HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
The Swift 2 is identical to the Raven in pretty much every detail, except that it doesn't ship with a carbon fibre wing spar as standard, it comes with more better looking spray painted designs and the servo and equipment holes are cut out from the bottom of the wing rather than the top.
I've flown a couple of different swifts and a couple of different ravens, with similar set ups, and i couldn't tell the difference between the two based on flight characteristics.
So to answer your question; I'd stick the exact same equipment in this thing as i'd stick in a flyingwings.co.uk Raven. In fact the list of equipment you bought for your mini raven that was too heavy to fly well would fit in a Raven or swift II perfectly.
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/221206-220...-p-402397.html
I would use this or the 2600kv
5x5 prop and 40amp esc

Im thinking of this Tes. did you get my PM

Andy
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Last edited by wishawhunk; Nov 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/221206-220...-p-402397.html
I would use this or the 2600kv
5x5 prop and 40amp esc

Im thinking of this Tes. did you get my PM

Andy
I will look at my pms in a sec - sorry been a bit slow to respond, been away from rcgroups the last few days.

In terms of that motor you've picked, i'd sooner install something like this;

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a22089-220...-p-405610.html

Which is roughly similar but lighter and lower in power. Unless you have a really big field and a lot of flying wing experience and want to win races you won't actually have more fun with the faster motor - you'll just crash more often and do more damage to the wing when you crash, and you'll get less battery life, and you'll get poorer slow speed performance.

If that's not fast enough for you (or you want a smaller prop for less acceleration but also less drag and better top speed) then I'd go for one of these;

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a22088-260...-p-405607.html

the 36 gram weight motors will allow you to build a much lighter aircraft whilst keeping the all important power to weight ratio nice and high. The fastest Raven i built (which i covered in laminating film to really toughen it up) runs the above 2600kv 36 gram motor with a 5x5 prop and 30 amp speed controller and is more than fast enough for me.

A good quality 25 to 30 amp speed controller is more than enough for the motors i've recommended above, which may allow you to save a little extra weight over the 40 amp one, but if the 40amp speed controller is quite light this isn't a big deal.

I think it's worth considering that the swift / raven flying wing is not designed to be the fastest wing out there, or the fastest wing in it's size class. It has a nice thick airfoil for decent slow to medium speed performance and for fitting all the electronics into. If you want a fast wing you'd do better picking something a little bigger with a thinner airfoil i think.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Nov 16, 2011, 03:01 AM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
670 Posts
I am not familiar with the (TM-20-26M) type of motor that comes with the Swift II combo package on the MSComposit website and would appreciate some comparable motor & prop suggestions that would be in the $50 or less range and about the same weight category. This is my 1st flying wing and I am just looking for a set-up that will allow the Swift II to perform as designed.

Thanks
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Nov 16, 2011, 04:11 AM
Joined Jul 2008
578 Posts
I had a look on MS composites website and couldn't see the motor you mention. Can you give a direct link to the details?
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:02 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
I am not familiar with the (TM-20-26M) type of motor that comes with the Swift II combo package on the MSComposit website and would appreciate some comparable motor & prop suggestions that would be in the $50 or less range and about the same weight category. This is my 1st flying wing and I am just looking for a set-up that will allow the Swift II to perform as designed.

Thanks
For what it's worth, I'm on my fourth swift 2 now and I have usually gone with the conventional high KV wing motors using small props like an APC 6x4. This last time I started experimenting with lower KV motors and recently put this one on my latest swift. http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=808
It's an INFINITE 2213-1190 and it runs $20. Its a 60gm motor and fitted with a 9x6 or 9x8 prop it will draw a mere 20 amps and 200 watts at WOT. I got the idea from the FPV forum as they are trying to get the longest run times without sacrificing performance. Let me tell you, this is one of the funnest motors I've tried with this wing. Blazing speed but nice and quiet and will slow down to a crawl and land in your hands. You can get 20-25 minutes on an 1800-2200 lipo and it has so much torque that it literally jumps right out of your hand on launch. Also, absolutely no torque roll as many had thought... This wing is so forgiving and so capable of doing well with a wide variety of motors that I was always hesitant on making an individual recommendation, but this motor is well worth the vote of confidence!! Give it a try, you won't be sorry and these are high quality motors that are very similar to a scorpion quality wise so you will get a whole lot of fun out of your $20 investment.
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Last edited by melsailsnorth; Nov 18, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Apr 2009
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
I had a look on MS composites website and couldn't see the motor you mention. Can you give a direct link to the details?
The motor prefix is TW not TM. My error. I'm not sure if this link will work but you can give it a try.

