SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:04 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, that motor looks massive!! But you did do a fine job of mounting it. I am telling you man, once this review is done, I want you to put on a LITE setup and give it a go. Completely different plane when it is ultra lite. So floaty, but still fast and easy to toss around. You will love how she floats too.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2009, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
Hi, guys. I posted this over in another thread, but I figured it should probably actually go here.. I got my Swift 2 in yesterday's mail and in building it today Ive hit what I consider to be a considerable snag.

Quick question, please..

Did anyone else have an issue with the flexibility of the ailerons? Im using HS-55s as per the instructions' recommendations, but they don't do much to move them. I did paint the underside, would the paint be making it more stiff than it was?

Also, the z-bend in the pushrods arent wide enough to truly accommodate the control horns. Did anyone else have to make any adjustments? I had to mound them at a slight angle to get them to move freely on the z-bend. Would this be causing me problems with the movement of the ailerons?

Thanks for any assistance. Im getting a bit frustrated as I was expecting this to be a two hour process.
LiveSquid is offline Find More Posts by LiveSquid
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Be sure your trimmed out at 0
Use long servo arms
Put the pushrod in the top hole on the servo side
Put the pushrod in a lower hole on the control surface
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:55 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
Alright. Ill make sure that I have mine configured that way. Thanks. You might be hearing from me again, though. lol.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 07:59 PM
Winter is getting closer!
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSquid
Hi, guys. I posted this over in another thread, but I figured it should probably actually go here.. I got my Swift 2 in yesterday's mail and in building it today Ive hit what I consider to be a considerable snag.

Quick question, please..

Did anyone else have an issue with the flexibility of the ailerons? Im using HS-55s as per the instructions' recommendations, but they don't do much to move them. I did paint the underside, would the paint be making it more stiff than it was?

Also, the z-bend in the pushrods arent wide enough to truly accommodate the control horns. Did anyone else have to make any adjustments? I had to mound them at a slight angle to get them to move freely on the z-bend. Would this be causing me problems with the movement of the ailerons?

Thanks for any assistance. Im getting a bit frustrated as I was expecting this to be a two hour process.
Don't get frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!! I was told that 60 million times. And it's true.
I sit back and think of all the stuff I learned when I bought a swift2. #1 is be patient. i was done with my build, just to watch it slam into the ground numerous times. now I can fly it great. #2 ask a lot of questions. these guys in here are very helpful. once you iron out your bugs. you will also be telling someone to not get frustrated. Did you support the control rod? are they flexing?
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:47 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
The rods would rather bend than push the dang ailerons. I went ahead and used a longer servo arm. My horns only have one hole, so I popped on a horn from my slow stick and its better but still no dice. Im considering (and maybe I shouldve done this already, but the instructions leave a bit to be desired) cutting the ailerons off and taping them back on so its easier for them to bend.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 08:59 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
NO, put the knife down and step away from the Swift!!!!!

I have had the problem several times and I am not sure what the actual cause of it is. Having the rod in the control surface the way down in the bottom hole makes it more difficult for the servo to push it. Also, you want to make sure the holes of the control horn are directly over the gap you were thinking of cutting. If they are too far forward or back, you're surface will not move up and down equal distances.

On my latest Swift II I installed micro control horns and it was much better, however your slow stick horns should have done the same thing. Are the rods straight? Did you use the tube over the rods? Do your servos buzz loud when trying to move the elevons or does the wire bend? If the wire is bending, you didn't use the tubing or you didn't glue the tubing down.

Diggs
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:08 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
lol. What I meant was to more or less re-hinge the ailerons. But I havent done that yet.

The rods are straight. I used the longest arm supplied with the HS-55s. When I used the long arm and the short control horn I held the tube down against the Swift. I dont want to glue them until I have it all sussed out. It pushed more, but still the rod bent. Im only changing one side for now until I get it right. Using the longer horn from the slowstick the rod is at least an inch above the body of the swift. If I press it to the body, the rods will flex a lot. Is that gonna be okay?

sigh.. I dont know whats the deal. But dammiut, I want it to work. NOW. lol

Oh, as for the other questions and suggestions.. I am at zero trims, but I am using a small amount of subtrim. The servos are not binding.

It was easier to get the T-rex 500 in the air. That just doesnt seem right. lol

Went ahead and pressed the tube down and held it in place. Its much better but I dont seem to get a whole lot of throw. And the servo does bind at the very top and bottom of the elevator stick.
Last edited by LiveSquid; Feb 14, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:14 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Tac the tube down with a spot of hot glue. Then see if you can push the wire and move the surface. If it is bending, no biggie, the tube should hold it in place once you attach it to the wing. But if it is hard for you to move the surface when pushing on the wire with your hand, something aint right.

Diggs
Old Feb 14, 2009, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
I went ahead and pressed the tube down and held it in place. Its much better but I dont seem to get a whole lot of throw. And the servo does bind at the very top and bottom of the elevator stick.

Ill see if its difficult to move by hand as you suggested.

Thanks a lot for the time and the help.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
Okay, its definitely better. But how much throw do you guys get? 30 degrees? 1/2 inch?

Now that Im using longer arms and horns, my pushrods are about 1/2" above the body of the Swift (when looking at the underside). Should I glue the tubes down? Maybe I should mount some foam between the body and the tube?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:34 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
I'm in the same boat. But found a solution even in using the stock horns.
Mount the horns as per the instructions.
Put the plane upside down with the control surfaces under it (so it's holding the surfaces folded under it)
Go to sleep. Wake up in 8hrs

Now feel.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
Well, heck. Ill try it.. But part of the problem is that when using the stock horns the pushrod ends up touching the plane and then it cant move the flap anymore. I'll prolly just move the arms and horns to the top so the distance over the body wont matter when I land.

Thanks for the tip!

So, check out my underside. No, not mine! The plane's! Painted for better visibility and a nice wide (95mm) stripe to determine orientation. Put the stripe on the proper side to utilize the 'red right returning' adage.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
I like the paint design. And also the way the motor is mounted in the rear of the mount, that is cool . I have to try that on the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSquid
Well, heck. Ill try it.. But part of the problem is that when using the stock horns the pushrod ends up touching the plane and then it cant move the flap anymore. I'll prolly just move the arms and horns to the top so the distance over the body wont matter when I land.

Thanks for the tip!

So, check out my underside. No, not mine! The plane's! Painted for better visibility and a nice wide (95mm) stripe to determine orientation. Put the stripe on the proper side to utilize the 'red right returning' adage.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Feb 16, 2009, 03:30 PM
Joined Nov 2007
51 Posts
The motor pics arent mine. Theyre from GFBurke's post. But thanks for the compliment on the paint.