that Blue Monster that is linked above and I am wondering if it is not the same as the Blue Wonder... The specifications, the motor itself, the packing box... it all looks identical to what I received when I ordered my Blue Wonder from United Hobbies...
AC5FF is online now Find More Posts by AC5FF
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2009, 09:10 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,768 Posts
Lasertoyz has a Blue Wonder with 1200 KV-- 110 Watts while the Blue Monster is 1700 kv 135 watts. I don't know what United Hobbies Blue Wonder is as it appears they no longer are selling them.
How do you like your Blue Wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
Just an observation. I looked up that Blue Monster that is linked above and I am wondering if it is not the same as the Blue Wonder... The specifications, the motor itself, the packing box... it all looks identical to what I received when I ordered my Blue Wonder from United Hobbies...
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old May 21, 2009, 09:17 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,985 Posts
I love mine. Takes my swift vertical with ease. I'm using a 7x5 MasterAirscrew prop with a heavier 1050mAH 3s pack. I also just picked up an Electrifly Pluma. I'm looking to get another one of these to use w/it.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:38 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
just glued my swift back together, had aa nice crack down the left wing because a crash due to loss of signal. ar6100e coming tomarrow! but its back together, stronger than ever, and this time used adhesive spray, then put glass tape over. super strong and light, cant wait to re maiden!
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old May 22, 2009, 07:52 AM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
... deleted - duplicate
dhadz1 is offline Find More Posts by dhadz1
Old May 22, 2009, 07:55 AM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
I don't know what United Hobbies Blue Wonder is as it appears they no longer are selling them.
How do you like your Blue Wonder?

Here are the links to 1500kv and 1700kv versions at Hobby King (United)

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv

HeadsUpRC also has a nice write up on the 1700kv - lots of good information on various battery/prop combinations.
2712-17 Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor

I'm running the 1500 on 3s800 mah and an APC 7x5e prop. It's got >50 flights on it and it's going strong. It does what I want for a light build --- nice combination of a slow floater (great for low formation flying around obstacles) with the power to go vertical until it's a dot.

Good luck!
Dave
Old May 22, 2009, 10:24 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,768 Posts
Is anyone have problems with the servos being broken being on the bottom of the wing. On my Swift I moved them to the top but I like the cleaner look for the Swift II and leave them on the bottom.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:49 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
na. I used round servo horns as guards. Just slit the epp next to the servo arm, put some CA down and slid them in so 1/2 circle sticks out just farther than the servo arm.
lucky I did too.. they came in handy once so far.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old May 22, 2009, 10:50 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,768 Posts
I wonder how the Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1700kv and the Blue Monster compare to the hextronik motor. It appears the 2712-17 is the same motor as the Blue Monster. The hexTronik has the best price but I am leaning towards the Blue Monster, it is only $6 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhadz1
Here are the links to 1500kv and 1700kv versions at Hobby King (United)

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv

hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1700kv

HeadsUpRC also has a nice write up on the 1700kv - lots of good information on various battery/prop combinations.
2712-17 Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor

I'm running the 1500 on 3s800 mah and an APC 7x5e prop. It's got >50 flights on it and it's going strong. It does what I want for a light build --- nice combination of a slow floater (great for low formation flying around obstacles) with the power to go vertical until it's a dot.

Good luck!
Dave
Last edited by bobf; May 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:02 PM
TeachSeventh
Houston
Joined Dec 2008
116 Posts
Bottom Mount Servos

Hi Bob,

I left my servos in the original config on the bottom. Made the maiden on my Swift II last Sunday. This week I have over 40 flights on it. Mine is a little heavier, not much but some due to the motor choice I used. Tower Pro 2409 12 Turn. What I have discovered on the landing is the flare right before touch down. Start pulling your nose up to slow it down about 20 feet out and it will plop down right beside you. My point is it really doesn't come sliding in for any distance at all assuming you're not coming in hot. That's another benefit to landing before the ESC goes into shut down. You have some power left to go around for another try if you don't like the approach. I have included some photos of my HXT servos and how I mounted them. Used the stock cut outs with a few drops of hot glue in the bottom and then smeared a little more on the top of the servo' with a wet finger. My pushrod support is a cable tie about half way back. I cut the cable tie with 1/2 inch exposed. Cut a slot and glue it in. You can see in the photos that there really isn't that much sticking out to grab anything other than some tall grass or weeds which so far has not been a problem. Run your pushrod through the eye of the cable tie. Great super fun plane. Everyone at my RC field stops to watch it fly. Liked your previous post on the Blue Thunder review. I bought the wind it yourself kit of the Blue Thunder from Hobby City to use on my next Swift II.

Good luck,

Joe
W5BSA is offline Find More Posts by W5BSA
Last edited by W5BSA; May 22, 2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old May 23, 2009, 07:17 AM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
I wonder how the Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1700kv and the Blue Monster compare to the hextronik motor. It appears the 2712-17 is the same motor as the Blue Monster. The hexTronik has the best price but I am leaning towards the Blue Monster, it is only $6 more.

go for the blue monstor, its great on my swift, just get the wall mount. Instead of waiting for weeks from hong kong, I got mine in 1 days shipping. great people. Also sent me two free props!
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old May 23, 2009, 07:38 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
go for the blue monstor, its great on my swift, just get the wall mount. Instead of waiting for weeks from hong kong, I got mine in 1 days shipping. great people. Also sent me two free props!
That does look like a nice motor indeed! And a good price. Hobbycity is nice, but the wait...uugggh.
Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik
Old May 23, 2009, 09:32 AM
Joined Sep 2007
2,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiber Optik
That does look like a nice motor indeed! And a good price. Hobbycity is nice, but the wait...uugggh.
Is HC still getting slower on their shipments?? I used to get my shipments in under a week; lately though I've had to wait just under a month!!! They tell me that it is due to the # of orders - but it would have to be a tremendous amount to slow them down this much!
Old May 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
Quote:
Is anyone have problems with the servos being broken being on the bottom of the wing. On my Swift I moved them to the top but I like the cleaner look for the Swift II and leave them on the bottom.
I cut a cheap poker chip in half to make guards and also a small triangle of EPP to protect the battery.

For pics see:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=901
Old May 23, 2009, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,985 Posts
I installed my control horns without using the screw to secure it to the servo. Doing it like this allows the arm to easily pop off of the servo w/out stripping or breaking the servo. Occasionally I may bend a pushrod, but that's a far cry from needing to replace the servo! Last night a couple rough landings on the concrete floor while flying indoors would have destroyed my servos if I had not set things up this way. Also, one real rough landing caused my battery door to pop open and the battery slid across the cement 30ft or so... No damage anywhere. Reinstalled the pack and tossed it back into the air.

I like the pokerchip idea!! I am going to have to see if I can finda cheap one and do the same..