HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:47 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Hey guys

I've got a question about servos. I have available, two HXT 5g servos I can fit in my new Swift II (thank you Santa), will they be sufficient, or should I order some 9g's?
Thanks, Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:13 AM
United Kingdom, Southend-on-Sea
Joined Feb 2011
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
Turnigy 2730 24 gram motor for HK good vertical but not unlimited.
10 amp esc
Htx 900 9 gram servos
800 3s lipo

light set up works great. All this stuff you can get at hobby king cheap
Thanks allot for the info, sorry I took a few days to come back and say thanks... Its been hectic with Christmas etc. Just placing my order over at HK, the 2730 you mentioned I dont know how many KV I ordered the 1700Kv and the 1500Kv I figured that both will work and if one is better than the other I can keep the second one as a spair. I hope I didnt goof and get completely the wrong motor lol
papa_lazerous is online now Find More Posts by papa_lazerous
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:26 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero Andy View Post
Hey guys

I've got a question about servos. I have available, two HXT 5g servos I can fit in my new Swift II (thank you Santa), will they be sufficient, or should I order some 9g's?
Thanks, Andy
your 5g servos should be fine andy
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
your 5g servos should be fine andy
Cheers Andy, I'm good to go then. I'll get some video posted next week once it's built and flying.
Thanks mate
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:58 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Cheers Andy, I'm good to go then. I'll get some video posted next week once it's built and flying.
Thanks mate
Andy
For my fast motor I would only use 9gram servos.

The instructions say HS55 (Hitec) which are the same size as my 9gram servos. From memory the holes are made for the 9gram servo.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:35 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
For my fast motor I would only use 9gram servos.

The instructions say HS55 (Hitec) which are the same size as my 9gram servos. From memory the holes are made for the 9gram servo.
I use 6grams servos will a fast set up and they work np
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:46 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
I use 6grams servos will a fast set up and they work np
Sounds good. If it works for you.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:37 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Oh, now what to do! Wait a couple of weeks for my HXT 9g's to come from HK, or glue in my HXT 5g's and risk it, so I can fly it this weekend... I hate waiting, but I also hate crashing...
Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:24 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Oh, now what to do! Wait a couple of weeks for my HXT 9g's to come from HK, or glue in my HXT 5g's and risk it, so I can fly it this weekend... I hate waiting, but I also hate crashing...
Andy
Here is the info:

http://allthingsthatfly.blogspot.com...-swift-ii.html

Flying weight: cca 300 g (10.6 oz)
Size: 810mm
Prop: 8x6
Radio: Airtronics RD6000 Super / Berg4 / 2x 7-9g servos
Power system: SCM-3223 motor / Scanner RC SCS-15A ESC / Dualsky 3s
CG: 180-185mm from nose tip

What is it - Do it once and do it right?

5g will work but for how long? wishawhunk is confident you will get quite a while from them.

I like the idea that the 9g just fits in the hole properly.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Finally got er done. The c.g. is a tad nose heavy with this layout but not enough to move anything or add tail weight. I have a low tech question regarding the taping. Is it best to use thin or thick CA to seal the edges of the tape?
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:26 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Finally got er done. The c.g. is a tad nose heavy with this layout but not enough to move anything or add tail weight. I have a low tech question regarding the taping. Is it best to use thin or thick CA to seal the edges of the tape?
I have a Swift 2 and two MiniSwifts and have never sealed the edge of the tape. You have been watching that video on youtube.

No sure what tape you have but I have tried some tape and it will not stick too good and then tried another roll of tape which looks similar and it sticks good.

If you have any problem sticking I just bought a can of spray contact adhesive which you put on lightly first and all tape sticks.

Putting glue on the edges will just muck up the foam. You'll be replacing the tape quite often - I guess you did not think that was necessary but it goes yellow after a while and looses its stick. Also sometimes you have to replace the Esc etc.

Nice job on the Swift. Some people do not like the look of the tape but at least it will not get damaged.

That Esc needs air for cooling so some sort of holes or an open strip across the middle might help.

Any special reason you put the servos vertical. All you do is put the servo in the normal way and put the servo arm on pointing up instead of down. Some foam would have to be dug out but I do not think it would be too much. Mine is underneath so can not totally comment on it. Initially I put a fairly large hole for the arm on my first MiniSwift but on my last MiniSwift I put in just a small nice looking slot and it is perfect.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:54 AM
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Good catch regarding ventilation for the esc. I'm trying to seal off the bottom of the plane to a certain degree because I will be landing in snow. I'll monitor the esc temp on the 1st couple of flights and if needed arrange some additional ventilation for it. The servo layout is a minor experiment just to try them in a different configuration. I will be flying combat with the guys in our club thus the "Extreme Scotch" tape. When you use the spray adhesive for taping does the overspray dry to a non sticky texture or do you mask off areas where you don't want the spray?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Good catch regarding ventilation for the esc. I'm trying to seal off the bottom of the plane to a certain degree because I will be landing in snow. I'll monitor the esc temp on the 1st couple of flights and if needed arrange some additional ventilation for it. The servo layout is a minor experiment just to try them in a different configuration. I will be flying combat with the guys in our club thus the "Extreme Scotch" tape. When you use the spray adhesive for taping does the overspray dry to a non sticky texture or do you mask off areas where you don't want the spray?
If you are flying at a place with snow the Esc may stay fairly cool. Well a bit warm.

Just work out where you are going to tape and then put some temporary tape on to keep it off where you do not want the glue. The temporary tape will cover most of it.

I just bought Selley's Kwik Grip Spray but have not tested it fully yet but on my first go it seemed all right. But what impressed me it is nice and clear. I think I did some without temporary tape and it was all right. It seems to dry but I only recently did it and have not flown it yet to get it dirty but should be good.

If you want to seal the water out you could probably do with a bit more tape to the rear of the servos.

If the snow/water becomes a problem you could always seal up the bottom with tape and cut the battery etc in from the top but it just looks a bit ugly. Might be easier to just put some tape over the battery every time you put it in if the snow is a problem. For something over the battery if necessary, I would just use wide clear sticky tape which comes off much easier and cheaper than the fiber glass tape.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 31, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Apr 2009
672 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I am planning a maiden on Monday. What is the preferred type of hand launch. A backhand frisbee toss or overhead lob?
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:59 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas. I am planning a maiden on Monday. What is the preferred type of hand launch. A backhand frisbee toss or overhead lob?
See what others think but my mate does the overhead throw and it works for him but I prefer the frisbee back hand.

Then again I suppose which mode you fly matters and I am on Mode 1 but I suppose you are on Mode 2. So I can only talk about Mode 1.

With my heavy ElleBee I worked out how to launch perfect every time which is left hand back hand on the right side so then you have to get your hand to the elevator quickly. I had a few mishaps originally but not throw it quite high with the motor on over half way. That allows me to get my hands to the controls every time without mishap.

Now for the Swift I have to do the same as mine is heavy with a camera, video TX and a FY20.

For normal people the Swift is so light usually any way does. Just put "Swift 2 wing" and you will see the lot:

GOOD (poor)
Swift 2 rc flying wing antics! (9 min 56 sec)

RC Flying Wing Combat Practice (3 min 33 sec)

BETTER
MS Composit Swift 2 Flying Wing Review (3 min 8 sec)

If you can do it -
Swift Maxi vertical take off (0 min 9 sec)

BEST
They make it look easy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GC2X...eature=related
Swift II (5 min 24 sec)

Who said they do not break (just keep all the pieces)
MS Composit Swift 2 after crash (0 min 38 sec)
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 01, 2012 at 05:06 AM.