HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:31 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
I plan on having my main one (in front of motor), two running parallel to the front wing (V-shape) about 2" behind the leading edge, and once I get my battery spot figured out when more running parallel to the one in the back. I just plan on using some small, maybe 2mm CF rod. -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy321 View Post
I plan on having my main one (in front of motor), two running parallel to the front wing (V-shape) about 2" behind the leading edge, and once I get my battery spot figured out when more running parallel to the one in the back. I just plan on using some small, maybe 2mm CF rod. -Tyler
Everyone have their own opinion. 2inches is through the servo. Mine is just over 3inches but that is only because I have that other big spar.

Just over 2 inches like you say would be good.

Normal people use 2mm CF but I have not been able to buy locally 2mm lately and was waiting for the shops to get it in and in the meantime I folded a Easy* wing in flight. I then put the 1MM in and it seems all right when glued in and held stiff but use the 2mm.

Just for interest another option is Post 2441 Page 163 and he even got the weight of the motor forward.

Another one on Post 1415 Page 95. ( I have forgotten how to do the links to other posts)

I guess you saw this for ideas but too late now:
Swift II quick build guide (combat wing) (9 min 59 sec)

After you finish the plane and even fly it you can decide if you do need another shorter CF between the wings.

BIG THING to ensure when you put the CF in the wing is not to warp the wing. Mine at the moment I have to put one elevon up a lot more than the other one to fly level. Just try and keep the wing flat on the table but keep looking to make sure you are not gluing the CF with pressure on the wing that could make it move.

Sounds good what you intend to do.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:07 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
What type of tape does he use at 7 minutes? I have some strapping tape but it won't stick to this EPP. Thanks! -Tyler
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:46 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Experiences w/MicroDAN 2505/1845Kv on Swift II..

Has anyone flown a Swift II with a MicroDAN 2505 1845Kv...?

With a weight of 34g, this appears to be one of the most powerful smaller sized motors you can hang on a Swift II.

- What is the best Prop/Battery/ESC combo for this motor?
- Any video..?

If it's good on a Ritewing IYF....I'm sure it'll move the Swift II along just fine.

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:17 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
Has anyone flown a Swift II with a MicroDAN 2505 1845Kv...?

Thanks,
-mike-
I suggested this to a few in this thread long ago. But I don't think anyone ever tried it. If they did, I didn't see the posted results, or I don't remember it happening. Happens when you get old

But, I do think this would make a fine combo. It does fly an IYF great and they are extremely efficient motors.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:41 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
What type of tape does he use at 7 minutes? I have some strapping tape but it won't stick to this EPP. Thanks! -Tyler
I guess the 3M fibreglass tape would be the best. I guess you call it strapping tape in your part of the world.

I have been just using the tape from the local hobby shop and some is better than others and not cheap.

I have some wide fairly old tape on the leading edge and it is still perfect. I put some new wide on an elevon two weeks ago and it is perfect still.

If there is any pressure on the tape and it will fall off. To exaggerate but not by much, if you have to tape one wire down to the wing you need to almost make the tape go 6 inches either side of the wire or it will fall off.

I do not go around the edges of the tape with the hot melt gun like in the video which would be good when new but a bugger to replace the tape later on.

On my MiniSwift the tape is going yellow and falling off but that would be from age and need redoing. It is mainly falling off where there is slight pressure on it from the LEDs which were cut into the wing. Then again 3M would last longer.

You just have to push it on quite hard and try the leading edge first and see how it goes. I use 5cm wide on the leading edge as smaller will have pressure on it from the bend and fall off.

See how you go.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Tape and EPP

Hey guys,

If you are having problems with tape sticking to EPP, this is the cure.

3M Super 90

Spray a light coat onto the foam where you want to apply the tape, then let it tack up to where it is pretty much dry, if you don't let it tack up it will not stick. Then apply the tape onto the area covered in 3M 90 and almost any tape will adhere to the EPP.

Diggs
Old Jul 01, 2011, 09:54 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Hey guys,

If you are having problems with tape sticking to EPP, this is the cure.

3M Super 90

Spray a light coat onto the foam where you want to apply the tape, then let it tack up to where it is pretty much dry, if you don't let it tack up it will not stick. Then apply the tape onto the area covered in 3M 90 and almost any tape will adhere to the EPP.

Diggs
Thanks I forgot about that one. I have my wifes craft spray adhesive on the bench to use. I have used it only a couple of times recently.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 06:37 AM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
Will the 3M90 dry completely on the spots where their is no tape so that I don't have a sticky mess everywhere else?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:01 AM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,808 Posts
swift ll question

I am wondering if this motor is going to work and my mount is a little off center.Here are some pics.Im new to wings so so ready for the flameing i can take it lol... I used hot glue on mount so i dont know if i can do anything about it.And cant find any new mounts think im screwd.
crashdumby is online now Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old Jul 02, 2011, 07:17 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,772 Posts
2 questions on 3M 90...

Does the over spray area that tape does not cover catch dirt and other debris or does it dry to non sticky surface?

How do you keep the spray nozzle from clotting? My wife's other craft aerosol cans clot before the can is used up.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:04 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I have only used the 3M 90 on my Maxi Swift and I coated a lot of the bottom of the wing so I could tape over all the components. I haven't had a problem with stuff sticking to the overspray area, and I belly land it. Now I did let everything dry up before I launched and landed it.

As for the clogging, I dunno. I have only used the bottle I have twice over the year I have owned it and it hasn't clogged. I didn't do anything except put the top back on it after use.

Diggs
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:23 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Will the 3M90 dry completely on the spots where their is no tape so that I don't have a sticky mess everywhere else?
It is not a sticky mess but it depends how fussy you are as you will see it a bit but it is not bad.

That is why I do not like using it unless I have to.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:26 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
2 questions on 3M 90...

Does the over spray area that tape does not cover catch dirt and other debris or does it dry to non sticky surface?

How do you keep the spray nozzle from clotting? My wife's other craft aerosol cans clot before the can is used up.
First question as per previous post.

You are suppose to turn all cans upside down and clear the air way after you are finished by pushing the nozzle with the can upside down.

You are suppose to do that with spray paint cans also. Some people are just lucky.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 08:47 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby View Post
I am wondering if this motor is going to work and my mount is a little off center.Here are some pics.Im new to wings so so ready for the flameing i can take it lol... I used hot glue on mount so i dont know if i can do anything about it.And cant find any new mounts think im screwd.
Is that a trick question going by the first photo. Naturally it will not work unless it is a bad camera angle. Is that shaft bent after a bad landing or like I said a bad camera angle. Looks like it is brand new so the camera is playing tricks.

It does not look too bad in the right photo? The way I worked out how to glue the engine mount on is put on a big prop so when you glue it you can judge if it is the same distance on both sides from the body/elevons.

Then again turn the motor the other way and everything is perfect except for the prop. There is such a thing as a proper pusher prop for wings etc but I do not think they turn the other way.

If you have to hot glue is quite easy to take off the plastic. A bit of an exaggeration but you can get it off. Start with a small screw driver and get it between the glue and the plastic and it will come off. You could also heat it with a soldering iron to melt it but make sure you do not touch the plastic.

The motor is suppose to be angled the other way a bit to allow for the motor torque but I would give it a go as it is.