SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
To protect the servo arms/pushrods I cut a cheap (pretty light) Dollar Store poker chip in half and glued them in next to the servo arms. I also added a small triangle of EPP at the front to protect the battery on normal landings. So far so good --- I've probably landed this thing in the grass a couple of dozen times and haven't had an issue.

It's also a lot of fun to catch... I just float it right in, 2 to 3 feet off the deck and gradually pull it up to stall right at chest level... Just like grabbing a Frisbee!

Dave
dhadz1 is offline Find More Posts by dhadz1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
245 Posts
Man! A poker chip. Geez, that's perfect! How come I always go for the $$$ solution to an easy problem?
Rosster is offline Find More Posts by Rosster
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2009, 10:04 PM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosster
Man! A poker chip. Geez, that's perfect! How come I always go for the $$$ solution to an easy problem?
Thanks... At the time it was the only thing that I could find I was looking for a tongue depressor sized popsicle stick (ala Gene Bond's solution) , but to no avail!
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
That's about what I'm using. it's just a round servo horn though.
however, you did what I started to do. Mount the screw on the outside with the protector...opsy.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:22 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Swift II Completed and maidened today!

Well, my HC order came in today and I got down to putting the Swift II together. Couldn't be simpler really. It only took two hours. Using mostly a hot glue gun. Assembled using the parts listed below. Used 3M fiberglass packing tape for reinforcement only in the areas on the instructions. The lipo, servos, Rx, ESC were all installed in the pre-cut areas. This put the CG EXACTLY correct.

Setup with a AR6100E and a DX7, just selected "delta" in the programing and 25% expo on the E/A and it was good to go. Needed just a touch of up elevator trim to level out and that was it. AUW with lipo is 8.5oz. Tried two GWS props, 7060 "orange" and 7035 "black". The 7060 pulled 15amps peak static so its a bit too much for the 12amp ESC, but definitely tons of thrust. The 7035 produced 8.5amps peak static so I flew the first flight with it.

The maiden was uneventful other than this thing being FANTASTIC! Ballistic performance and amazingly slow floating flight all in one package. I think keeping the weight down was the key. Landing is funny, cut power and pull back on the stick and the damned thing just won't settle in! Floats forever. It was quite windy today, 15mph or so and it wasn't an issue. Amazing for an 8.5oz plane. The 7035 pulls it around just fine. Then I tried the 7060. WOW! Given that the prop is too much I kept out of the throttle but with the 7060 anything more than 1/4 throttle was overkill. It would cruise at 1/8 throttle happily. I think I will cut down the 7060 to get down to 11amps max.

Thanks to all, especially Diggs, who gave me the instructions on how to put together an excellent ship. Here is a list of the bits I used, edited from Diggs list:

There is no way to screw up if you build to this list and Diggs' recommendations. The Swift II is simply fantastic and my new favorite.

Edit: Just noticed two things: The ESC and motor are really limited to 10amps so the 7060 is likely out, will cut down and try to get to 10amps just to see. That and I used a bit of scrap EPP to make little "protector" bumps to shield the servo arms on landings, kinda like the poker chip trick.

RT
rwthomas1 is offline Find More Posts by rwthomas1
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:49 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, cool!! Glad you are happy with the recommendation! I love my Swift II with that setup since it is SO lite and can float or go fast. I haven't tried them yet, but I have GWS 7035 props to put on there. Drops it to 7.5 amps and should have plenty of thrust at the cost of a little speed. I will let ya know how that works out once I get the weather to try it out!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:56 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Actually since the GWS 7035 "black" pulls 8.5amps static this is probably the perfect prop. But, in the quest for perfection I will try cutting down and also see that APC makes a 7x3.8SF, 7x4SF, 7x5SFP, etc. Thanks again Diggs, the result is better than I could hope for. RT
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:56 AM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
That's about what I'm using. it's just a round servo horn though.
however, you did what I started to do. Mount the screw on the outside with the protector...opsy.
I was wondering who was going to notice! Definitely something to avoid if your MacGyver-like abilities include planning ahead
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:39 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
I had one glued down.. then ripped it out quick. lol
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:59 AM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
The only little thing that bothers me about the Swift is the lack of a "canopy". I would like to attach a small teardrop shaped bit of EPP or possibly a regular clear/formed canopy with a profile pilot inside. Anyone think this will adversely affect the performance, other than a very slight increase in weight? TIA, RT
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:59 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,251 Posts
put servos & ESC,etc on top

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldrtaylor
My swift is holding up very well but the control rods and clevis' are getting damaged on the underside. Putting everything on top would help this but would it effect flight characteristics?
Yea..that's the first thing I did with mine,make new cutouts & transfer all the electronics to the top.I also cut 3 in. from the center to make it a bit cleaner/roll faster.Fun wing..!

Landing on your servo arms is just dumb...cuz they're gonna break soon.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:46 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
SKYPILEIT what did you use to paint the tape on your leading edge? I have the same orange tape on the leading edge and orange wing tips but my paint is already flaking off of the tape after just a couple of flights.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:51 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,251 Posts
I just brushed a lite coat of contact glue on the leading edge,let it get tacky,then laid the orange tape over the LE.Seems to hold up fine,I have two seasons on this wing & it goes with me almost every time.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:23 PM
balsa buster
Kentucky (USA)
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
here is my swift II but i have never flown it yet im waiting on my crystals to come in for the receiver i got it from a buddy at our field he put a rim fire out runner on it. hope to get her in the air next week.
kenny k is offline Find More Posts by kenny k
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:27 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
OK so your tape was already orange? I spray painted strapping tape to make it orange, maybe not the best idea ...I should have found some kind of orange tape. Oh well .

I used 3M 45 to get the strapping tape to stick to the EPP and it is sticking fine.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson