Old Feb 01, 2009, 11:28 PM
Antioch Ca.
Joined Aug 2007
20 Posts
my new swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
Hi all,
Here's the Swift I built for my friend Brian (actually, I just built and flight trimmed it in trade for an Alfa F-86 edf kit. He supplied everything but the lipo). I tried to avoid using strapping tape, but as I was finishing the build I thought it was turning out so nice that I added some to the LE just to make it last longer.

FYI, Brian mostly flies on dirt & rock runways (ie construction sites), which is why my main priority was to keep the underside snag-free & tough. My second goal was to not disturb the graphics on top with any tape or other unsightly stuff. My third priority was to give generous cooling for >100F weather and balls out flights, which was a bit tricky considering the preceding priorities and the power system it has.

Anyhow, here's the specs============
LS Park Jet (2800kV, 24gr)
TP PL3s1320
apc 5x5e (<- too small)
Cirrus 9gm servos (?model#?)
Hitec 05s Rx w/ short antenna
?Brand? Mag-8 18A esc
AUW (w/ batt) = 10.7oz

I maidened it about an hour ago with an apc5x5e. I knew the 5x5 would be way too small, but it was what was given to me and I just wanted to shake down the frame test for control issues before turning my attention to props. Vertical was limited due to the small prop; in fact, top speed occurred at 1/2 throttle, the rest of the throttle just stalled the prop and wasted power. Suffice it to say the flight was otherwise flawless. I guess I was lucky and got the CG and thrustline right during initial assembly. Brian should be able to enjoy this one for years to come. If it were mine I'd definitely say it's a keeper (<--jealousy). Oh well, I'm going to enjoy a few more flights until I'm settled on the prop selection before I turn it over to him.

Sorry for posting 6 pics, but Brian's probably going to see this before he sees the plane in person, so I wanted to hype it up with some key details.

[ahh! look at my post #... bad omen!]
thanks for the build ! cant wait to get up to sac. and fly my new swift...brian
navybrian is offline Find More Posts by navybrian
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2009, 12:12 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Hi Brian, welcome to the forums! Hopefully everything works out for this weekend. I definitely could use the stress free day of flying: last night my truck broke down so I'm having it towed in for service today, and this morning my wife's car got broken in to. They smashed a window in to take a stupid diaper bag. When it rains it pours.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Feb 05, 2009, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
My Dragon Swift II

Hi. This is my new Swift II Dragon.

Setup :
Motor : TwisterX (The blue AXI from MS Composite) 45g
ESC: SuperSimple 20A (with programming capability)
Batt: 800 mAh 11.1V Zippy
Servos : HXT900
Rx : Corona 4CH with short antenna

AUW : 295g (~10.2oz) but maybe I will add 30g in the nose for balance.
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2009, 05:39 AM
Enjoying the nice weather
Akron, Ohio
Joined May 2008
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx

Setup :

looks good!!! I have the same dragon. Very visible in the sky. I put some black stripes on the bottom which really helps with seeing the orientation. look back a few posts and you will see some pics of mine. It is nice to say "in the sky" took me quiet awhile to get her to stay in the sky. Instead of adding weight to the front. add power!!! go with a larger battery for your weight. You wont regret it. The differance between a 20C and a 25C is remarkable. I have 2 1500mah 3s 1 is a 20c , the other a 25c. i can barely hold on with the 25c without putting a load in my pants. It is that remarkable. I was flying with 2 other swift11's the other day. all they could say was HOLY ****. they thought i changed motors and prop. I get these 25c delivered to my door for $16. I would also add some good sticky tape to the elevons. New swift the other day ripped 1 off in flight. Not good but repairable. give us a report on how it flys
twister782 is offline Find More Posts by twister782
Old Feb 06, 2009, 07:38 AM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
Twister.. been following your posts and am glad that you stuck with it... I just finished my second one and have the batteries charging now.
Mark
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Last edited by mthomas; Feb 06, 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 08:07 AM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
I have seen others swifts with the carbon in it. Dose it make any difference to the quality of the flying of the wing, the weight or the handling at all. I like the way it flys now but thought the carbon would make it not fly the way it was designed. I would like to try it but want to make sure it will fly like it was design to.
More Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx

Setup :

More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Feb 06, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
790 Posts
New Swift

Here's my new Swift ready for her maiden...
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old Feb 06, 2009, 04:20 PM
Tom the Tinkerer
Australia, travelling between Geelong & PP
Joined Mar 2008
349 Posts
Not sure if it flys like it was designed but this is my swift, with CF wrapped leading edge, CF cloth on elevons and CF across the spine for stiffening, as I didnt like the floppiness of the wing...
my setup is the following,

Motor: random 2300KV cheapy
ESC: random 30A cheapy
Rx: AR6100E
Servos: Hitec HS-81MG with control wheels instead of arms (don't break so easy)
Battery: either 2s 2250 Zippy, or 3s 1800 Precision Aerobatics

this will go vertical on lanch on either battery, only problem is slow flying.. as it needs a bit of oomph to push the batteries along

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Trim
I have seen others swifts with the carbon in it. Dose it make any difference to the quality of the flying of the wing, the weight or the handling at all. I like the way it flys now but thought the carbon would make it not fly the way it was designed. I would like to try it but want to make sure it will fly like it was design to.
More Trim
Twinck is offline Find More Posts by Twinck
Old Feb 06, 2009, 06:30 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
SharonX,
Nice build. Looks clean, and your CF layout looks solid.

More Trim,
Without a doubt changing the structure of any plane will change how it flies. In general, when CF is designed and installed properly, it is often stiffer, lighter, more consistent (structurally and dimensionally), and sometimes even more durable than tape alone. On the other hand, if you layout and/or install your CF sticks the wrong way, it could result in worse flight characteristics , and/or the plane could become as fragile as an egg... or heavy as a brick. Regardless, the stock swift's tape layout promotes wing twist at high-g loadings (not necessarily twisting bad way, since it adds washout under load, but it isn't as precise as it could be). So IMHO, whether you decide to use cf or not, there's room for improvement over MSC's stock setup. Proper CF layout is an art of sorts... ok, it's really a science, but so far the most innovative cf methods came from someone's general knowledge and experience rather than scientific analysis. If you aren't well versed with cf/foam planes, I suggest asking for advice. Rcg has several members who are truly "masters" in the art of the cf/foam structural design.

Wow Tom,
Your Swift sure looks industrial strength; like it came out of a Madmax movie! I would be very intimidated if I had to fly combat against such a beast.

cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Feb 06, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:24 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Doing my build now.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Feb 06, 2009, 11:49 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Bond
I've built 8 so far, with the HXT2730-1500, 8x6 & 2s1000... perfect.You can try to prove me wrong, but I'd bet not. plenty fast for a little wind, light and slow for flying tight, unlimited vertical.

What more do you need?
Found what I came in here for.
However the closet I have is 1250 2s 10C and 900 2s 15c
I have this motor
Last edited by GFBurke; Feb 07, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:22 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
That motor is chunky. Do you have any of the 3S 1000s from Loong Max? That would be about the right weight to get it to balance. The 2S 900 is probably way lite, but the 1250 MIGHT do it. Gene is correct, I do it just a bit different, and love mine as well. I use a 3S 610 Rhino pack (Cheap!) and the 1700 kv version of that same motor pushing a 7060 GWS sf prop. I am guessing the weight of our packs are very close and the higer KV on 3S would produce very similar thrust and speed probably. Although i would like to test them out side by side. I bet they fly very very similar.

Oh, and while we are talking setups. I realize many of you have unimproved surfaces to land on, or want to go fast, but it kills me to see everyone adding all the extra weight of the spars and larger motors and lipos and such. Personally, I will not mod my Swift II like that and love it nice lite and floaty. No shortage of fast wings out there and the Swift is pretty darn quick with my setup, but remains lite for some very slow and low flying.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:26 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
yeah I'm going to keep this bizl as light as I can. (no tape, spars etc)
AHh, I do have 3s 1000s. I just saw "Mr Bonds" setup and thought it was all about the 2s for this plane.
so you think a 7x6 SF prop?
Old Feb 07, 2009, 12:54 AM
Fly me to the moon...
Sacramento
Joined Jun 2005
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Oh, and while we are talking setups. I realize many of you have unimproved surfaces to land on, or want to go fast, but it kills me to see everyone adding all the extra weight of the spars and larger motors and lipos and such. Personally, I will not mod my Swift II like that and love it nice lite and floaty. No shortage of fast wings out there and the Swift is pretty darn quick with my setup, but remains lite for some very slow and low flying.

Diggs
Totally agree! The Swift II is at its best when kept light as possible. But.... I do recommend taping the Leading Edge, it will reduce the abuse it will take.
Atom1025 is offline Find More Posts by Atom1025
Old Feb 09, 2009, 06:37 PM
3D wannabe
USA, OK, Tulsa
Joined Nov 2006
500 Posts
I think I like the idea of spars so I don't need tape top and bottom. The only thing I don't like is the idea of having my Ar6100 in between 2 CF spars...I'm still new to the whole 2.4 thing.
smokejohnson is offline Find More Posts by smokejohnson