SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:32 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Lol you guys, those wings linked above are both crap. Look how thin they are, I have seen the second link in person and the guy wanted to give it to me for free, I refused. Have fun wasting your time and money but they wont even compare to the Swift 2. I am actually about to place an order for my third swift 2 airframe right now. Heres an awesome video.

FPV - Messing with Mammals - Whales, dolphins, sharks - Swift 2 Flown w/ Dragon Link (3 min 0 sec)
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:25 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Lol you guys, those wings linked above are both crap. Look how thin they are, I have seen the second link in person and the guy wanted to give it to me for free, I refused. Have fun wasting your time and money but they wont even compare to the Swift 2. I am actually about to place an order for my third swift 2 airframe right now. Heres an awesome video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgW5j4PyPPM
Pity we can not watch it in Australia, as it looks like it would be great video. It comes up "This video contains content from UMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds. "

You are probably right and can not beat the good Swifts. I have two miniswifts in the vehicle at all times (just in case) I have my Swift 2 ready for FPV with a FY20 as I am still getting used to FPV. I guess you do not need any stabilization on yours as you have probably been flying FPV longer.

Bugger about the video but just saw some good stuff on your blog.

EDIT: I just checked what UMG is and it is Universal Music Group. It must be the music that you have with the video that gets it blocked.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 07, 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
Preserve our right to FPV !!!!
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,067 Posts
Latest Swift 2 build---

Wanted to get some feedback on this (my third) Swift II build. Glass and Carbon reinforced including elevons, Digital Metal Gear Servos, All gear moved to the top instead of underside, made to accommodate 3S 2200 or 4S 1800 lipo's, MicroDan 1200 watt 2510 pushing a 6x4 apc sport prop, 55 amp Turnigy Dlux ESC. All kept below 13 oz without the battery. Way too much power for this little thing but I love the expression on people's faces when they watch this thing go vertical and out of site in seconds. Just as fun with MicroDan 2505=2900 which is about 30gms lighter. Despite the incredible speed and power when you want it, this swift retains the light, floaty qualities at slow speeds and can easily float in and be hand caught...
melsailsnorth is offline Find More Posts by melsailsnorth
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:25 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth View Post
Wanted to get some feedback on this (my third) Swift II build. Glass and Carbon reinforced including elevons, Digital Metal Gear Servos, All gear moved to the top instead of underside, made to accommodate 3S 2200 or 4S 1800 lipo's, MicroDan 1200 watt 2510 pushing a 6x4 apc sport prop, 55 amp Turnigy Dlux ESC. All kept below 13 oz without the battery. Way too much power for this little thing but I love the expression on people's faces when they watch this thing go vertical and out of site in seconds. Just as fun with MicroDan 2505=2900 which is about 30gms lighter. Despite the incredible speed and power when you want it, this swift retains the light, floaty qualities at slow speeds and can easily float in and be hand caught...
I was waiting for someone else to comment and hopefully someone else will as I have been saying too much here lately.

You say "55 amp Turnigy Dlux ESC" guess it is not that big. The one in the photo looks really small. I have never seen the Turnigy Dlux ESC - are they good?

I always over engineer everything and it ends up heavy. I have two rods along the wing, one across similar to yours and two light rods across the front. It may be all right the way it is and some say no rods are necessary but what about a light rod in front of the LiPo to hold the front together. If you thump it in on the nose (which you would not do) you do not think the nose will come apart with a heavy 2200 LiPo.

On the other hand I have not put any strengthen in the elevon but I see it could use something. I have also tried 2200 LiPos but find the 1500 flies better but I have extra stuff on the top of mine including a FY-20 which is not as "streamlined" as yours. I have a Turnigy 2730-3000 on mine but as now using it as FPV with goggles I was thinking of trying a slower 2730-1700.

So basically you have gone with the practical look and not the aesthetically pleasing look. In other words it should go for a long time and not need any repairs. Mine is even heavier without the LiPos at 16.5oz.

Any special reason for the expensive MicroDan rather than the cheaper ones. More efficient? Get the C of G right and you should not have any problems with two others before. It looks quite good.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:04 AM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Nice Swift II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
... Mine is even heavier without the LiPos at 16.5oz. ... It looks quite good.
I second the motion. Your flyer looks great. Hope she will fly as nice.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,067 Posts
Quote:
I was waiting for someone else to comment and hopefully someone else will as I have been saying too much here lately.

You say "55 amp Turnigy Dlux ESC" guess it is not that big. The one in the photo looks really small. I have never seen the Turnigy Dlux ESC - are they good?

I always over engineer everything and it ends up heavy. I have two rods along the wing, one across similar to yours and two light rods across the front. It may be all right the way it is and some say no rods are necessary but what about a light rod in front of the LiPo to hold the front together. If you thump it in on the nose (which you would not do) you do not think the nose will come apart with a heavy 2200 LiPo.

On the other hand I have not put any strengthen in the elevon but I see it could use something. I have also tried 2200 LiPos but find the 1500 flies better but I have extra stuff on the top of mine including a FY-20 which is not as "streamlined" as yours. I have a Turnigy 2730-3000 on mine but as now using it as FPV with goggles I was thinking of trying a slower 2730-1700.

So basically you have gone with the practical look and not the aesthetically pleasing look. In other words it should go for a long time and not need any repairs. Mine is even heavier without the LiPos at 16.5oz.

Any special reason for the expensive MicroDan rather than the cheaper ones. More efficient? Get the C of G right and you should not have any problems with two others before. It looks quite good.
Hey, thanks for the feedback~~ I need to look back in the forum to see if you have posted some pics yet. To answer some of your questions, I absolutely love the new Turnigy Dlux and AE esc's. They have more programing then you could ever imagine and they run the high KV motors better then anything else Ive ever tried, and (of coarse) you can't beat the price... I've been through a half dozen chinese motors but I'm sold on the micro dan's because they have incredible power/ weight, and a lifetime warranty. Dan's repaired mine for free anytime there's a problem and he's a fantastic guy. I just figure I'd rather have a couple great motors that last several years as opposed to several that end up wearing out or burning up. I'm probably a lot harder on motors then most as I really like to push them hard. With the front end, the nose and the battery compartment are lined with a thing layer of epoxy and fiberglass for added strength to address the concerns that you mention. We all try to avoid it but the occasional "nose in" is inevidable if your out there having fun... I'm really intrigued with you guys that are doing FPV with the swift 2'S and I thing that's going to be my next project.... Cheers!! ~ Mel
Last edited by melsailsnorth; Nov 12, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:44 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I second the motion. Your flyer looks great. Hope she will fly as nice.
I was reading one of the FPV forums about the Swift 2 and I came across something AirBagIT wrote that really sums-up what makes this such an incredible bird... It has an INCREDIBLY forgiving center of gravity!!! I own 6 other wings from tiny to 60" but they all are extremely sensitive to COG changes except the swift. This allows for so much fun and experimenting with battery and motor changes without having to constantly worry (or constantly crash...). I have no clue why this is, but I do know that it is so forgiving and fun to fly and I think this is a big reason why that is. {not to mention that it probably really helps to make it an ideal candidate for a small but fun FPV candidate). After watching some of those videos i'm really wanting to give FPV a try!! Just want to make sure I invest in the right gear... Thanks for all the awesome video AirBagit !! You've definitely given me the FPV bug and I think this is the bird to learn with....
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:15 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the feedback~~ I need to look back in the forum to see if you have posted some pics yet. To answer some of your questions, I absolutely love the new Turnigy Dlux and AE esc's. They have more programing then you could ever imagine and they run the high KV motors better then anything else Ive ever tried, and (of coarse) you can't beat the price... I've been through a half dozen chinese motors but I'm sold on the micro dan's because they have incredible power/ weight, and a lifetime warranty. Dan's repaired mine for free anytime there's a problem and he's a fantastic guy. I just figure I'd rather have a couple great motors that last several years as opposed to several that end up wearing out or burning up. I'm probably a lot harder on motors then most as I really like to push them hard. With the front end, the nose and the battery compartment are lined with a thing layer of epoxy and fiberglass for added strength to address the concerns that you mention. We all try to avoid it but the occasional "nose in" is inevidable if your out there having fun... I'm really intrigued with you guys that are doing FPV with the swift 2'S and I thing that's going to be my next project.... Cheers!! ~ Mel
Thanks for the reply. Guess we have plenty of space to put everything on and not like this bloke who is not doing FPV but UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) and it flies without a transmitter. (Where is the fun in that) It is only about half the size of a Swift 2 and a narrow wing at that. Guess I have a way to go yet with the Swift.
Multiplex FOX as UAV (2 min 53 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:05 AM
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Dec 2010
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Guess we have plenty of space to put everything on and not like this bloke who is not doing FPV but UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) and it flies without a transmitter. (Where is the fun in that) It is only about half the size of a Swift 2 and a narrow wing at that. Guess I have a way to go yet with the Swift.
http://vimeo.com/31871006
Hey Firepower, any suggestions for an inexpensive set-up for starting-out turning my new swift into an FPV bird? I've got some good ideas about equipping the actual wing, but I'm still uncertain about the basic ground station. Is it pretty important to use diversity? How about goggles versus a computer screen... Sorry, a bit off topic but it's all with the swift in mind... I'll PM you my proposed list if you don't mind... Mel
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:12 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Hey Firepower, any suggestions for an inexpensive set-up for starting-out turning my new swift into an FPV bird? I've got some good ideas about equipping the actual wing, but I'm still uncertain about the basic ground station. Is it pretty important to use diversity? How about goggles versus a computer screen... Sorry, a bit off topic but it's all with the swift in mind... I'll PM you my proposed list if you don't mind... Mel
I am not saying that I have done much FPV flying but know just about all there is to know about it (which is impossible) as I have been testing a lot of the stuff for a few years.

PM me and I can let you know if you are on the right track. I wish I was starting now as it is very easy compared to the equipment of 2 years ago.

For a small plane all you need is a 1gram in weight camera for $45 or a $16 camera from HK and a 2 gram video transmitter $20 then for the ground a $35 receiver and or monitor/FatShark goggles (must be 640 by 480 not the cheap ones)

People will say the $16 HK cameras are rubbish which they are but do work. The $50/$60 cameras with OSD are perfect.

I had a decent flight with my Floater plane recently and looked at the 5 inch monitor and said I could fly with that easy. So a 15inch monitor with a shroud around it would be quite good but as I have bought the FatSharks I thought I had better try them for the flight and they worked well for me.

I have a big pan/tilt with diversity on a tripod but not really necessary any more. I was just lucky I used to go flying with blokes that had all the good gear and they even fly UAV as well as FPVF.

If you PM me with your ideas I can let you know exactly what you need.

Col
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:59 PM
RJJ
Joined Oct 2011
28 Posts
Brought a new motor of a friend cheap, its of a stryker f27q. Motor says 480BL, 2200kv has parkzone branding so dont know watts, max amps etc if anybody can provide details or like for like comparison then please post specs, thanks

Have a xeno, wanted something a little manic and crazy,

Spec: esc - turnigy 40a
servo - new power xl-shm (really like these metal gear as well)
servo ext - jr 300mm * 2
rx - spektrum ar500
lipo - 3s 2200mah 11.1v my smallest size
prop - 6 * 6 as on stryker, waiting on adaptor so will try APC 6 * 5.5, 5, 4, as well.
M2 pushrods and M2 links
zagi canopy, local guy makes them.

Had a job to modify exsisting mount to accept motor, cut out battery compartment placed ext leads and velcro straps then balsa piece. Servos are on small balsa pieces top & bottom.

Flat carbon in wings and elevons, 3mm round tube in rear to complete triangle. Tape applied, leading edge of rear on bottom is at 185mm which is my cog point.

What elev, ail measurements/expo are people using ? High/Low rates ?

And can anybody help would like to find some aerodymanic fairings to go over top servo cutouts, dimensions are L42mm, W18mm and require 3mm in height.

Cant wait to fly it, should have enough power
RJJ is offline Find More Posts by RJJ
Last edited by RJJ; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Brought a new motor of a friend cheap, its of a stryker f27q. Motor says 480BL, 2200kv has parkzone branding so dont know watts, max amps etc

Have a xeno, wanted something a little manic and crazy,

Spec: esc - turnigy 40a
servo - new power xl-shm (really like these metal gear as well)
servo ext - jr 300mm * 2
rx - spektrum ar500
lipo - 3s 2200mah 11.1v my smallest size
prop - 6 * 6 as on stryker, waiting on adaptor so will try APC 6 * 5.5, 5, 4, as well.
M2 pushrods and M2 links
zagi canopy, local guy makes them.

Had a job to modify exsisting mount to accept motor, cut out battery compartment placed ext leads and velcro straps then balsa piece. Servos are on small balsa pieces top & bottom.

Flat carbon in wings and elevons, 3mm round tube in rear to complete triangle. Tape applied, leading edge of rear on bottom is at 185mm which is my cog point.

What elev, ail measurements/expo are people using ? High/Low rates ?

And can anybody help would like to find some aerodymanic fairings to go over top servo cutouts, dimensions are L42mm, W18mm and require 3mm in height.

Cant wait to fly it, should have enough power
Is this what you are after? Are they too small and we should keep looking?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F10pcs%5F.html

Nice looking wing and attention to detail but what about the pivot point of the control horn on the elevons. Just like being picky. It is suppose to be exactly on or really as close as possible to the elevon hinge.

Guess I should put a carbon rod in the elevons also. What size rod did you use for that?

You should have a fast one there.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:54 AM
RJJ
Joined Oct 2011
28 Posts
Thanks firepower, those fairings are fine in length but not wide enough, been searching everywhere but can't seem to find anything suitable.

Used 3mm flat carbon rod in the elevons and 4mm in the wings, works a treat, so long as you slit the foam carefully then ca over top. I used med ca then once set used thin to fill any gaps or air pockets.

Didn't realise about the control horns, but they are ca'd and have 2 screws to hold it onto the bottom piece, working fine so far will have another look tonight after work.

Just built the swift up from elec bits i had, this setup gives the stryker f27q speeds of 70-80mph and this is lighter, will put it on the scales and will post auw. My friends all have 48inch zagi wings hoping this will go harder & faster but docile at low speed
RJJ is offline Find More Posts by RJJ
Last edited by RJJ; Nov 15, 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:02 PM
scotland uk
Joined Jan 2005
1,443 Posts
Thinking of adding this to my fleet. I have 1800mah lipos and a spare turnigy 40amp. Anyone recommend what KV and size of motor I could use please?

Thanks
wishawhunk is offline Find More Posts by wishawhunk
Old Nov 15, 2011, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
The Swift 2 is identical to the Raven in pretty much every detail, except that it doesn't ship with a carbon fibre wing spar as standard, it comes with a greater choice of better looking spray painted designs and the servo and equipment holes are cut out from the bottom of the wing rather than the top. Other than that it's the same size, shape and weight as far as i can tell.
I've flown a couple of different swifts and a couple of different ravens, with similar set ups, and i couldn't tell the difference between the two based on flight characteristics.
So to answer your question; I'd stick the exact same equipment in this thing as i'd stick in a flyingwings.co.uk Raven. In fact the list of equipment you bought for your mini raven that was too heavy to fly well would fit in a Raven or swift II perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishawhunk
thanks mate
here is the set up:

1000mah lipo
6x4 prop
30amp esc
2600kv outrunner
6g servos
orange rx
Except that i'd get some cheap 10 gram servos rather than 6 gram ones. In fact that's pretty much the exact set up i used on my first swift flying wing;

Launching and catching my flying wing (0 min 51 sec)

If you build it right you'll get decent vertical performance good slow speed acrobatic maneuverability.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Last edited by teslahed; Nov 15, 2011 at 01:19 PM.