SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,442 Posts
I think the best way is to hand launch from the back WITHOUT power and then power up. If you use throttle from a hand toss the Swift will nose dive and you have to be quick on the sticks. I have changed to the hand toss without power. fas better and safer IMO.
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
I like that methodas well. here is a friend of mine launching like that in a pretty entertaining video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711104

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:48 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
I think the best way is to hand launch from the back WITHOUT power and then power up. If you use throttle from a hand toss the Swift will nose dive and you have to be quick on the sticks. I have changed to the hand toss without power. fas better and safer IMO.
There are a lot that use throttle from a hand toss the Swift does not nose dive. That indoor one of the two boys is a good example but I can not find it at the moment.
MS Composit SWIFT II maiden (1 min 25 sec)

It depends on what motor you have, your C of G, how it is trimmed to fly with power on etc. Most people should be able to do a back hand and it will fly straight out of their hand with the power on without going down. If it goes down maybe the trim needs looking at. I can fly mine slow 3 feet off the ground and go full power and it goes perfectly straight. Some people trim them differently. Also it depends if you fly Mode 1 or Mode 2. I am Mode 1 but I suspect this is not a problem of going down with Mode 2 fliers when throwing like in the video.

I have to throw mine high as mine goes down with all the FPV stuff on as it weighs 674 grams. Being Mode 1 it takes me a while to get the hand to the elevator and I need to as mine is heavy.

Australia was mainly Mode 1 but it looks like Mode 2 is creeping in. USA I understand is mainly Mode 2. What mode do most people use over your way?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 01, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 11:18 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db1 View Post
I like that methodas well. here is a friend of mine launching like that in a pretty entertaining video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711104

db
I have been going to emulate (well try to) that for quite a while. I have been going to practice in the simulator but have not had the time.

Some people fly good.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 01:25 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
775 Posts
Based on the vids It looks to be fairly mild mannered at the launch. I'll giver her a toss tomorrow.
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:55 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Based on the vids It looks to be fairly mild mannered at the launch. I'll giver her a toss tomorrow.
Seeing you have flown other planes, this one will be easy.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,442 Posts
I am using a 1800mah lipo so a hand toss without power is the best way. No doubt. Firepower suggestion is ok with a light set up up perhaps!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:42 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,272 Posts
Quote:
I am using a 1800mah lipo so a hand toss without power is the best way. No doubt. Firepower suggestion is ok with a light set up up perhaps!
Mine is the heaviest and I would not throw mine without a LOT of power on or it would hit the ground before I can get the power on as mine drops quickly. I do frisbee throw but maybe an overhead throw would be different but I do not like doing them.

Everyone is different.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Mine is the heaviest and I would not throw mine without a LOT of power on or it would hit the ground before I can get the power on as mine drops quickly. I do frisbee throw but maybe an overhead throw would be different but I do not like doing them.

Everyone is different.
I will hand toss mine tomorrow morning. (about 12 hours from now) and post a video.
If your CG is set up correct it will glide easily firepower. I used to power up and then hand toss. I found that throwing the plane without any power is very easy and effective.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:27 PM
Western New York
Joined Dec 2007
1,127 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just picked one of these up from Common sense, they had a sale and I could not pass it up. I am sure my question has been answered somewhere in this thread but I have had no luck finding it. My question is what settings do I use on my DX6i.

Thanks
eli5539 is offline Find More Posts by eli5539
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:46 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,272 Posts
Quote:
I will hand toss mine tomorrow morning. (about 12 hours from now) and post a video.
If your CG is set up correct it will glide easily firepower. I used to power up and then hand toss. I found that throwing the plane without any power is very easy and effective.
Mine will not glide with the way I throw it. I like doing it this way but others may have better ways that they like.

Mine is just a backhander frisbee throw from waist height which is really not a throw but a jab into the air. I like it and it works for me but no glide without power.

I agree with the over the head throw even for someone learning they should throw them with the motor off like this: (turn the volume up)

RC Plane Motor Off Launch.avi (0 min 14 sec)

But I can not get any power in the throw the way I do it but it suits me and get great take offs.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:32 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,442 Posts
how I hand launch (0 min 57 sec)

As promised.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:48 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,272 Posts
Quote:
That's right the overhead throw. I tried that on my ElleBee and did not like it but my mate does it that way.

So since then I always on all my wings using the frisbee method with power on before I throw.

I'd still suggest people try like you do it as it is the best if it suits them.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
That's right the overhead throw. I tried that on my ElleBee and did not like it but my mate does it that way.

So since then I always on all my wings using the frisbee method with power on before I throw.

I'd still suggest people try like you do it as it is the best if it suits them.
Yes thats true. Everyone is different your right. Safety is paramount
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:00 AM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Feb 2011
307 Posts
I maidened my Swift II yesterday I went for the frisbee method with power on and had no problems. Only problem was on the 4th pack I decided to catch it on final approach. With there being no wind I was coming in a little hot for a hand catch and my thumb jabbed the left servo and completely wrecked the gears lol I dont have any spares either so will have to wait till new ones come. I am very impressed with how it flys though!!
papa_lazerous is online now Find More Posts by papa_lazerous