HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Give Foam Tac a shot - really good stuff.
http://www.rcfoam.com/product_info.p...f0674f62f61e4d

Don't like Ultimate RC Foam Glue.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hackney
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
is anyone using laminating film on swift 2s? if i get one i'd like to strengthen it a bit, lam is great for that and would preserve the graphics. is it a good idea? any reason not to?
stallion explosi is offline Find More Posts by stallion explosi
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
I used laminating film on my full sized raven (swift clone). It works fine but adds some weight. Pick a film that isn't too thick and you should get good results. I spray painted my wing underneath the film and i don't seem to have any seperation problems - i re-iron it after bad crashes though.

Bear in mind it adds weight to the wing surface and there is more wing surface behind the ideal centre of gravity position than in front, so by laminating your wing you will make getting the centre of gravity forward far enough more difficult, especially if you fit too heavy a motor on the back. As long as you are careful with your weights you should be ok.

If you do it right you will probably get a faster, tougher, more streamlined wing but you will probably lose some slow speed performance due to the increased wingloading. If you get it wrong you'll end up with a wing that won't balance unless you sick half a ton of lead in the nose.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...coveringc.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/14finishedc.jpg/

Laminating the EPP wingtips and elevons definitely stiffens them up.

Link to pics of build

The wing is now almost 2 years old and still flies great. None of my unlaminated wings have lasted as well (or been flown as much).

Link to where i got my laminating film from.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Last edited by teslahed; Mar 05, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:09 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hackney
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
great stuff thanks for that. out of interest, what do you do about the elevons? do you cut them off, cover and re-attach?
stallion explosi is offline Find More Posts by stallion explosi
Old Mar 06, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion explosi View Post
great stuff thanks for that. out of interest, what do you do about the elevons? do you cut them off, cover and re-attach?
Yeah i did exactly that. I used crossweave fibreglass tape to re-attach them.

However you might get better performance using the right grade of balsa wood - I haven't tried that myself.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
why are you guys adding so much weight to te swift?

if you want, add a small CF/fiberglass rod into the foam.

I fly my swift with a 3S 2200mah, Eagletree logger v4, ETOSD, GPS, Guardian, vTX, camera...etc etc and the only thing i did was add support rod in the center and a 2" wide strip of laminate on the leading edge. I can do insane aerobatics while panning my camera to the wing and i dont see ANY flex.
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Guys, anyone tried detachable winglets? If so how? Looking to make her flat for transport.

Thanks

Ands
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:37 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ands View Post
Guys, anyone tried detachable winglets? If so how? Looking to make her flat for transport.

Thanks

Ands
I like it, that's a good idea....
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
wottree
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
I like it, that's a good idea....
Andy
Hay Andy, loving the name

Have yet to receive my Maxi so its all just research at the moment. Was thinking of cutting some ply to the shape of the wing ends, gluing them on, then working on a nylon nut/bolt system. I have read people suggesting Velcro!!! Aint no way I am doing that! How can that be strong enough?...I could be wrong though.

Am I right in saying the underside of the swift 2 has a hollow compartment in the middle to put electrics or did you make it.? I am going to try and combine a few mods from diffrent wings. I like how the ritewing is very clean looking with a flat middle and hidden electrics. I also like the way you can mount a GoPro right in the nose and not stuck on the top. I just don't get why a lot of guys just slap tape over the batteries to hold them in place, to me it looks ugly.
But hay, what do I know? I haven't even got mine yet!

Anyway, just ideas at the mo.

Thanks

Ands, aka Andy
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:23 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Andy

The winglets, what about a hinged surface on the underside where it meets the wing, maybe with tape or a hotglue hinge, so the winglet can fold back flat against the underneath of the main wing. It would give extra strength along that edge, and also to what ever fixings you use to hold it on.

There were a small recess's in the underside of the foam on the Swift II, but for my gear they were in the wrong places to get the CG right, so I filled those in and made my own. I also didn't want the battery etc hanging exposed over the surfaces, so I made a little open compartment to protect the gear on landings, and also helps with streamlining.
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:09 PM
wottree
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
like the idea of the hinges Andy, will give it some more thought.

Have you got any pics with the mod on the underside? looking for inspiration.

Cheers

ands
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Im just building a one of these wings. How did you guys make sure that the motor mount was lined up correctly? Is it going to make any difference if it is just a tiny bit off?

Thanks in advance!

-Dallin
Dallin is offline Find More Posts by Dallin
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:04 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallin View Post
Im just building a one of these wings. How did you guys make sure that the motor mount was lined up correctly? Is it going to make any difference if it is just a tiny bit off?

Thanks in advance!

-Dallin
Mount the prop on the motor and the motor to the mount and when you glue it on you can make the tips of the prop even each side.

Also with the prop on you can tell if it is parallel to the rear of the wing just in case the tips are a bit out but they should not be.

You can do this all before you glue the mount to the wing and check everything first. Mark the mount on the wing with a pen as a guide for when you glue it.

Everyone has their idea of glue to use for the mount to the wing. I used THICK CA from HK and put a lot on and I even went around all edges also. I use the kicker as it sets straight away. It will never come off.

Also in theory I guess the prop should be a bit off to one side to allow for the prop turning etc. I can tell you exactly which way it is suppose to go on something like a EasyStar but do not know on a flying wing. On the small pusher planes (do not know about wings) if you go the wrong way it really messes up the way it flies. Just do it straight unless someone advises otherwise.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Mar 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Thanks for the help Firepower. I got it mounted. Just got it as straight as possible. I used Welders glue and then Medium CA w/ kicker around the edges. After it dried it was solid. I was pulling on it and Im pretty sure it would rip the chunk of the wing it is attached to before the mount came off.
Dallin is offline Find More Posts by Dallin
Old Apr 01, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
why are you guys adding so much weight to te swift?

if you want, add a small CF/fiberglass rod into the foam.

I fly my swift with a 3S 2200mah, Eagletree logger v4, ETOSD, GPS, Guardian, vTX, camera...etc etc and the only thing i did was add support rod in the center and a 2" wide strip of laminate on the leading edge. I can do insane aerobatics while panning my camera to the wing and i dont see ANY flex.

I would love to see a picture of your setup if you get a moment. Your videos are awesome.

Thanks!
Davidpe is offline Find More Posts by Davidpe