http://www.mscomposit.com/airplanes/...ml#description
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
For what it's worth, I'm on my fourth swift 2 now and I have usually gone with the conventional high KV wing motors using small props like an APC 6x4. This last time I started experimenting with lower KV motors and recently put this one on my latest swift. http://www.okhobby.com/product.php?id_product=808
It's an INFINITE 2213-1190 and it runs $20. Its a 60gm motor and fitted with a 9x6 or 9x7 prop it will draw a mere 20 amps and 200 watts at WOT. I got the idea from the FPV forum as they are trying to get the longest run times without sacrificing performance. Let me tell you, this is one of the funnest motors I've tried with this wing. Blazing speed but nice and quiet and will slow down to a crawl and land in your hands. You can get 20-25 minutes on an 1800-2200 lipo and it has so much torque that it literally jumps right out of your hand on launch. Also, absolutely no torque roll as many had thought... This wing is so forgiving and so capable of doing well with a wide variety of motors that I was always hesitant on making an individual recommendation, but this motor is well worth the vote of confidence!! Give it a try, you won't be sorry and these are high quality motors that are very similar to a scorpion quality wise so you will get a whole lot of fun out of your $20 investment.
Thanks Mel - I will give this motor a try. Are the props you referred to slow fly or standard?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:18 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Quote:
It's an INFINITE 2213-1190 and it runs $20. Its a 60gm motor and fitted with a 9x6 or 9x7 prop it will draw a mere 20 amps and 200 watts at WOT. I got the idea from the FPV forum as they are trying to get the longest run times without sacrificing performance. Let me tell you, this is one of the funnest motors I've tried with this wing. Blazing speed but nice and quiet and will slow down to a crawl and land in your hands. You can get 20-25 minutes on an 1800-2200 lipo and it has so much torque that it literally jumps right out of your hand on launch. Also, absolutely no torque roll as many had thought... This wing is so forgiving and so capable of doing well with a wide variety of motors that I was always hesitant on making an individual recommendation, but this motor is well worth the vote of confidence!! Give it a try, you won't be sorry and these are high quality motors that are very similar to a scorpion quality wise so you will get a whole lot of fun out of your $20 investment.

I am ordering my swift next week and would perhaps like to use my 1800mah lipos on it but worried it would be too heavy. Would like to see a video of this motor in action please?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:43 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
827 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mel - I will give this motor a try. Are the props you referred to slow fly or standard?
The prop that seems to be the magic bullet with this motor is an apc-E 10x8 cut down to be a 9x8. I'm not sure if they sell a 9x8 apc-e. I also tried a master airscrew of the same size which seemed to work just as well. Haven't tried a slow fly prop. It's the perfect size, as this setup produces exactly 200 watts and 20 or 21 amps on 3S which is right at the motors recommended max.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:59 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk View Post
I am ordering my swift next week and would perhaps like to use my 1800mah lipos on it but worried it would be too heavy. Would like to see a video of this motor in action please?
Absolutely not too much weight!!! even with a 2200 mah lipo my newest swift is the most floaty and docile build that I've had yet!! In addition, it still gets up and goes when you want to and it gives awesome twenty minutes of flight time with proper throttle control. You should see some of these little swift 2's on the FPV site. some of them are up to a pound and a half with all the equipment and still fly great. Thats the absolute beauty of this design. It is so flexible and through massive weight changes it retains a very constant Center of gravity so you don't have to worry as much about it's behavior with different sized batteries in the field. I have several other wing designs but they are all extremely sensitive to CG changes in comparison... Its one of the many things about the swift that make it my favorite plane compared to 15 others that are hanging in the garage. I will work on some video. Mel
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:25 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Absolutely not too much weight!!! even with a 2200 mah lipo my newest swift is the most floaty and docile build that I've had yet!! In addition, it still gets up and goes when you want to and it gives awesome twenty minutes of flight time with proper throttle control. You should see some of these little swift 2's on the FPV site. some of them are up to a pound and a half with all the equipment and still fly great. Thats the absolute beauty of this design. It is so flexible and through massive weight changes it retains a very constant Center of gravity so you don't have to worry as much about it's behavior with different sized batteries in the field. I have several other wing designs but they are all extremely sensitive to CG changes in comparison... Its one of the many things about the swift that make it my favorite plane compared to 15 others that are hanging in the garage. I will work on some video. Mel
Thanks Mel. I have been reading through the posts and a lot of peoples preference is the 1300mah lipo. This gives me something to go on. thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
670 Posts
Has anyone tried using long servo arms and running them upward to the top of the wing and mounting the control horns on the top of the wing for better damage control?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:59 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Have you got a pic of your swift mel?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:22 AM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,413 Posts
Bump
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:18 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone tried using long servo arms and running them upward to the top of the wing and mounting the control horns on the top of the wing for better damage control?
Looks like no one is replying so I'll have a go. What about cutting the holes for the servos a bit deeper and using the standard servo arms.

There would be nothing wrong with using a bit longer servo arms. On my Mini Swifts I have one with the servo arms on the top and one on the bottom. It was no problem on the Mini Swift and the standard arms could be used as the wing is not as thick. But I guess I dug a bit of foam out.

There are a few here that have done what you said like on Page 174 Post 2608. These pictures should help. (Can someone tell me how to put that link here)
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower