SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:59 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
I'd advise you to get started first with another plane that has aielrons and then go for
the Swift or any other wing.
But it will all depende how confortable you are.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
You could use this easily as a second model. Just build it light and put the servos on top and it's indestructable.
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:39 AM
My plane's a tree hugger!
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
ok tks
daywead is offline Find More Posts by daywead
Old Aug 15, 2011, 05:32 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
Fitted my Swift with the AXN floater Jet motor the other day. That's more like it! Just on the overpowered side, at full throttle for a couple seconds in level flight it will pitch nose down and straighten out when throttled off. It had a 6x4, i tried a 5x5 and it seems almost as fast, but tamed down just enough that I can keep it level at full throttle. Still launches vertically and specks out in a few seconds and makes more noise, and a little more manageble. Now I'm happy.
If anyone is interested, HK are carrying the replacement motor now. Out of stock, of course.
Maybe if you change the angle of the motor it will not pitch at all. Mine with a powerful Turnigy 2730 and 3000kv you can go slow flying close to the ground and hit full throttle and it goes perfectly level.

I was surprised it went so level which is a bit different to the AXN Floater plane.

I guess others are getting theirs to fly level on high acceleration.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,819 Posts
@Firepower

Untitled (6 min 34 sec)

Hey man just to let you know i went ahead and pitch the swift in the air and yes it does fly indeed thanks for your info to me on here.Took 4 nickles to cg her out and it was great.Video is not much i know but wanted you to see it worked heehee i love it.cheers to everyone here and happy fliying too................Crash
crashdumby is offline Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:34 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby View Post
http://vimeo.com/27722732

Hey man just to let you know i went ahead and pitch the swift in the air and yes it does fly indeed thanks for your info to me on here.Took 4 nickles to cg her out and it was great.Video is not much i know but wanted you to see it worked heehee i love it.cheers to everyone here and happy fliying too................Crash
Bugger - I will not see the video until early next week. I am still away on holidays and the IPad does not display the video. There is a square where the photo is suppose to be but nothing there to click on. Might be just my IPad.

On holidays I have been only been able to bring 2 mini swifts and will have a combat with my mates who are also going to the Bundaberg Air Show this weekend. We went two years ago to the air show so not sure how different this one will be. The had a lot of US aircraft carrier planes from years ago last time as well as a Sabre etc

As mentioned I'll check out your video probably on Monday. Good to hear it went well.
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 16, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post

You guys just made me go and pick the Swift off the shelf and install FPV gear into it...
Poor wing is covered in dust, after starting with multicopters I never cared again for planes.
Awesome! The more FPV Swift 2s in the air the better.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Flying in the clouds with my Swift 2.

No Mountains so I surf Clouds (3 min 9 sec)
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Aug 16, 2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Is there a website to purchase these from?

nevermind

http://www.commonsenserc.com/advance...9neqk0&x=0&y=0
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Last edited by Bear_Pants; Aug 16, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:17 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
@airbagit13, is that the HK simple OSD?
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:18 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
myabe you swift guys can help me out...my first outing with my swift 2 went well. flew pretty good. today was my second outing and i think my esc is overheating and shuting down. heres my setup:
axi 2208/20
cc phoenix 25
thunder power 3s 1350 (i have one with 20c and one with 25c)
ar6100e
apc 8x6 prop

i thought after my research this would be a good setup without over working anything but today after about 5min at about half throtle it shut the motor down. when i retreived it the esc was the only thing that was fairly warm to the touch. any sugestions?? different prop, diff batt, diff esc?? any help is appreciated.
boots1 is offline Find More Posts by boots1
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:12 PM
Hi I am Mark & I am an addict
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined May 2007
792 Posts
Boots.. You didn't mention where you placed the ESC on the wing. The ESC should be more than enough for your power setup. I have never had a cooling issue with my Swift and I have zip tied it between the forward part of the motor mount where it gets plenty of airflow.

Mark
mthomas is offline Find More Posts by mthomas
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:24 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby View Post
http://vimeo.com/27722732

Just got back from holidays and checked out your video. Good stuff - the more Swifts in the air the better.

I also like my two Mini Swifts and one with LEDS for night flying. They are even more unbreakable.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:12 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots1 View Post
myabe you swift guys can help me out...my first outing with my swift 2 went well. flew pretty good. today was my second outing and i think my esc is overheating and shuting down. heres my setup:
axi 2208/20
cc phoenix 25
thunder power 3s 1350 (i have one with 20c and one with 25c)
ar6100e
apc 8x6 prop

i thought after my research this would be a good setup without over working anything but today after about 5min at about half throtle it shut the motor down. when i retreived it the esc was the only thing that was fairly warm to the touch. any sugestions?? different prop, diff batt, diff esc?? any help is appreciated.
Motors and Escs have amp ratings and the thing you should get soon if you are staying with these planes is a wattmeter so that you can check the current draw. Looks like the hobbyking.com site is down so I'll put a link up later.

But with your setup they give examples of the Esc size and yours seems all right but I did see where somewhere else they were using a 7 by 5 prop which would reduce the load/amps being used from the LiPo.

Someone may know more about the exact items listed and provide comments but my guess is:

1. You could have a dry solder joint on the connectors. Quite a few have had that problem in various planes. Check all connections.

2. Are you really fully charging the LiPo?

2. If it is not one of the above then you have a faulty Esc or motor. Probably the Esc as you say. Easiest way is just buy spares and replace them to see what is faulty. You do not need to buy expensive stuff. I just use the red Turnigy escs from hobbyking.com and the cheap motors. You'll need spares at some stage you might as well get them now. hobbyking stuff is cheap.

As mthomas mentioned where have you mounted the Esc? Is it out in the airflow or in the foam?

I can not get the hobbyking site working or I would also give you a link to a LiPo battery voltage checker. There is one there for about $3 plus postage which are handy.

The receiver should not cause the problem unless you have a bad connection. I guess it is not going out of range and the motor stopping. You would also lose elevons if that was the case.

Others have also advised that their Esc needed changes with a programmer etc when their motor died after a few minutes. It does not make sense to me that the motor runs for a while and then stops and the program in the Esc needs altering but it happens sometimes.

As mentioned swapping parts over is the easiest way of finding out the fault.

HK is now working so here are the links:

I have this one but there are cheaper ones there:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Meter_75A.html

This is handy but maybe the $4 or so ones on ebay may be better.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itor_2_6S.html
Last edited by Firepower; Aug 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:11 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
hey thanks for the replies, i was wondering if the placement of the esc might be my issue because i have it embedded in the bottom, and its covered by a few pieces of strapping tape. i currently have it removed and i'm planning on putting it on top out in the air like suggested.
I do have a meter coming, should be here early next week. so i will make sure things are running right with that. lipos seemed to be fully charged acording to the final readout on my charger(onyx 230/equinox balancer). i will be able to see where each cell is at as well when i get my meter. i do have an extra cc thunderbird 36 that i thought about hooking up. i figure that should be way over kill for this setup, but i was going to see what its currently running at with the meter before doing that.
i'll have to look into the dry solder thing, not entirely sure what that is, so i'll have to do a little more reading. thanks for the halp guys, and sorry for the book.
boots1 is offline Find More Posts by boots1