HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,443 Posts
I have the swift 2 and the mini swift. With both I keep everything on top. I use a 1800lipo and it does the job just fine.
wishawhunk is online now Find More Posts by wishawhunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:07 AM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jul 2011
9 Posts
Thanks for replying, could you tell me which prop u use on your motor and flight times on a 2200 2s.

Also are u getting good vertical flight, i think i might be leaning to a lighter setup because this seems to suit this plane better but i would also like to be able to fly this in some wind................ i dont want much do i? lol

Thanks again.
bobuk is offline Find More Posts by bobuk
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,443 Posts
the swift 2 handles the wind well. The mini swift doesnt.
Ms composite swift II flying (3 min 48 sec)
wishawhunk is online now Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old May 01, 2012, 01:26 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I have a Futaba 9C and have the following settings. I am not saying they are right but would be a guide:

1.It looks like I fly at 100% for the low on Double Rates for Aileron and Evevator. But on high I have 140% but that may be totally wrong - I forget if I even use that.

2. On EXPO I have minus 50% but in DX7 talk it is just 50% for both Aileron and Elevator. I would say your 30 may be better.

3. This is the big one to get right for me anyway. I have the END POINTS for Aileron and Elevator on 50%. You do not need too much travel in the elevons.

Mine might be totally different to yours as I have some heavy equipment on mine including a camera with transmitter and a FY20 stabiliser.

I'd say bring in your end points and you should be able to fly it easy.

If you have not flow planes before it is best to try it over long grass and have someone else throw it so you have your hands on the controls.
Thanks Firepower. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. What's the worse thing that can happen...a EPP crash?
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old May 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
hey folks. new to flying wings,planes in general really, im fresh over from helis. i already own 2 axn's,one stock,one not. still learning to fly at the moment,finding planes quite a lot different to helis...much more so than i had always imagined they would be.

anyway,i recently got a swift 2 and i will be placing an order for this motor in the morning,which im lead to believe is a decent motor for this wing :

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1685

along with this tube mount : http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=567

i already have a longmax 1300 3s lipo and a hk ss 25/30 esc for it and im running hxt500's and a orange 6ch rx.(is it worth taking the case off the rx to save a few grams?)

oh,and also a lost model alarm,having lost one of my axn a few weeks ago for 24 hours that is not something i wish to repeat so stuck one on each anx and now the wing too.

i have a couple of props to choose from, but to be honest, the whole prop to esc to battery to motor performance relationship is a bit of a black art to me and i dont really understand it. so i need to know what prop i should go with as well please. i have a apc 6x4 an apc 7x5 a 9x6 and a couple of spare stock axn props,5x5e.

if anyone can offer advice as to my above setup that would be really helpfull.
i want my wing to fly nice and slow and be manageable while im still learning,but i also want the power there when i want it. hopefully my choices will allow that.

thanks!

ps...i could also use some tips on how to mount the tube after i have put the motor on it...how deep into the foam etc... cheers
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
Last edited by mrmurder1975; May 04, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:17 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
I hope someone else can help with motors as I only know what I am using which is a Turnigy 2730/300 but I understand normal people use the 2730/17 or 2730/15.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8619

But the motor you have picked looks like it would be good. All your gear will get it going like the LiPo and servos and you will eventually work out if you need better.

The slower motors use bigger props so I would probably try a 7 by 5 first. Google your motor and see if somewhere recommends a prop size.

You were saying "how to mount the tube after i have put the motor on it...how deep into the foam etc" The motor sits on the plastic mount so the motor does not go anywhere near the foam. I mount the motor with prop on to the mount before gluing the mount on so you can see if the motor is straight at the wing tips when gluing on the mount.

Put up some photos top and bottom if you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurder1975 View Post
hey folks. new to flying wings,planes in general really, im fresh over from helis. i already own 2 axn's,one stock,one not. still learning to fly at the moment,finding planes quite a lot different to helis...much more so than i had always imagined they would be.

anyway,i recently got a swift 2 and i will be placing an order for this motor in the morning,which im lead to believe is a decent motor for this wing :

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=1685

along with this tube mount : http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=567

i already have a longmax 1300 3s lipo and a hk ss 25/30 esc for it and im running hxt500's and a orange 6ch rx.(is it worth taking the case off the rx to save a few grams?)

oh,and also a lost model alarm,having lost one of my axn a few weeks ago for 24 hours that is not something i wish to repeat so stuck one on each anx and now the wing too.

i have a couple of props to choose from, but to be honest, the whole prop to esc to battery to motor performance relationship is a bit of a black art to me and i dont really understand it. so i need to know what prop i should go with as well please. i have a apc 6x4 an apc 7x5 a 9x6 and a couple of spare stock axn props,5x5e.

if anyone can offer advice as to my above setup that would be really helpful.
i want my wing to fly nice and slow and be manageable while im still learning,but i also want the power there when i want it. hopefully my choices will allow that.

thanks!

ps...i could also use some tips on how to mount the tube after i have put the motor on it...how deep into the foam etc... cheers
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old May 04, 2012, 03:48 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Here's my gear that I'm using, it gives the Swift II quite a punch, plenty of trust and a good turn of speed.
Andy

Motor: Emax 2812 1500kv
ESC: Turnigy 25amp
Prop: GWS 7x6
Servos: HXT 9g

Swift II (2 min 25 sec)
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old May 04, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
thank you gents. im not sure i understand the info about the tube mount. my understanding is that you fix the motor to the circular part of the tube mount,tightening up the screw to secure the motor into position,and then the tube part of the mount is fixed into a channel that you cut out of the foam. how far from correct am i with that? andy, i dont have a gws 7x6 but i do have a apc 7x5...will that suffice do you think? thanks for the info gents
Old May 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
thank you gents. im not sure i understand the info about the tube mount. my understanding is that you fix the motor to the circular part of the tube mount,tightening up the screw to secure the motor into position,and then the tube part of the mount is fixed into a channel that you cut out of the foam. how far from correct am i with that? andy, i dont have a gws 7x6 but i do have a apc 7x5...will that suffice do you think? thanks for the info gents
Your APC 7x5 prop will be perfect with your motor. I'll try to clear up the motor mounting issue for you. Are you're thinking of gluing a wooden stick into the foam, and then attaching a motor mount to the end of the stick, if so, forget that idea. The best way to mount your motor onto the Swift is this. Buy the 8mm motor mount below, attach it with the grub screws to the barrel of your motor. Then screw the whole thing into the plastic motor housing provided in the kit, (see mine). The plastic motor housing just glues on top of the wing, use epoxy or thick CA.
Good luck
Andy

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=3549
Old May 05, 2012, 01:03 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
This is what he is talking about in the photo. They are trying to keep it light.

It is probably a good idea to get the weight forward but it depends what LiPo you are using etc.

I also once looked for a motor that would go on the front side of the mount and that would help a lot with the c of g.

There would be some drawbacks like less power because the prop is close to the wing and more noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Your APC 7x5 prop will be perfect with your motor. I'll try to clear up the motor mounting issue for you. Are you're thinking of gluing a wooden stick into the foam, and then attaching a motor mount to the end of the stick, if so, forget that idea. The best way to mount your motor onto the Swift is this. Buy the 8mm motor mount below, attach it with the grub screws to the barrel of your motor. Then screw the whole thing into the plastic motor housing provided in the kit, (see mine). The plastic motor housing just glues on top of the wing, use epoxy or thick CA.
Good luck
Andy
Last edited by Firepower; May 05, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
ok thanks for the helpful info gents. that motor mount is nicely priced @ 95p! but then they want £2.50 to post it....i hate paying more for postage than my item costs,its so annoying! lol the motor i ordered,according to the website now comes with a mount,so hopefully it will be very similar to the one you have linked me to.....

i thought this mount was meant to be good for the wings?

Name: 400302-1.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 11.0 KB
Description:

not a problem if its no good,i will wait and see what mount the motor comes with and if thats no good as well,i will order the one you have shown me. thanks again for the help folks.
Old May 05, 2012, 07:46 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
ok thanks for the helpful info gents. that motor mount is nicely priced @ 95p! but then they want £2.50 to post it....i hate paying more for postage than my item costs,its so annoying! lol the motor i ordered,according to the website now comes with a mount,so hopefully it will be very similar to the one you have linked me to.....

Attachment 4837325

not a problem if its no good,i will wait and see what mount the motor comes with and if thats no good as well,i will order the one you have shown me. thanks again for the help folks.
Why not have a rethink on this and buy a motor that comes with a proper mount and it will probably be cheaper.

Even Aero Andys Emax 2812 1500kv is only $7 plus about $4 from China Post. That would be a good one.

http://www.himodel.com/electric/EMAX...pe_CF2812.html

Buying stuff from UK is probably a like me buying from Australia then again you might have to pay VAT extra.

But even hobbyking is where I usually buy most of my stuff. They have probably hundreds of motors and some what you need and very cheap.

This is probably what you need at $6.45 and $2.99 postage. Probably plus VAT.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5423

Spec.
Weight: 39g (with wire & sticker etc)
Shaft: 3mm
Motor Length: 46mm
Diameter: 28mm
Stator Size: 22x10mm
Suggested prop: 7x4 or 7x6inch
Voltage: 11.1v or 14.8v (3-4S)
Kv: 1534RPM/V

Data ;
Prop size: 7x4
RPM: 12250
Max Curr: 10.5A
Thrust: 580g (1.27lb)

Prop size: 7x6
RPM: 11000
Max Curr: 15.5A
Thrust: 730g (1.61lb

This would be another good one but a bit slower:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8619
Last edited by Firepower; May 05, 2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
There is probably nothing wrong with the motor mount you mentioned if the plane gets bolted on to the round flange to the left of the pipe and the motor goes in on the right side.

One of those other motors that come with the mount would probably not stick the motor body and propeller out as far and keep the weight forward which is good.

You can decide if you want to cut into the back of the wing but you are probably better off going standard. The wing is a lot weaker if you cut into it particularly if you hit a goal post. My mate broke his MiniSwift in half hitting a goal post last week but he did not have the extra carbon fiber. He wanted to go light.

Quote:

Attachment 4837325

Last edited by Firepower; May 05, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 05, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
thanks for replying with help and advice gents. as it turns out,the motor i ordered and received today came with the exact mount linked for me above! so that was a bit of luck really. had to make a couple of extra holes in the stock wing mount to get it to fit,but all seems well so far.....
Old May 05, 2012, 03:15 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
thanks for replying with help and advice gents. as it turns out,the motor i ordered and received today came with the exact mount linked for me above! so that was a bit of luck really. had to make a couple of extra holes in the stock wing mount to get it to fit,but all seems well so far.....
Great news, please don't forget to post a picture or two of your completed Swift, or even a flight video if you have chance.
All the best
Andy