HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2009, 01:46 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Nothing wrong with using low rates and expo...

You will find a lot easier to fly smoothly with some expo say -40 on a futaba TX. The -expo softens the stick movement around the stick center..

Are you sure you are not using a positive expo value that would make it twitchy!!
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Last edited by dekan; Feb 23, 2009 at 04:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Thanks for the info Dekan. Since it looks like I will need to add some weight up front might as well reinforce it instead of using lead.

And FWIW I have added + expo on Futaba not knowing any better and crashed my plane 2 or 3 times before I figured out what was wrong . It's easy to do.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:50 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Nothing wrong with using low rates and expo...

You will find a lot easier to fly smoothly with some expo say -40 on a futaba TX. The -expo softens the stick movement around the stick center..

Are you sure you are not using a positive expo value that would make it twitchy!!
futaba 6ex 2.4
Just going through my settings I have -10 set for expo, I recently changed it from -20. maybe, I'll put at back at -20 or try -15. I have low rates set at 75 percent and my high rates at 90 percent, I have only flown it in low rates. epa is at 100 percent (I never checked my control surface throws as I'm sure there way more than needed) since it is a wing, I have the elevon mixing on. I forget the factory percentage( I think +50 percent?) but for some reason I have channel one set to +60 percent and channel 2 set to +65 percent. I really don't know what this is for but the book says channel 1 is for percentage of elevator travel from -100 to + 100 percent and the same for channel 2 which is percentage of rudder travel.........what does this do? it seems to me that it is no different than setting epa's to reduce or increase servo travel rate....and for that matter, how is either one different than setting low rates....seems to me that I have 3 different adjustment functions that all do the same thing

Heres some food for thought, I have the phoenix flight sim and one of the models is a high speed wing. with any amount of wind set, I can fly the sim wing at full throttle, low throttle, no throttle, and any amount of acrobatics, no problem.............
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Last edited by antennahead; Feb 23, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:01 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
Yeah.. In RealFlight I can fly helis like no body's business. I can go up, invert, flip and roll, and land it. In RL I can barely keep it steady in a hover. Same with planes. Its not fair.
LiveSquid is offline Find More Posts by LiveSquid
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:34 PM
Winter is getting closer!
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead
I took out the 400xt, 3s 1320 lipo,and suppo 20 amp esc, repaired the engine mount AGIAN, decided to put in a 1700 kv blue wonder, 3s 900 lipo and a common sense 12 amp esc, and a ply rear engine bulkhead. first test flight resulted in crash, too sensitive, second flight not sensitive enough, contacted the ground and broke the prop while I was tring to dial in my dual rates, had high rates at 85 percent, and started with low rates at 50 percent and moved them up to 75 percent. I had it flying pretty good. today the wind was a little stronger.....about 10 mph......had it in the air for 30 seconds.. and here is the results........I'm begining to think I'll never get this to fly right. is it worth fixing?
ouch!! Knowing me, I would try to fix it. If you got all the pieces glue it back together. or try to cut the center out and make a shorter wing. you never know you might start something. stubby swift!!
twister782 is online now Find More Posts by twister782
Old Feb 24, 2009, 12:00 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSquid
Yeah.. In RealFlight I can fly helis like no body's business. I can go up, invert, flip and roll, and land it. In RL I can barely keep it steady in a hover. Same with planes. Its not fair.
I was the same way. It's just nerves. You CAN do it.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:38 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Most wing manufactures seem to suggest that you use the same EPA and rates for channel 1&2 as the channels are mixed this probably a good idea.

I set my EPA to 100% and my elevon setting to 100% seems to work for me.. I use about -40 to -70 expo...

Allthough some people view expo as the big s*tan... having talked to some world class shockie flyers, I found that most of them don't view it that way, as it helps the plane look smoother in the air which pleases the judges
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:11 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
I start with my epa's and dr's 100% when I use mixing, and tinker with the elevon mixing page to until my all my deflections are correct. Usually if I leave everything on the elevon mixing page +-100%, I'll get like one aileron moving higher than the other, or more down than up, or something that would be tricky to deal with while I fly. I don't use that page to limit travels per se, just to make sure the travels are symmetrical and in the right direction. Once that's squared up, I move to my epa page to setup the actual control rates (or remove servo chatter, depending on the mission). After that's done, I setup my epa/dr page. Usually I like -30% expo, and a 3 position dr switch at 100/80/60.

I could be fundamentally wrong with what I'm doing, but it seems logical and works for me.

Kev

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:41 PM
Joined Feb 2009
5 Posts
second flight this morning[6am] 2c2000mah + added 25gr to nose took of fine straight and nice climb to about 150ft, couple of circuits but having trouble with orientation done a couple of loops and came back to land ,turned for home went knife edge and down another broken prop & chunk out of wing, so do you give a bit of up before turning to stop this turn on side problem? first pane with eleverons
Russ
Jhonethanjoy is offline Find More Posts by Jhonethanjoy
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:43 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
Start your turn with ailerons and feed in elevator to sustain altitude. You cannot sustain knife edge flight without rudder and and flying wings don't do knife edge well even with rudder, not enough side area.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:14 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
See "The Goolie" video if you don't think flying wings can do knife edges http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post11649251
Old Feb 26, 2009, 06:17 AM
Aerial Images of Texas
The Texas Gulf Coast where hurricanes come to play
Joined Aug 2003
1,960 Posts
I stand corrected and should know by now that in today's world of technology that most any thing is possible....didn't even think about factoring in differential power.
tashley is offline Find More Posts by tashley
Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:09 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Tashley... No problem ..... but you're right "MOST" flying wings don't do a knife edge
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:52 PM
Wakefield, RI, USA
Joined Jan 2009
94 Posts
Swift II recipe?

Hello All,
Looking to build a Swift II on the cheap. That means Hobby City for the gear. Anyone have a "recipe" for HC recommended gear for the Swift II? Motor, esc,lipo, prop would be great. Servos too if you think of it. TIA, RT
rwthomas1 is offline Find More Posts by rwthomas1
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:56 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
This is what I have on mine. The blue wander 18-11 2000kv motor GWS 7060 and the Rhino 610 3c batt. Try that it is real hot on that wing. Mine flys really good and fast enough also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthomas1
Hello All,
Looking to build a Swift II on the cheap. That means Hobby City for the gear. Anyone have a "recipe" for HC recommended gear for the Swift II? Motor, esc,lipo, prop would be great. Servos too if you think of it. TIA, RT
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim