SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 02, 2011, 06:46 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O View Post
Why does the one in the middle look larger than the one on top? I thought all Swift II wings were the same size.
Daddy-O
Just a camera angle thing. They're the same size.
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:24 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I finally broke down and purchased a Swift II today. I have been eyeballing these things for years now, but always thought that I had too many wings already. Well, there was a good deal at Common Sense RC with free shipping, so I went for it. I'm looking forward to joining the Swift madness that abounds here in this thread.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Apr 04, 2011, 05:55 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
286 Posts
Welcome to the club, daddy-o.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
I'm in the process of building my Swift, but i'm having some difficulties. I have the plush 12A esc with 2A bec, and when i test my servos (2x hxt900, motor wires unplugged) the esc becomes very hot even when making small movements. Is that normal and will it be cooled by the air or is the esc broken?

Tibo.
thibaultvdb is offline Find More Posts by thibaultvdb
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:04 AM
Ripping The Bring since 2009
Joined Sep 2008
109 Posts
I can't remember where I heard this, or the explanation / reason. But I'm pretty sure you should never power up a brushes ESC without a motor connected. That may be the cause of your problem?
aidan82 is offline Find More Posts by aidan82
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Now that I connected my motor wires, I still have the same problem, when I use my two HXT900 servo's, the little square part on the esc becomes very hot. Would I fly it like that or not? I really want to do it's first flight, but I don't want it crashing into the ground after two minutes.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:54 AM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
286 Posts
I have the same ESC and servos and mine does not get hot like that. Are the control surfaces able to move freely? Maybe they're being overworked and drawing more amps than they should.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Here are some pictures of my Swift 2 nightflyer. I think I'm going to try to fly with the esc, because the control surfaces work fine.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:20 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaultvdb View Post
I'm in the process of building my Swift, but i'm having some difficulties. I have the plush 12A esc with 2A bec, and when i test my servos (2x hxt900, motor wires unplugged) the esc becomes very hot even when making small movements. Is that normal and will it be cooled by the air or is the esc broken?

Tibo.
No problems - everything is working fine. It is that no one has noticed the ESC gets hot when only using the servos.

That is, the equipment is working fine but have you matched the right equipment for the Swift 2.

I just tested this and mine got hot with my 12amp ESC in a MINI Swift. I have a 30amp ESC in my Swift and it gets too hot and need a 40amp Esc but my motor is ridiculously big.

What size motor are you using as this may overload the Esc. I see you just put some pictures up. Couple of other matters. I suppose you have checked the c of gravity and the antenna tips are suppose to be at 90 degrees. However, I can not see any problems with range as it is only a small plane.

With that motor and LEDs are you sure you are not overloading the ESC. The heatsink side of the Esc should be facing out for cooling. Not sure if yours is but it probably is. Everyone using brushless motors should have a Wattmeter. Have you checked that you are not overloading the Esc when the motor is on

Nice artwork. For my Swift with LEDs I bought the correct plug to plug in the LEDs into the balancer wire from hobbyking.com
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Apr 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
I think the ESC is fine, I just did my first flight with the plane and when I brought it back in the BEC wasn't hot. It flew very good, it just needed a few clicks of up trim, and it also floated great without power! I just have one problem tho, I think I discharged one of my two lipo's too much because I was flying at low throttle so I didn't notice it throttled down. Maybe I should set the cutoff to a hard cutoff. But can I still use the motor after it first turned off to warn me? The charger thinks it is a 2cell battery?? What should I do now? I'm charging the other one right now.

Edit: Letting it rest 1 hour made the voltage go up I think, now it's charging fine as a 3s. I've also timed my flight and I got about 9 minutes 30, so now I'm going to set my flight timer at 9 minutes, and then the cell voltage should be fine when I land it. I'll upload a video of a night flight later this evening (not dark yet) :-)
Last edited by thibaultvdb; Apr 10, 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Some more pictures

edit:
shakey video added!
MS Composit Swift 2 Night Flying (2 min 23 sec)
Last edited by thibaultvdb; Apr 10, 2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
I think the CG is too far to the back tho, how can I be sure about the CG? I adjusted it already by adding weight (20g) in the front. Now the CG is around 17,5 - 18 cm. I'll have a test flight later this evening. How I can know if it is nose, or tail heavy?

edit: now I think I have too much weight in the nose it doesn't float as good as with the cg too far too the back.
Last edited by thibaultvdb; Apr 11, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
I think the CG is too far to the back tho, how can I be sure about the CG? I adjusted it already by adding weight (20g) in the front. Now the CG is around 17,5 - 18 cm. I'll have a test flight later this evening. How I can know if it is nose, or tail heavy?

edit: now I think I have too much weight in the nose it doesn't float as good as with the cg too far too the back.
I put a marking pen mark under all of my plane wings and show the recommended c of g. My mark is 17.5cm from the nose and it flies great on that.

The more nose weight makes it more stable and easier to fly.
The less nose weight going behind the c of g makes it harder to fly.

The idea is to put less and less weight in the nose so you are still happy with how it flies. I do bother to go behind the recommended c of g but if you have time to experiment, have a go. In my mini swift if I go 1 cm behind the recommended c of g you just can not fly it. It goes all over the sky and uncontrollable.

If yours still flies good without the 20g of weight, leave it out. It seems to be flying good in the video.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:09 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
I'm going to search for a way to mount my motor more to the front, so that I can remove the 20g of weight. Too bad my 1500kv motor didn't come with that stick mount. Do you guys know another way to mount it? I saw that the motor without the motor mount fitted in the hole of the plastic mount from the swift. maybe I can glue the motor in that hole, and put it more to the front.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:25 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,145 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to search for a way to mount my motor more to the front, so that I can remove the 20g of weight. Too bad my 1500kv motor didn't come with that stick mount. Do you guys know another way to mount it? I saw that the motor without the motor mount fitted in the hole of the plastic mount from the swift. maybe I can glue the motor in that hole, and put it more to the front.
Use this and unglue your motor mount and move it further forward.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8458

Just do it slowly so as to not unglue the two wings. You may not want to do it as it may be a problem if you change the motor later.

You might be one of those people that like them light. I go the other way and just put a bigger LiPo on and you can fly it longer also.