SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2007, 03:32 PM
Joined Aug 2006
50 Posts
Thanks for the info Rich. The "instructions???" that come with the wing leave MUCH to be desired, so I am looking for all the help I can get. What do you recommend for the adhesive to glue the two wing sections together - also, I see where a few have mounted the electronics to the TOP of the wing. I guess I can modify the included motor mount to fit one of the mentioned motors I already have. Thanks again Hal
HerrHal is offline Find More Posts by HerrHal
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
I used thin CA with activator to glue the wing together. I made plugs to fill in all the holes on the bottom and put all the electronics on the top, servos and all.
I used different control horns too, to allow larger control throws.
JustGoFly 400df 3000 kv motor, 5x5 prop, Phoenix 25, HS-81mg servos, and anything from a 1200 20c 3 cell up to a 2100 3 cell lipo.
I did not reinforce the airframe though, so it flexs alot at higher speed or in windy conditions, but I really like it, flys great.
Piledriver is offline Find More Posts by Piledriver
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:07 PM
Joined May 2000
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrHal
Thanks for the info Rich. The "instructions???" that come with the wing leave MUCH to be desired, so I am looking for all the help I can get. What do you recommend for the adhesive to glue the two wing sections together - also, I see where a few have mounted the electronics to the TOP of the wing. I guess I can modify the included motor mount to fit one of the mentioned motors I already have. Thanks again Hal
I used 5 min. epoxy, it is very strong, on the wing halves, winglets and motor mount. I put the gear on the bottom, it looks nice and clean on the airbrush surface for a better appearance. Just open up the pockets a little and put a a small rx, and esc and cover them up with fiber tape, I put a strip of fiber tape across the bottom ,and over the elevon tubes for added durability. I had to put a 1/2 oz. of lead in the noze to balance when using small batts (900's). Also don't forget to balance laterally, I had to add a little weight to the tip of one wing to get it to balance flat. I just velcro the batts in, for the speed of the thing it's fine, it's a real simple basic plane. ope that helps.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:06 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,524 Posts
Thought you might get a grin out of the second pix http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1670
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:25 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,679 Posts
That's a nice photo.
I think i seen those guys before...

I've been flying my swift on a slope, i havent taken out the motor because it's balanced with it and i still use it witout wing. But even to fly this way is a a great wing. Despite i think it bends alot.

Does anyone re-enforced his wing? CF tube maybe?
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Jun 24, 2007, 08:43 AM
Sydney
Joined Nov 2004
260 Posts
I used two 3 mm CF rods.
euromodels is offline Find More Posts by euromodels
Old Aug 03, 2007, 03:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
50 Posts
MS Swift II

Here I am again. a couple more questions---
1. From the photos I see the prop to TE distance anywhere from about 5-6" to so close that a notch is cut in the TE for the prop. How do you determine how close (far) from the TE to mount the motor
2. I plan on using my E-flite 370 Brushless motor (1360Kv, 10 amps, 3s 1320 mAh LiPo)), and I assume that I will have to reverse the motor rotation, but do I also have to reverse the prop on the motor? Thanks Hal
HerrHal is offline Find More Posts by HerrHal
Old Aug 03, 2007, 04:36 PM
Phoenix
Joined Aug 2006
175 Posts
YES. The prop has to be reversed and then make the motor spin accordingly.
sloonz is offline Find More Posts by sloonz
Old Sep 30, 2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Boozer
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2003
1,768 Posts
I just picked up one of these and I'm thinking about a thin ply cover for the battery. Doesn't it land right where you're lipo is

Is CF necessary or can you get by without it?

Any other tips or tricks I should do?

-Ralph-
Ralph_D is offline Find More Posts by Ralph_D
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:06 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
I moved all the electronics and control horns to the top, they fit just fine and are safe from landing hazards, dew, etc.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 02:09 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1 Posts
Hello! I'm a newb. I have an multiplex easystar and stryker. I was thinking about getting one of these Swifts but before I make the plunge I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Generally, how fast does a swift go with a brushless motor?
2. Has anyone tried slope soaring with the swift?
3. Which kits are recommended for the swift? It looks like you have choices with RTF or kits

Thanks guys!

*Jasmine*
Jsprasad is offline Find More Posts by Jsprasad
Old Nov 02, 2007, 03:13 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
I just completed the build and maidened my Swift ll this morning. It came out at 10.5 0z with a eFlite 370 and a Thunder Power 1320 mah lipo. She is nose heavy with the 1320 battery. I was impressed with the speed range from very slow to plenty fast for an old goat. Unlimited vertical is no problem. I think when the c/g is figured out she will be a great flyer. I went back to the field after making some trim changes later this morning and the wind had picked up to 10-15, and she still handled very well. I was impressed!

I mounted the battery by covering the bottom of the battery cutout with 1/16" ply. Then I glued Velcro and a Velcro strap onto the plywood bottom. This makes for a very secure, lite weight attachment for the battery. The plywood also stengthens the very thin foam area of the battery cutout. I also made guards from scrap foam for the servo arms and battery cutout.

Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
Old Nov 02, 2007, 05:53 PM
WhoKnoz
Salida Colorado
Joined May 2005
266 Posts
I noticed today after getting back home from flying the Swift ll that the dry mountain grasses and wiry low brush had stuck into the bottom of the wing. No damage but I think this will build up over time. Would a coat of water based poly urethane seal the EPP against this happening? How much weight will this add and would it be worth the effors to seal? I have flown an Easy Glider for some time which is constructed of Epalor and have not noticed this happening. I guess the Epalor must have a harder surface than the EPP. Don
Don Chaffin is offline Find More Posts by Don Chaffin
Old Nov 02, 2007, 06:14 PM
almost slackin
Joined Dec 2005
469 Posts
Probably more trouble than its worth, the relatively open pore of the epp will hold dirt,etc. I just live with it.
Old Nov 02, 2007, 09:14 PM
Pasco County Florida
Joined Dec 2006
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsprasad
Hello! I'm a newb. I have an multiplex easystar and stryker. I was thinking about getting one of these Swifts but before I make the plunge I wanted to ask a few questions.

1. Generally, how fast does a swift go with a brushless motor?
2. Has anyone tried slope soaring with the swift?
3. Which kits are recommended for the swift? It looks like you have choices with RTF or kits

Thanks guys!

*Jasmine*
If you have been successfully flying the Stryker you should be able to handle the Swift ll okay. Generally, not always, a wing will fly a little faster than a comparable fuselage / wing plane.

I really am not in a position to offer too much advice concerning the Swift ll though as mine is still on the bench. I should have mine finished up early next week for a maiden next weekend. I am waiting on an ESC to be delivered.

I attached the motor and mount to the wing this evening and the Swift seems as though it is going to be tail heavy. I slid the motor mount as far forward as could be done with the prop my motor needs to swing. The motor and prop I am using is an Emax 2812 with and APC 7X5E. Before gluing the motor mount I checked the COG using a Hyperion 3s 800mah. My TP1320 Prolites are all at the office so I could not check the COG with those, but I am thinking these will allow the Swift to balance correctly. Anyone else using this motor and battery combination ?

Bob

Bbo
Bayward is offline Find More Posts by Bayward