SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2009, 03:29 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC5FF
what would be the reason for a larger motor?
More speed and/or vertical performance.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2009, 10:27 AM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
My Swift on had one set of horns in the kit. They were fairly small but they work great.

Regarding the motor selection: I'm a small motor advocate on this wing. I built mine to Diggs' specs and its great. As it stands the last 1/4" of throttle travel, to full power, results in little increase in forward speed yet I can hear the motor working harder. I am guessing that this airframe has a fairly low "terminal velocity" and putting more and more power on it is not efficient.

The main issue with larger motors is larger batteries, both to power the larger motor and to keep the CG from the extra weight in check. Its a vicious cycle from there, more motor, more battery, more weight, more speed, etc. This detracts from what, IMHO, is one of the best features of this wing-low speed capability. Setup light its a joy on windless days, you won't believe how low and slow it will fly. Even so, setup like this its no slouch. I fly mine in 10-15mph wind with no issues. Its not "slow" by any stretch.

If you want to go really fast then a Ritewing is a much better choice.

RT
rwthomas1 is offline Find More Posts by rwthomas1
Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,969 Posts
Thx for the info.. I do have one question on that motor that Diggs recommended. I have a few of the TowerPro motors here and they look real similar but I am missing the actual specs from Hextronix motor.

Can someone who is good w/these things compair these two motors and let me know what the differences are (performance wise)...

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=5208
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=4853

Thx
AC5FF is online now Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:30 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Most all the data you would want for those motors can be found at HeadsupRC.

TP
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

BlueWonder
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I have used both, and the BW is going to pull less amps and weigh less so you can use smaller lipos and maintain CG. I haven't mounted a TowerPro on my Swift, but I have the superfly. Lots of power, but a touch heavy.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:15 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,969 Posts
Diggs - Thanks for those links!
That really helps a lot and explains a lot too. Guess it's time to place another HC order
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:10 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
OK, after talking with Diggs(ENABLER!!!) on Skype, he talked me into getting a Swift II.

Ordered the USA scheme!

Going to be going with a really light set up on mine(using parts I have laying around)...

Hacker A10-9L
E-flite 10A ESC
HXT500 servos
AR6100e Rx

Not really looking for alot of power on mine, I just want something to float around with.

Will be using 2s pack in dead wind for just floating around, but I also have some 3s packs for it just incase

Looking forward to getting this bird in!

See yall at SEFF!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
The Hacker is a very good motor, but its only really a 2s 75w motor.. IMO your proposed setup is better suited to the Mini Swift...

The Swift is better suited to the next size of motor up ie a 1500kv blue wonder or similar 24- 30g motor which will give another 25-35W 3s.... don't get me wrong... the swift is such a good plane that you will be annoyed with yourself because you can only fly it on calm days!
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Last edited by dekan; Mar 31, 2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:58 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I think he is making this one for a night flyer. IF he wasn't doing that, I would have suggested he use something with more kick like the BW motors. Heck, easy upgrade and cheap too!

Also, Episode #88 of ATTF is now up, and the majority of it is about the Swift II, and the other half is about Ritewings and such.
http://www.allthingsthatfly.com/

Diggs
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:19 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
swift is dumb..
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:24 PM
rather fly, but this'll do
Portland, OR
Joined Feb 2008
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
swift is dumb..
is "dumb" the new "bad"?
krefi is offline Find More Posts by krefi
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
The Hacker is a very good motor, but its only really a 2s 75w motor.. IMO your proposed setup is better suited to the Mini Swift...

The Swift is better suited to the next size of motor up ie a 1500kv blue wonder or similar 24- 30g motor which will give another 25-35W 3s.... don't get me wrong... the swift is such a good plane that you will be annoyed with yourself because you can only fly it on calm days!
Well, that is the reason I am building it with such light gear. I am trying to build one that is as light and floaty as possible. Besides windier days is what I am getting a RightWing IYF for!!
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
hey what did you guys mount the motor mount with. Im at that stage now. I have shoo goop. used that and ca to glue the two halfs together. use the same on the mount?

p.s.

Lazertoyz.com got my order to my house in one day! thats fast. I was surrely shocked to see it at my door that fast, and swift came in perfect shape as well.
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:17 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I think both of mine have the mount installed with Flexible CA from Mercury. But shoe goo or goop or welders should all work fine.

Diggs
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:29 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
whew, okay good. and its all coming together quite well, i had to super glue the firewall to the mount, but its holding extreamly well.
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2007
2,969 Posts
Did I miss something?

Mounting the motor to the firewall w/ goop or CA?? Why would you do that versus using the screws?