SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782
Thanks to ALL who helped me get my swift up and flying. I flew it today 6 different times. I got it trimmed in and ready to float/go fast. I still have a grin on my face. Hard to wipe off. had the same feeling when I was 15 when I first got **** HaHa It's that silly grin you can't get rid of. What an awsome plane!!!! this thing is fast and slow all at the same time. Now to get really good with it. so i can fly it in my front yard.
Hey, I just checked back and am glad to see you got somewhere with this one Twister! Congrats!

I was flying the Swift II at E-Fest. Once I whacked it, I was having all sorts of fun getting it to fly right. Still ain't got it! I had lights on mine, and at night, couldn't get anywhere with it.

During this time, I thought of you in Ohio...
Rosster is offline Find More Posts by Rosster
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
245 Posts
antennahead,

I originally built mine with a fixed Axi Adapter. I kept breaking the motor mount / and/ or prop too.

Then I went to the Axi O-Ring mount. I don't break motor mounts or props anymore, but nothing comes for free... The prop inevitably takes a small or large chunk of foam with it during landings or 'controlled' crashes.

I scientifically chose my prop size (8x6 APC) based on lots and lots of research and the fact that it would fit between the elevons, LOL!

All I can say about CG is this. You've got to nail it. You have to be right on. As far as how to get there, I think the Swift II is good anywhere from 10oz (I've seen ONE) to 14oz. (I've seen ONE). Mine runs fine @ 12oz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2009, 11:15 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
8.5oz is even better

I don't like prop savers when the prop can then strike the pane. I use collet type adapters on wings, and try not to land with the power on... I have broken 1 prop in the many flights of my Swift. But I had also broken the wing in half, hitting a pylon at our club field

I moved the motor forward by clipping some of the bottom 'feet' off the motor mount before mounting it. This and a 2s1000 pack lets it balance perfectly w/o any additional weight.

I'd use a 7x4 or 7x5 prop with a 1700 motor on 2s. Should be close. Measure the current and keep it safe for your 10a esc. The motor will be fine, it gets plenty of cooling for 10a.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:32 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
I have this 1200vk motor just trying to get it setup right.
Right now, I have the motor hanging out the back of the mount and have a large screw adapter on the back of the motor. (if I go that rout, I'd have to drill out the props to get them to fit). I will probably hone out the mount so I can mount the motor on the "inside" of the mount and just have the normal skinny shaft stick out the back. Should help CG and use less weight.

So with a 3s lipo, what prop should I go with? One of these are maybe and 8x prop?
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:38 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
I would personally use a GWS 8x4HD or an 8x6HD, out of the two listed I would take the 0range 7x6 GWS sloflyer prop.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Feb 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
yeah. I'll try an 8x6HD. I have a 15A esc so I should be under 15A with an 8x6 I think.

Cool, just ordered 8x6HD and 8x4HD from http://www.gwsprops.com
Need new ones for the superfly anyways. ($5.50 shipped for 4 props is great!)

Thanks~
Last edited by GFBurke; Feb 13, 2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:46 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
That 7x6rs prop (orange) can't take more than about 50w, before it will explode... be careful!

Your plan to mount the motor on the front side of the mount sounds like a good idea. I was going to try that, but I got lucky with the lighter motor.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 07:56 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Wow, good to know Gene. I run my blue wonder 1700Kv with the 7x6sf all the time on my Swift II. But I think I might give the little 7x3.5 a go. Curious how such a tiny prop will do on it. I would like to see GWS make a 7x5 or 7x6 HD prop.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:08 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
The SF props from Hobby City work well: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idCategory=209

They are very similar to E-Flite, but a bunch of sizes I haven't seen anywhere else.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Wow the shipping is impressive...ordered 2/9 late evening, in my hands by 2/13. That's always nice. Just in time for the weekend .
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:36 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Michigan
Joined Apr 2006
245 Posts
The local hobby shop that's worth their salt always has more props than Hobby City! Keep to the LHS or they will be gone fellas!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
No salt in Idaho.
gwsprops>

$1.50 shipping is awesome. But if I do order from HC, I always add props.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
yes. two! in my area have closed in the past year and a half. i have to drive to dayton to get to a good shop now
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:15 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Ok, got her in.
Lost lots of weight here, AND it's still strong!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:54 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
That looks great...nice job.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson