SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:43 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
Bayward Bob, The e-Flite 370 motor I'm using weights 45 grams and I positioned the motor mount in the normal or specified position. Using the TP1320 battery I have found the wing to be a little nose heavy. When flying her for the first time today, I found that after entering a dive with power off she pulled up fairly hard with a neutral stick. This indicates to me a nose heavy condition. I would like to try a little smaller pack, but don't have anything to try. I didn't time my flight, but I flew for a long, long time and put 1000 mah back in the pack. I would guess 30 minutes or so. I was using a 8X6 prop, but am flying at 8500' ASL where the thin, low density air reduces loading. I will try a 7X5 when I can pick one up. Good luck with yours. Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2007, 12:22 AM
If it flys I can crash it!!!
Townsville, Australia.
Joined Jan 2007
615 Posts
Bob,
I'm using the same motor and found that it required a 3s1000mah to balance properly, But with my 3s1300mah it is a bit nose heavy. Also if you want great speed the Aeronaut carbon 7x7 matches up great with that motor.

cheers,Paul.
scatcat1 is offline Find More Posts by scatcat1
Old Nov 03, 2007, 10:53 AM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Paul, I have one of my TP1320 Prolites in my vehicle so I remember to take it home this afternoon. I think the Prolite 1320 weighs about the same as a regular 1000mah lipo. I will check it out later.

The ESC came in todays mail so maybe I will get the Swift finished up this weekend. I plan on mounting my battery, whatever I end using, on top of the Swift for protection against landings on a gravel surface. Are others doing this also ?

Bob
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward
Old Nov 03, 2007, 12:53 PM
leh
Zoom - Crash - Repeat...
Decatur, IL
Joined Nov 2004
51 Posts
I'm in the process of building a Swift II and was thinking the same thing - get the battery off the ground. Once I figure my balance point, I'll carve out a spot for the battery on top and fill in the bottom.

Layne
leh is online now Find More Posts by leh
Old Nov 03, 2007, 06:26 PM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
This is my old MS Swift II. As you can see she had had some battle damage. I tried using a cheap brushless EMAX 2812 running 8x6 or 8x8 APC electric prop.
Battery 2000mAh/7.4V 2-cell Lipo. Have fun as I certainly have with mine.
euromodels is offline Find More Posts by euromodels
Old Nov 03, 2007, 07:44 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
So what if I shirked all responsibility this afternoon and worked on my Swift ll instead of yard work, washing the van and etc. The Swift is almost ready for her maiden. Maybe in the morning if the winds slow down as I do not want to maiden her in gusty condtions.

I was able to get a good balance with the TP 1320 Prolite, but had to put it way up towards the nose. The Swift balanced good with the TP about two inches back from the nose at first. Then I realized I had not attached the winglets. That put the TP up near the nose.

I also added some strips of EPP on the bottom side to protect the servo arms and the ESC which I surface mounted. I think I will get the camera and take a couple shots of my build to post.

Bob
Old Nov 03, 2007, 08:17 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Here they are. On the bottom of my Swift notice two faint dark lines, those are carbon fiber strips embedded in the foam. The dark line, a Sharpie line, is the COG line I use to balance my planes with different batteries.

Even though I set up the Swift for the battery on top I still do not like what I have. I need to make some sort of canopy or nacelle to house and protect the battery. I have several sheets of 9mm EPP, any suggestions ?

The AUW with the TP 1320 Prolite is 311.6g or 11.13 ounces. The Emax CF2812 is doing 11.8 amps at 11.2 volts static. Which works out to about 132 watts, not bad for an ~11 ounce machine.

Bob
Old Nov 05, 2007, 07:45 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
I got mine together and maidened her yesterday. Sweet ! It took only a couple of laps to get used to the speed and maneuverability. I flew her with almost every battery I had.. three times. The plane was happy with the light weight TP 1320's all the way up to a boat anchor Loong Max 1800mah, or was it 1700mah ? Plus a TP 2000mah.

The weather was perfect for flying yesterday after the sun warmed things up a little. Dead calm, sunny, no humidity and about 75. I did go back home to charge batteries and while there painted the outside of the winglets. One bright red and the other bright yellow. That helped me maintain orientation a whole bunch.

Bbo
Old Nov 06, 2007, 12:49 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
My Swift

Maidened this morning and it was beautiful right off the bat. Rolls could be faster but I am really digging this plane. Slows down very well. The CG is at 185mm but I am going to push it back farther, it feels nose heavy in the air.

The shipping was awesome, took a few day. The kit builds very quickly. You can prolly build it in 2hrs if you tried. Nice to be able to build and fly in the same day. Motor mount is cool but could be done much lighter.

Although it is not to comparable to the S-fly it is up there on my list of must have Parkflyers.

Gear:

CCDR Cool Wind w/ 8x4HD
Phoenix 10
TP 910 3s
HS56 servos.

Great setup!
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Nov 06, 2007, 06:40 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Looks good. You mounted your servos on top and the battery / ESC on the bottom ? How much does your motor weigh ?

Rolls are not very fast on my setup either. It will sure scat straight up until just a speck in the sky though.

Bob
Old Nov 06, 2007, 07:11 PM
Purples a fruit
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Aug 2006
1,283 Posts
i flew adams swift. cool plane. flys closer to a superfly then any other wing or park flyer i've flown.

i am going to have to buy one now.
punkrockd is offline Find More Posts by punkrockd
Old Nov 06, 2007, 11:24 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayward
Looks good. You mounted your servos on top and the battery / ESC on the bottom ? How much does your motor weigh ?

Rolls are not very fast on my setup either. It will sure scat straight up until just a speck in the sky though.

Bob
No the servos are mounted through the bottom and then capped. There is a slit in the top where the servo arm exits. I melted tunnels to hide the wire then fished the wire through the tunnels into the rciever bay wick I capped as well. Looks really clean.

The motor weighs 24g. Puts out 20oz of thrust for 9amps! Since my AUW is 8.75oz I am pushing over 2-1 thrust ratio.

This is my favorite and most recommended setup for the Superfly and it works wonders on the Swift as well. I imagine it would also work on the Mini Swift.

One thing I did different as well is I have the wing tips dip below the wing 20mm. In the larger wings we have noticed it improves stability.

Adam
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:09 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm just getting started on my Swift II. Quick question, though: What kind of tape do y'all use? I was thinking fiberglass tape... but at the same time I don't want to mess up the cool paint job. (Then again, I don't want to mess up the plane after the first landing. )

I'm also planning on putting a ply cover for the LiPo.

Thanks!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Jan 19, 2008, 06:14 PM
old aussie
neerim east victoria australia
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
Just finished my NAVY waiting for decent weather[no wind but raining today] have done a couple of glide tests seems fine but how do you launch it with power ? [what is the best way to hold it without loosing a finger]or do you launch with power off,prob a dumb question but this is my first wing,I have watched several
vids of the SWIFT but none that i've seen show the actual launch.
Russ
zabond is offline Find More Posts by zabond
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:01 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
Hey folks,

I'm just getting started on my Swift II. Quick question, though: What kind of tape do y'all use?
I did not use any tape at all. Instead I used a strip of carbon fiber. Seems it was about 1/16" thick and 3/16" wide. Using a razor blade and straight edge I made a slit in the underside of the wing. Pushed the carbon fiber strip into the slit, ran thin CA along the slit and hit it with a touch of accelerator. Two or three minutes for the entire process.

Look up above for post #67 and expand the second picture. The faint dark line towards the nose is the carbon fiber strip embedded in the EPP. Full power dives with abrupt pull ups with no problem.

Bob