HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2009, 08:00 AM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Ty I read through this entire thread Monday and I remember reading where guyz were modifying the mount to be able to slide the motor further forward. Would that be an option to help you out?
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:28 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,144 Posts
That's what I'm doing during my build. Just shaving off those little white tabs so it slides up a bit more.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:32 AM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
Scatcat has a pic of what I am talking about with the motor mount.

I have some CF strip on hand that I am going to use to reinforce my Swift the same way.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=97
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokejohnson
Scatcat has a pic of what I am talking about with the motor mount.

I have some CF strip on hand that I am going to use to reinforce my Swift the same way.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=97
That is just about the same as mine, I didn't cut the lower tabs all the way off though.. I did leave about 1/4" for support. The way that mine is adjusted, using an Emax 2805 and wobbly prop saver, the tips of the prop are lined up with the elevon hinge line.

Mark
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old Feb 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Thanks for the link regarding moving the motor forward. That would definitely help the balance issue. Hopefully I can fly it after work today with the lead weight and then decide whether to go with a larger battery, move the motor, or some combination. Only moving the motor forward enough to be even with the hinges is a good idea.
Ty
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
Last edited by TyFlies; Feb 11, 2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Feb 11, 2009, 03:15 PM
Western NY
Joined May 2008
96 Posts
I just maidened my retro yellow Swift II and I’m very happy with “light build” that Gene and others have advocated. First of all, I got lucky and nailed the balance and initial reflex (up elevator trim) pre-flight. A couple of clicks left aileron were all it took to get level flight at half throttle. Vertical is limited only by my ability to maintain orientation and it’s plenty fast. It slows right down to a crawl and glides well.

I was a bit worried that the lighter build wouldn’t handle the wind, but it easily handled sustained 8 to 10 mph winds with gusts to 12 to 14. Downwind passes were a blast.

I’m running the following power system:
- HXM2730-1500 from Hobby City
- APC 7x5e prop
- Turginy 18 amp ESC (overkill, but adaptable to my needs!)
- Hobby City Flightmax 3s 800mah lipo

Here are some thoughts on the build that worked well for me:
- Used the stock plastic motor mount in conjunction with the motor’s firewall mount per Gene’s recommendation; drilled out the metal firewall mount’s flange, removed one of the 4 tabs and mounted backwards on the back of the plastic mount. This does a nice job of pulling the motor in, leaving just enough room for the 7 inch prop. I did NOT shave the plastic tabs to move the entire mount further forward.
- Extended battery hole lengthwise towards the rear of the plane to accommodate the battery; added small triangle of EPP to the very point of the wing to protect the battery.
- Protected servo arms with by cutting a cheap poker chip in half and gluing in place
- Used 5 min epoxy to glue wing halves and tips
- Sparingly used hot glue for everything else
- Used 3M Scotch Extreme Tape for leading edges, bottom reinforcement and to tape in ESC & receiver. This tape sticks nicely to the EPP.
- COG right at spec; probably around 182mm from the nose

BTW, the EPP triangle and poker chips did a nice job of protecting everything during one particularly awkward launch.

Thanks to all for sharing your build notes/ideas.

Dave
dhadz1 is offline Find More Posts by dhadz1
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:18 PM
Spring is close!
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,631 Posts
I found a way to show the video. I hope 1 day I can fly like this guy!!
Swift2 Great pilot! (2 min 44 sec)
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:38 PM
The Penultimate flyer
Australia, WA, Cooloongup
Joined Apr 2007
1,509 Posts
Impressive skills, thanks for posting that.

Of course I fly like that all the time (in my dreams).

TSnake is offline Find More Posts by TSnake
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Thats the video that convinced me to buy my first swiftII....
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:48 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Man that was some good flying. A+

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister782
I found a way to show the video. I hope 1 day I can fly like this guy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndAR-XEv7c
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Feb 11, 2009, 09:52 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Now that's an awesome video!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:54 PM
Spring is close!
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,631 Posts
I fly like that too!!!! I roll close to the ground too! I just end up hitting the ground. I have done the death dive since I started flying a swift!!! I just forget to pull out in the death dive.
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:22 AM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,653 Posts
hey that guy flies in the same area as me! i know where taht is, hawk field i belive
joyce park
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:24 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhadz1
I just maidened my retro yellow Swift II and I’m very happy with “light build” that Gene and others have advocated. ... Thanks to all for sharing your build notes/ideas.

Dave
Thanks for the report, Dave. Glad the notes and pictures helped. I still love my Swift. It did better than the judges at the E-fest pylon race!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
I have 2 swift II's one I was building as a heavy swift and the other as a light swift. so far All I have flying is my heavy swift. I built it with a 400xt hobby lobby motor, common sense 3s 1250 lipo and a 20 amp suppo esc,3.5 mm bullets, and deans ultras. I flew it a few times successfully, and quite a few times unsuccessfully, I tried different cg settings along with tx programing but I just couldn't get it setup to where I was comfortable flying it, I decided it was probably too heavy with the big lipo and the lead in the tail needed to ballance it..........so I decided to completely rebuild it. I now have in my posession a 1300 kv and 1700 kv blue wonder (they were out of the 1500 kv version), I put the 1700 kv on it with 2mm bullets and jst conectors, common sense 10 amp esc, and i can run 3 different 2c lipos from 800 mah to 1000 mah, and I have a couple of 3s 800mah and 1000 mah lipos. removed the lead from the tail. It's now quite a bit lighter but is tail heavy on all of the lipos that I tested. once balanced I sure hope the new setup flies alot better!!

any suggestions on prop size I should use with the 1700 kv blue wonder on 2s??

Also during testing with the old setup I broke the engine mount (not where it is glued on the wing surface)almost every time I took it out because I was running a collet prop adaptor and if the prop touched the ground under power, the mount broke. would I be better off with a prop saver type mount?

Gene, I wish I knew you were at efest, I went as a spectator, but I would have brought it with me to let you fly it and kinda get the setup right for me......
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead