HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:16 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward
I did not use any tape at all. Instead I used a strip of carbon fiber. Seems it was about 1/16" thick and 3/16" wide. Using a razor blade and straight edge I made a slit in the underside of the wing. Pushed the carbon fiber strip into the slit, ran thin CA along the slit and hit it with a touch of accelerator. Two or three minutes for the entire process.

Look up above for post #67 and expand the second picture. The faint dark line towards the nose is the carbon fiber strip embedded in the EPP. Full power dives with abrupt pull ups with no problem.

Bob
Bob,

Thanks for that tip, I might have to try that!

I was a bit more concerned about the leading edge rather than how much the wing flexed (which may still happen, for all I know ). I was just trying to figure out a way to make it a bit more durable, that's all.
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:30 PM
Quickly Going Broke
Monterey, California
Joined Jun 2007
106 Posts
Spackles--I used fiberglass reinforced packing tape on mine. It has worked wonders. Most of it is on the bottom, so it doesn't interfere with the graphics. I was very careful on placing it on the leading edge so that it did not look bad on top. I also used a little hot glue on the corners of the tape to keep it from separating from the foam.

Zabond--As far as launching it -- I still haven't figured it out...and I've flown the Swift at least 20 times. I launch with the power off by giving it a good toss into the wind and then scrambling for the transmitter hanging around my neck to hit the power and give it up elevator. About half the time it ends up on the ground. So if anyone has a better idea, I am all ears.
jaylay72 is offline Find More Posts by jaylay72
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:42 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Thanks jaylay, that's a great idea!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
I was a bit more concerned about the leading edge rather than how much the wing flexed (which may still happen, for all I know ). I was just trying to figure out a way to make it a bit more durable, that's all.
My friend uses (and I am going to use) Gorilla tape on his leading edge.
That CF reinforcement really makes a difference too.
Farnsrocket is offline Find More Posts by Farnsrocket
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:58 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnsrocket
My friend uses (and I am going to use) Gorilla tape on his leading edge.
That CF reinforcement really makes a difference too.
Is that the same as duct tape? I love Gorilla Glue (and I use it plenty ) so I'd be interested in trying it out...
Old Jan 19, 2008, 08:45 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
For launching I will try to get someone to take a picture tomorrow of my doing a one handed launch. With the transmitter in the other hand.

I am left handed. I hold the transmitter in my right hand with my thumb on the elevator and aileron stick. I hold the front edge of the left wing about halfway between the tip of the wing and the nose of the Swift. I use my nose or mouth to move the throttle to a little more than half way. Then with my left hand I sling the Swift straight and level. Then grab the transmitter with both hands and away I go. I also hold in a small amount of up evlevator when I sling the Swift.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:23 PM
If it flys I can crash it!!!
Townsville, Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
615 Posts
G'day Russ,
Like Bob, I'm left handed and I launch with the 'frisbee' method- Left hand on elev/v-tail controls and power up with my mouth! Just avoid rotating too far, but it can handle a fair bit of twist. Or you can launch by the nose by placing you're thumb on top and fingers on bottom,pushing you're fingers up and forward with 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. both methods work fine, but if you're worried about fingers the 'frisbee' method works fine.

Hope it helps, Paul.

Here's a clip launching my 'Frenzee' with an under arm toss(just to confuse you more
Sulvan Aircraft's 'Frenzee' with 3000kv motor (3 min 20 sec)
scatcat1 is offline Find More Posts by scatcat1
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Is that the same as duct tape? I love Gorilla Glue (and I use it plenty ) so I'd be interested in trying it out...
Yep, supposedly waaay stickier and thicker.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:33 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom1025
No the servos are mounted through the bottom and then capped. There is a slit in the top where the servo arm exits. I melted tunnels to hide the wire then fished the wire through the tunnels into the rciever bay wick I capped as well. Looks really clean.

The motor weighs 24g. Puts out 20oz of thrust for 9amps! Since my AUW is 8.75oz I am pushing over 2-1 thrust ratio.

This is my favorite and most recommended setup for the Superfly and it works wonders on the Swift as well. I imagine it would also work on the Mini Swift.

One thing I did different as well is I have the wing tips dip below the wing 20mm. In the larger wings we have noticed it improves stability.

Adam
Picked up a Swift II yesterday @ the LHS after reading this thread... Was wondering if you might have a pic of the wingtip droop... is it flush @ the leading edge of the wing and then droops only towards the trailing edge?

Also intend to put the pushrods through the top, cap servos/rx, etc...

Thanks for the pictures...

-mike
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jan 20, 2008, 09:50 AM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Mike, you will enjoy the Swift ll. I have hundreds of flights on mine and still enjoy flying it very much. I used to live in the NOLA area and Metairie. Will be back in April for a two week visit. Where do you fly? I will have my Swift with me and would like to fly while there. Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
Old Jan 20, 2008, 10:41 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Don - we fly on the west bank... gpw, skotman, starpoint, g-dawg, and myself are the main group and we have 2 or 3 others that stop in from time to time...

Shoot me a PM or email and I'll set you up with details... Oh, and we generally only fly on Saturday and Sunday mornings so hopefully you'll have some time free early during the weekend.

-mike
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Jan 20, 2008, 04:58 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,726 Posts
Roll rate is a tad too slow. I might get a Hyperflea down the road (kind of expensive though, and I'd want it w/o the low end outrunner).
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Jan 20, 2008, 08:15 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,675 Posts
Oh!
The swift takes off from a hand launch quite easilly.

http://media.putfile.com/Swift2-calm

There she goes, almost no need to push it hard.
Has i'm using a brushed speed 400 with 3s 11.1v LiPo. So too much "juice" would melt the motor.

I love this wing, recently i moved and i had to bring a plane with me and i ended up choosing the swift. It can fly on slopes and has a parkflyer.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
68 Posts
Do you guys have any tips for gluing the two halves together??
Think I am going to use the Sumo glue. Maybe lay it flat on two boards so I can separate the boards a little just at the seam so the excess glue won't stick it to the board.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 09:20 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Make sure your work surface is flat and free of any twist. Glue the halves together with the top of the wings down against the work surface. This will give you the correct airfoil. Cover your work surface with wax paper or something that can be pulled off the dried glue that seeps out of the joint.

I use UHU Creativ stryofoam glue from Michaels craft store. This glue dries in minutes and after an overnight you cannot pull the joint apart. The foam will rip first. I coat each half with a light application using my finger to spread the glue around. I let that sit several minutes until almost dry. The I give each surface a heavier coat and let this become real tacky. Then press the two halves together and hold for a couple of minutes.

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward