SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:58 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Guys, anyone tried detachable winglets? If so how? Looking to make her flat for transport.

Thanks

Ands
I have not tried it on the Swift but my ElleBee winglets are velcroed on both of them and they fly EXTREMELY stable. I thought they would bend and not be any good but they are fine.

You have to replace them after quite a while after I get long grass being pulled through the sticky part of the velcro. I just cut the velcro the shape of the wing and stick it on.

CORRECTION: I am away on holidays at the moment and forgot what my ElleBees were like. My mates winglets on his Elle Bee have always been velcroed on and it flies good. Mine are double sided taped on and fly great, as previously mentioned.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Apr 03, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:19 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
the swift 2 rocks. here is one reason why

AWESOME swift 2 in the clouds with dragonlink best clouds video ever plane crash publix florida (9 min 55 sec)
traderdmb is offline Find More Posts by traderdmb
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:48 PM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
704 Posts
Flown With DragonLink COWS! Tandem Random swift 2 FPV (5 min 45 sec)
traderdmb is offline Find More Posts by traderdmb
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:01 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Ok silly question here. I got a swift II awhile ago and it's slowly turning into my favorite flying machine. I have FPV setup on my quad but want to do similar with my swift II are most just using the small fpv camera like the RMC540 or 600 etc. and recording off of that or is the gopro kind of too heavy to have on the swift II. Also for the transmitter on the swift would the inverted V ant. be the best way to go? Will have to reconfigure the layout for fpv but can't afford another one yet.
How the top of mine is configured right now using a 3s 800battery
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:08 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
Good video and flying. Just wondered if you could put up some pics, top and bottom showing the gear installed.

I think a few would be interested.

Thanks
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:03 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
i have a swift that I'm building with a microdan 2535kv on a 3s. I know this will push the swift beyond its limit. I have added lots of carbon to it. I don't know how I should stiffen the elevons. There pretty thin to put carbon in.
I could laminate then. Anybody have ant suggestions?
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hackney
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
cut the elevons off and cover with fibreglass-reinforced strapping tape, then laminating film, then tape them back on. OR swap them for balsa same dimensions, you can tape up the balsa with strapping tape then packing tape for strength.
stallion explosi is offline Find More Posts by stallion explosi
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:41 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog1967 View Post
Ok silly question here. I got a swift II awhile ago and it's slowly turning into my favorite flying machine. I have FPV setup on my quad but want to do similar with my swift II are most just using the small fpv camera like the RMC540 or 600 etc. and recording off of that or is the gopro kind of too heavy to have on the swift II. Also for the transmitter on the swift would the inverted V ant. be the best way to go? Will have to reconfigure the layout for fpv but can't afford another one yet.
How the top of mine is configured right now using a 3s 800battery
I do not know what camera you are talking about as they do not come up in google. Some use the normal size cameras and some with smaller ones.

I would say a gopro would be a bit heavy but I'll leave that to others that have them to comment.

Depending how much weight you include but I have tried a 2200mah lipo a few times but it flies better with a 1500mah lipo.

I guess you have 900mhz video TX so an inverted V antenna woulkd go good with a 500mw one. The clover leaf antenna would be better with a SPW on the receiver but they are a bit big for 900mhz.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
Waiting for my Medication
USA, MA, West Springfield
Joined Nov 2010
1,163 Posts
Ahh the camera (for fpv) I was refering to was from Readymaderc the 540. would be using the 1.3video tx 300mw and yes inverted was the thought. Clover leaf second though. Right now I'm using the gopro on my quad for video and fpv. Was thinking also the 2200mah lipo Nanotec battery but that's easy to change. Also other option maybe is I read someone makes a blunt nose for the swift II I believe. If this is the case maybe would be better to start from scratch and do that blunt insert. From Pics I've seen it looks good but not sure how much it is where to get. I suppose could keep this for a fun lightweight flyer. Thanks for the reply.
seadog1967 is offline Find More Posts by seadog1967
Old Apr 06, 2012, 05:29 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Ahh the camera (for fpv) I was refering to was from Readymaderc the 540. would be using the 1.3video tx 300mw and yes inverted was the thought. Clover leaf second though. Right now I'm using the gopro on my quad for video and fpv. Was thinking also the 2200mah lipo Nanotec battery but that's easy to change. Also other option maybe is I read someone makes a blunt nose for the swift II I believe. If this is the case maybe would be better to start from scratch and do that blunt insert. From Pics I've seen it looks good but not sure how much it is where to get. I suppose could keep this for a fun lightweight flyer. Thanks for the reply.
If you want to spend the money the CL and SPW antennas from RMC would be well worth the money. I would guess if you get thee inverted Vee you will eventually want the CL and SPW.

Every time I buy something it becomes cheaper almost immediately. Now there are cameras like yours that are about half the cost for the same quality.

How is the range with yours? The CL and SPW will increase it a lot. I have made a CL and SPW but they need to be tuned to each other to be really good. Mine are all right but just ordered something so that I can tune them.

I used the old big 2200 lipo so a nanotech would be better.
Last edited by Firepower; Apr 12, 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Just realised you were talking about an inverted Vee on a 1.3 video which are all right.

Unless you know someone that is doing good with planes with a 300mw 1.3 I would DEFINATELY go at least to 500MW or you might already have the 300mw one.

This is a camera that a lot are buying now. I'll get it when I but the next one.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html
Last edited by Firepower; Apr 18, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jul 2011
9 Posts
Hi, im just about to order a swift ii and hoping to run it on 3s 2200 because ive got plenty of these!

Will this

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5527

motor be ok or has anyone got any other motor/props that would be better?

Don't mind getting it from giant cod or hobbyking, also i was thinking about putting some Turnigy MG90S Metal Gear Servos in, is this overkill?

Thanks.
bobuk is offline Find More Posts by bobuk
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
Hello Swift II folks! I'm in the process of setting up my TX for my first LOS flight. I'm a quad and heli guy so I need some help.

I'm using a DX7 and have it set to acro with wing. I have a 30 expo on both Aileron and Elevator.

Do I need to do anything with the travel adjust for either one of these channels? Also, should I set it up initially with dual rates?

Thanks!
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidpe View Post
Hello Swift II folks! I'm in the process of setting up my TX for my first LOS flight. I'm a quad and heli guy so I need some help.

I'm using a DX7 and have it set to acro with wing. I have a 30 expo on both Aileron and Elevator.

Do I need to do anything with the travel adjust for either one of these channels? Also, should I set it up initially with dual rates?

Thanks!
I have a Futaba 9C and have the following settings. I am not saying they are right but would be a guide:

1.It looks like I fly at 100% for the low on Double Rates for Aileron and Evevator. But on high I have 140% but that may be totally wrong - I forget if I even use that.

2. On EXPO I have minus 50% but in DX7 talk it is just 50% for both Aileron and Elevator. I would say your 30 may be better.

3. This is the big one to get right for me anyway. I have the END POINTS for Aileron and Elevator on 50%. You do not need too much travel in the elevons.

Mine might be totally different to yours as I have some heavy equipment on mine including a camera with transmitter and a FY20 stabiliser.

I'd say bring in your end points and you should be able to fly it easy.

If you have not flow planes before it is best to try it over long grass and have someone else throw it so you have your hands on the controls.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 07:37 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuk View Post
Hi, im just about to order a swift ii and hoping to run it on 3s 2200 because ive got plenty of these!

Will this

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5527

motor be ok or has anyone got any other motor/props that would be better?

Don't mind getting it from giant cod or hobbyking, also i was thinking about putting some Turnigy MG90S Metal Gear Servos in, is this overkill?

Thanks.
I hope someone else comments but thought I would mention a few things.

I have used a 2200mah quite a few times and tape it to the bottom as I have a lot of other stuff on top. Underneath is not the best place and had to use fiber glass tape as normal clear sticky tape did not hold good enough. Landing with a big bulge on the bottom was not a big problem. The 2200mah LiPo has to go a LONG way back to get the C of G right.

I used the old big 2200s but the new small ones would be better. With my big ones it did not fly as good as the 1500mah ones but I do have other heavy stuff on including camera with video transmitter and a FY20 stabilizer.

I have never used metal gear servos and have never had any problem. I have just been using the cheap HTX ones.

For something like an EasyStar or EasyGlider I can tell you exactly what motor to use but with this wing I think everyone have their own opinion.

I have a Turnigy 2730 - 3000kv motor on mine but normal people use the same motor but at 1700kv.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8619

It shows to be used with a 2S LiPo and my 3000kv one is suppose to be 2S only but I have been using a 3S and it rockets. As I have a faulty ESC now I can only run it on a 2S and it goes almost as good. That is a 2200mah 2S LiPo.

Listed with your plane on the link provided it says use:
Hyperion 3007-26 or 3014-12 or similar
30-40amp esc
2500 to 3700mah 3s lipos
Apc 9x6 to 10x8 prop depending on motor

That motor is a BIT expensive so you are looking at BL Motor A2822(2208) 2200Kv. In my opinion that motor would be good.