HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:31 AM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Thanks for the good advice. It sounds like a new wing is in order. I'll get the Blue Wonder motor, the smaller ESC, and small 3s or two. And just move my servos and Rx over. It's great the gear is getting so inexpensive. I should have followed this thread the advice originally and I would have had a better wing and saved some money.

I love how the wing can slow down and float now. Sounds like the new one will be even better.
Ty
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:36 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
now ive heard so much about this blue wonder, but no one ever specifies which one!?
everyone always forgets which one they have. lol
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:51 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
now ive heard so much about this blue wonder, but no one ever specifies which one!?
everyone always forgets which one they have. lol

It doesn't really matter IMHO. I got a wattmeter and set up power systems with that. As long as the amps are not over the limit, actually I like them comfortably under the limit, of the motor and ESC you are good to go. Static full power testing should be more stressful than flight so I like to shoot for 90% of max amps static as a goal. This has worked on everything I have.

The HC "blue wonder" I am using is the 1700Kv unit and I never paid attention but HC calls for 2S lipos. I don't hardly ever fly more than a few seconds at full power, mostly 1/2 to 2/3'ds is plenty and the motor doesn't even get warm on 3S. I credit correct prop selection for this. And for $10 if I cook it, oh well.

I have some new 2S 800mAh lipos to try as I would like to see the difference if I run those and more/larger prop.

The other reason I like Heads Up, besides great service, is the commentary on prop choices with each motor. Its very handy to get a feel for what might work or not.

RT
rwthomas1 is offline Find More Posts by rwthomas1
Last edited by rwthomas1; Mar 24, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:55 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I am running the 1700kv version on mine. I am running with the 7060 GWS prop, but going to the 7035 next time I am at the field.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:57 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
I am running the 1700kv version on mine. I am running with the 7060 GWS prop, but going to the 7035 next time I am at the field.

Diggs

Diggs,
How many amps are you pulling with the 7060? I tried the 7060SF. Went like a scalded cat but too many amps.

RT
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:10 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
should I buy anything extra for the blue wonder? like another just in case? or a mount. does it include a ruber band?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:39 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthomas1
Diggs,
How many amps are you pulling with the 7060? I tried the 7060SF. Went like a scalded cat but too many amps.

RT
I haven't checked to be honest. I run an 8040 on the Superfly with the 1700 Yeah, I know too much, but per the specs at Headsup RC I should be ok if I don't just push it constant and hard.

Diggs
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:40 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
should I buy anything extra for the blue wonder? like another just in case? or a mount. does it include a ruber band?

I am at the office and not sure what size O-Rings work best, but I can tell you the ones that come with the prop saver are too loose.

Diggs
Old Mar 24, 2009, 04:49 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
I am at the office and not sure what size O-Rings work best, but I can tell you the ones that come with the prop saver are too loose.

Diggs

Thats funny, the O-ring that came with the HC motor is tight with the 7035 and very tight with the 7060! I've not lost the O-ring yet.

Regarding buying any extra parts, well, thats up to the individual. I always have extra everything but I'm a belt-n-suspenders guy. Heads Up is very quick to ship so if they have it you will have it quickly as well. Or wait the long wait for HC to do their thing. My next order will be from Heads Up however, they have done me well.

Most every motor I've seen has the mount and prop saver included. If not listed ask.

RT
Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:00 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Don't be afraid of 14A on the swift2.
You want it.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:21 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
well, since i already have 2 730mah tp batteries, the 610 weigh at 51 or so, and the tp is at 48. ill just use them. so wieght wise it should work. gunna go with the 1700 blue wonderbread, and the 12amp esc. GWS rx, hs55s. any last comments? gunna use 7030. do I need to buy the mount? ive heard i have to glue one on, tube mount i belive, does it come with it, or buy extra?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:36 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Where are you going to get your blue wonder? Different sites seem to provide different accessories with it. I know the O-Ring from hobby city is too flimsy for me, but I think the one I got from Lazertoyz worked well. However, I seem to remember the firewall style mount is included from HobbyCity, but not from Lazertoyz. Not sure on all that, but I remember it was different. So, it really depends on where you are purchasing your gear.

Diggs
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:58 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Where are you going to get your blue wonder? Different sites seem to provide different accessories with it. I know the O-Ring from hobby city is too flimsy for me, but I think the one I got from Lazertoyz worked well. However, I seem to remember the firewall style mount is included from HobbyCity, but not from Lazertoyz. Not sure on all that, but I remember it was different. So, it really depends on where you are purchasing your gear.

Diggs

I cant belive ive never heard of this place? is it reliable? in the US?
im terribly sorry for all the questions, but im interested NOW in getting both the swift II and this combo

is this right? would I choose stick mount, or firewall?

http://lazertoyz.ncweb.net/24Gram.htm

the combo, not the single motor.

and what do you mean by different, will it be harder to mount it on the plane? from laz...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:07 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Actually, I think I would just go to HeadsupRc.com if I were going to buy in the states. I didn't know they (Headsup) had the Blue Wonder motors till after I bought from lazertoyz. If you compare pricing, I think Headsup will save you a little, plus he gives all those great specs and prop data that no one else does. All I hear is praise about his service and his shipping price is hard to beat. I also hear it is blazing fast delivery.

Diggs
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:34 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
true, same here. but lazertoyz has the swift II and free shipping. and theyre located in northern ohio, and im in souther, it shouldnt take too long anyways. I'd like to get it all at once from one place, but do you think I should the firewall mount or stick mount. firewall right?