HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
gosh i really want a swift II but there kind expencive. anyone know if there going on sale any time soon?
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:43 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
245 Posts
compared to what? There is nothing else like it...!?
Rosster is offline Find More Posts by Rosster
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:55 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Review is up!

Here is the review:
php version
Blog version
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:05 PM
GLOUCESTER U.K
Joined Aug 2008
28 Posts
Nice one Mr Burke

Cheers

Tibbs
tibbs is offline Find More Posts by tibbs
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:00 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosster
compared to what? There is nothing else like it...!?
yes i know, lol I really want one. but im saving up for flying lessons to get my private before collage. So my first priority is that. But second is the swift. lol
Old Mar 23, 2009, 04:25 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
okay I think Ill take the dip. But just to make sure. This is what im getting. Gene Bond suggested it. and it looks good.

-1050 2s rhino from Hobby city by the way.
- 10 amp turnigy esc

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...runner__1600Kv

-and the swift of course. see anything wrong with it? if so , let me know...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
I don't see how the Swift could be considered "expensive" I think I paid $35 for mine at the LHS? I know prices have gone up but the LHS still has a few at $38 or $39..... I suggest you read my post, #905 on this thread. Its a shopping list and a goof proof build for the Swift II. I think all the HC gear I ordered, motor, ESC, servos, 3 lipos and 4 props cost $65 shipped to my door? Hard to argue with that. I have not tried Gene Bonds motor recommendation but I can tell you that the recipe I used, from Diggs, is very, very good. RT
rwthomas1 is offline Find More Posts by rwthomas1
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:24 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
would that "recipe" happen to have unlimited verticle?
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:30 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
okay I think Ill take the dip. But just to make sure. This is what im getting. Gene Bond suggested it. and it looks good.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...runner__1600Kv

-and the swift of course. see anything wrong with it? if so , let me know...

Is this motor the new generation of the hextronic blue wonder, or is it a competitor to the blue wonder?
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:35 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
Is this motor the new generation of the hextronic blue wonder, or is it a competitor to the blue wonder?

I belive is a competitor.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:56 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
It's an E Max motor...I am running the 2800 Kv version.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLakland
would that "recipe" happen to have unlimited verticle?
Yes, most certainly. I actually place the Swift II on the tips of its elvons and winglets pointing straight up to "launch". Punch the throttle and it will climb straight out of sight. Its no problem to do victory rolls until its just a speck. The key is its a very light "recipe" Mine weighs 8.5oz. If you go nuts with extra reinforcement then yes, the motor is small and you won't get the vertical. Build it to plan, just reinforce with fiberglass tape where indicated and leave it be. Use a light Rx too. RT
Old Mar 24, 2009, 01:48 AM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Gear question

Diggs and RWT I like your power setup recommendations.

I'm thinking about switching some of my existing gear into a second swift II. I probably used more CF strip on the first than I needed to and could make the second one lighter and a little cleaner.

I pretty much copied the equipment setup that Spackles94 used in his review last year. And it's the power setup that MS Composite sells as a package with the Swift II (or at least they used to). I've got the AXI Gold Line 2208/26 motor. And the Jeti Advance 12 plus ESC. Also Spektrum S75 servos and Spektrum AR6000 RX. I've been running a 2S 800 mAh battery.

The motor weighs 45 grams. The dang thing was expensive and it performs well but I've got to add a full ounce of lead to the nose with the 2S battery. All gear is far forward.

My question is, if I can cut the motor weight in half with the dirt cheap Blue Wonder 1700 is there any reason not to do it? The small 3S 600mah battery you're using sounds good too. I'd probably keep everything else the same unless there's a strong reason not too.

Or should I just get a little heavier 3s battery so that I can loose the lead and not worry about a couple of ounces? I do want a floater ... a floater with power.

Any suggestions would help.
Ty
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:39 AM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Yes, I think it would make a big difference without spending a ton of cash. The only reinforcement I used was 3M fiberglass packing tape, the kind with the fibers running lengthwise, no cross fibers, got it at Staples. The "blue wonder" motor I used was under $10 from HC. The Rhino 610mAh 3S packs from HC were $9 each? The Tower Pro 10amp ESC is TINY compared to a Jeti 12. I know the quality is not the same and likely won't last as long but the difference in price is huge and this is a "cheap" plane. I also own an AXI2208, excellent quality but heavy compared to the "blue wonder" I think the servos I am using, Hexatronic 900's are 9grams? so the servos you have are fine. I cannot remember if the motor I am using is a 1700 or 1500Kv, or if it even is rated for 3S. But it works great and has 30 flights on it already. IMHO, change to the "blue wonder" and go to a 3S in the 600mAh range and the difference will be night and day. Just be sure you prop it correctly. Don't overload it, in fact, slightly underproped will likely keep it cooler.

Don't forget to remove the lead in the nose!

GWS "black" 7035 is the perfect prop and use the prop saver!

When I did my Swift I was surprised that all the components fit in the cutouts with just a bit of enlarging and the CG was PERFECT without doing anything. Light is right.

I have had good luck with http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront Their prices are good, they have the motor you need. Fast/cheap shipping without screwing you.

RT
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:15 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
RW said it all pretty much. I haven't had a chance to try the 7035 props yet, forgot them at the house this weekend But I am happy to hear it works well for RW. I will put one on next trip out! I have been getting my gear at hobby city, but when in a hurry headsupRC FTW. The only tape on mine is to cover up the gear on the bottom. I used some white duct tape since it sticks to EPP well and it matched the underside of the wing.

GL

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs