SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:47 AM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
The esc will be mounted just in front of the motor on top just like Thomas did in post #761. I still need to solder up the bullets and battery connector.

When I went to pick up some 3M77 I saw a can of 3M45 next to it for half the price. It has been working great for me.

I'm not adding anything else for reinforcement, it doesn't feel like the strength has been compromised that much by the compartment. I know just holding it in my hand it has less flex than my 10 ounce combat planes and they fly just fine. I guess the real test will be when I fly it .

Edit: I will be adding a strip of tape to the leading edge. Painting it neon orange like somebody else did in this thread, I really liked the way it looked. Fins are painted orange as well.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:34 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
I took out the 400xt, 3s 1320 lipo,and suppo 20 amp esc, repaired the engine mount AGIAN, decided to put in a 1700 kv blue wonder, 3s 900 lipo and a common sense 12 amp esc, and a ply rear engine bulkhead. first test flight resulted in crash, too sensitive, second flight not sensitive enough, contacted the ground and broke the prop while I was tring to dial in my dual rates, had high rates at 85 percent, and started with low rates at 50 percent and moved them up to 75 percent. I had it flying pretty good. today the wind was a little stronger.....about 10 mph......had it in the air for 30 seconds.. and here is the results........I'm begining to think I'll never get this to fly right. is it worth fixing?
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Feb 22, 2009, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
OUCH! Sorry!
LiveSquid is offline Find More Posts by LiveSquid
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:57 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Ouch...I'd say if nothing else keep trying just for the experience. You never know you may find the sweet spot and decide to build another.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:41 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokejohnson
Ouch...I'd say if nothing else keep trying just for the experience. You never know you may find the sweet spot and decide to build another.
I decided to fix it. I tried to use ca, but discovered that my bottle of kicker, dried up.....that always seems to happen, I have it until I need it then it just evaporates 3 hours later the ca still wasn't dry, so I used white gorilla glue, it's all back together now, however it looks like I lost one of my servos. The arm is jammed all the way back and I can't move it forward with my hand. I'll let the gorilla glue set up overnight and put the electronics back in it tomorrow. I do have another one that I haven't built yet......and I'm not going to until I can get this one flying the way I like.......I had it close, last weekend there was no wind and I had it trimmed good and was working on getting my low rates and expo set to where it was comfortable, I need to make the elevator more sensitive and the ailerons less sensitive, the upside is that I seem to have eliminated my problems with pitch changes with throttle changes, but today, I guess the winds (although were only about 10mph) were to much and I either over corrected or had my expo dialed to far down and had to move the stick to far to get it to react.....never the less, I planted it pretty good. I don't know if it is me, or the setup, but I just can't get this thing stable in moderate wind like i see on some of peoples videos The worst part is that I have a rightwing tl50, but if I can't get a swift right.....I'll probably never build the rightwing.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:58 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
hotglue is your friend
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:00 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
UGH, blaspheme!! Dude, not sure what is hanging you up, but don't give in on the swift II or the TL 50. I had a TL 60 and loved it till I planted it nose first in asphault at over 100mph! Big lipo fire to follow. But the Swift II is one of the best flying wings I have ever owned. On the second one I suggest you do nothing that isn't stock. No spars, no moving the motor mount NADA! they fly great simple stock config. That blue wonder and a small lipo is the ticket. It will glide for ever and handle with precision when setup correctly, as will the TL.

Hang with it and you will be glad you did once you get it going properly.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:11 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke
hotglue is your friend

I'm a little hesitant on using hot glue, I'm not convinced it will hold in the summer when it get close to 100 degrees with 95 percent humidity.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 09:52 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
UGH, blaspheme!! Dude, not sure what is hanging you up, but don't give in on the swift II or the TL 50. I had a TL 60 and loved it till I planted it nose first in asphault at over 100mph! Big lipo fire to follow. But the Swift II is one of the best flying wings I have ever owned. On the second one I suggest you do nothing that isn't stock. No spars, no moving the motor mount NADA! they fly great simple stock config. That blue wonder and a small lipo is the ticket. It will glide for ever and handle with precision when setup correctly, as will the TL.

Hang with it and you will be glad you did once you get it going properly.

Diggs

I'm not giving up, heres how it looks after a couple of hours work. What I think I really need is a calm day and an experienced pilot to help me get this thing set up, but I will keep going on this one until it is so trashed I can't put it back together, it just gets a little frustrating when I charge all my batts and go out to fly only to load it back in my car less than a minute later and bring it home broken 9 times out of 10.........since last july yep, ive been tring to fly this thing since then. I can fly it no problem when it's really nose heavy and I have to have more than half of it's up elevator travel trimmed in just to get it to glide, but the pitch changes at different throttle settings is why I gave up on that setup. the new setup is alot better, but not perfect yet. I don't think it anything with the swift, but now it's getting the expo and low rates set so I can control it better........this I do know, I'm learning to hover a cp heli......So far, this has been easier with measurable results, as compared to trying to get my swift flying.......as you can tell, still a little pissed about today....
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:25 AM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
Looks great. Especially considering the way it looked in the previous pictures. Well done. Now go fly it.
LiveSquid is offline Find More Posts by LiveSquid
Old Feb 23, 2009, 03:10 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Wings can be tricky for a nubee to set up...

My advice is try and find somebody who flys wings to check it out... if it's way out trim, you may not even be able to launch it successfully .. Something with some sort of Fus that you can toss in to the air under arm is usually the way to go for a nubee...

Maybe a Simple Delta with a canopy/hand grip..Its very easy to make... ideal for a Blue Wonder and it will teach you the basics of trimming planes with elevons
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Last edited by dekan; Feb 23, 2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 05:51 AM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
antennahead - Out of curiosity what is your AUW now with the lighter gear?

dekan - I was looking at the pictures of your Raven and notice you have a large hole for a battery on top of yours. Is there anything laminated in the bottom? It looks like there could be some thin ply or something...hard to tell. And what is the wing skinned with on the nose? Looks like either silk or fiber glass cloth.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:56 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Smoke.. 2 layers of 1.5mm Ply with a velcro tie, for the battery, sandwiched between them.

The plate on the bottom the wing is oversize and let into the foam.

The nose is strapped top and bottom with crossweave Fibreglass tape...

The wing is made of a special High Density Epp sourced from Germany..
I dont know what density is.... but it's much denser than 1.9

The front is very rigid...The reason I asked about your battery compartment is that my Mini Swift is only 1.3 density and needed stapping up even though the battery hole on mine is quite small
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:15 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
[QUOTE=smokejohnson]antennahead - Out of curiosity what is your AUW now with the lighter gear?
QUOTE]

I don't know, don't have a scale, but it's alot lighter. the 400xt had to be at least 40 grams, and the 3s 1320 was pretty heavy compared to the 24 gram blue wonder and now have a 3s 900 and 800 lipos. the 900 lipo seems to put it slightly nose heavy, with the 800 lipo I had to add 1/4 ounce of lead, but never got a chance to fly it with the 800 yet.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:28 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Wings can be tricky for a nubee to set up...

My advice is try and find somebody who flys wings to check it out... if it's way out trim, you may not even be able to launch it successfully .. Something with some sort of Fus that you can toss in to the air under arm is usually the way to go for a nubee...

Maybe a Simple Delta with a canopy/hand grip..Its very easy to make... ideal for a Blue Wonder and it will teach you the basics of trimming planes with elevons

Thanks, no problem with launching at all, last weekend when the winds were low I seemed to have some success. the two problems I think I am having is I have not yet been able to get the swift to balance on my cg machine, so I have been trying to make adjustments by the way it reacts in a dive with power off. although I haven't had but 3 flights so far with the new setup on it.
Has anyone deviated from the factory recomended cg? if so what was the result?

My second problem and the most is the factory control throws and taming them through my tx programing........I don't like to use alot of expo maybey 10 at most as I find myself chasing the plane and over controlling with alot of expo. so I have been trying to tame it with my low rates.......am I approaching this wrong?