HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:14 PM
What's tomorrows forecast?
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
so diggs the 2730 will give it unlimited vertical with a 7x6?
coinworker is offline Find More Posts by coinworker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Can't say since I have never used the 7x6 APC, I fly with the GWS 8040 (8x4), which should give you pretty much unlimited vert. It has no shortage of power on that setup, but it isn't blazing fast. And what is fast to one person might not be for another. My Demon lite at 140mph is fast to me. By comparison, I have never flown a fast swift II.

If you use the 2730 motor and the 1250 3S lipo, you might not get vertical out of it since the weight is going to be up there. I use either a 3S 610 or 750 Rhino pack on mine depending on wind or what I have handy. I think if I dropped a larger pack in there, it might lose some of its performance due to weight, but again, speculation since I have never done it. The 2730 gives me all the speed and thrust I want from the Swift II and keeps it lite so it will slow to a crawl, which for me is important. I like a large speed envelope, but many may not care about it being slow and floaty. I just like having the option. I haven't flown a swift II in months now, but when I do fly them, I typically toss it around and do a lot of crazy aerobatics and slow low inverted harriers and such, which is more fun than it being fast. Although, I pound the throttle now and then and do some nice low worm burner passes.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:33 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,452 Posts
The APC E type of props are heavier, stiffer, and they could take a finger off. They don't seem to work well with the Prop Saver like the GWS Props.

Putting a lot of weight on a swift doesn't seem like something I would want to do, it is Swift, not a rocket.
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
it looks like i ordered the gws ep 7x6 prop... i thought i got the suggestion for those from this site... not sure now... anyway. diggs i like the idea of it being floaty as well. this seems like it will be the type of set up, i'm looking for. i think i have some 8x5 props for my yak 55 so maybe i'll give those a try as well, i'll see what my meter recommends once i have the parts... slow boat from china. i also ordered 3 610mah batteries and have an assortment of other sizes to experiment with. Thanks again for all the info and tips guys!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:10 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
The 7x6 MIGHT spin a bit faster due to the smaller diameter and give you a bit more punch. It might be a great choice for that motor, but I can't say since I haven't used it. So please let us know how it works out. I use the same setup on my Yak 55 EPP foamy as I do on the Swift II.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:05 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
I am curious if the 2408-21 1400kv would be any faster than the 2730-1500 The KV on the 2730 is higher, so in theory the pitch speed should be higher as well. The 2408 is heavier and would likely take a bit more power and the higher pitch prop better, but at the cost of heat and lost efficiency. I don't doubt it is a fine motor, I have used similar on the superfly with great results. But I don't know that you are going to gain much speed from this setup.

I am very curious about using the Microdan 1800kv on the swift II for speed. I know this is way more expensive than most want to pay for a motor on the swift II, but I really think it would make it haul. I have an unbuilt Swift II I should try it out on and see what it does. Doubt I will do that anytime soon, but I might have to give it a test. It certainly performs well on the Ritewing IYF, which IMO is a better choice for a speedy wing.

Diggs
G'day Diggs,
A lot of sites rate the TP 2408-21 @ 1750KV, I don't own a tacho so I can't verify this. Like you I've run the 2408-21 with 8040 DD and 8060 HD GWS props on a few different airframes with great success. ( I've always run the 8060HD on the Superfly.) I tried the 7X6 APC E copy after reading posts on a thread about foamy pylon that reported a combination of good speed and duration on this prop.

There's nothing elegant or streamlined about my current setup, the battery is mounted like the Superfly on top of the wing without the advantage of any streamlining canopy. I just threw it together as a bit of an experiment.

I've since had 2 more Swift IIs delivered which will be kept light, but reinforced with 3mm carbon strip. (And have their Lipos hidden in the nose.) I've bought couple of Turnigy 2836 2350KV outrunners to experiment with and some 2700 and 3900 KV inrunners for a pylon racer I'm building, they'll probably get a ride on a Swift II as well. ( A foam engine/prop test bed) I realise the Swift II isn't an all out speed machine, but I'll push it a bit, all in the name of fun!
Cheers,
Stretch1
Stretch1 is offline Find More Posts by Stretch1
Old Oct 21, 2010, 02:09 AM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Built and flew my swift 2 today. What a blast to fly!! i was impatient and after i had it built i had to take it for a spin... in 18mph wind with even higher gusts. And still had a successful run. Sure the wind was able to throw her around a bit but i still can see that this thing is a good flyer.

A big THANK YOU to everyone for the advice and setup recommendations, and other small tips like using large servo wheels or poker chips to protect the servo arms.

This is my set up:
2 hxt 900
2730 1700 motor
tower pro 9gram 12amp esc
8x5 dd prop
hobbyking dsm2 parkflyer receiver (spektrum knock off)
dubro xl servo arms (compatible with hxt900)
610mah 11.1v rhino
also used a 800mah blue lipo
i need to get some jst connectors for my watt/amp meter so i can check the draw, but everything seemed cool to the touch after a full battery flight.

when all was said and done i check the cg with the 610 and noticed that it was tail heavy according to the destructions so i added some nickels to the front for some weight but once in the air i noticed that it had a hard time pulling up so i removed the weight. But then it was thrown around by the wind to easily so i added 4 nickels at the nose and she flew wonderfully even in the high winds. She climbed with unlimited vertical... well as high as i felt comfortable with in the wind. and the speed was quick... not mind blowing fast, but still impressive. And of course she hit the ground repeatedly and i got her stuck in a tree (had to climb it and shake the crap out of the limb to no avail, then got out the trusty hammer, tied it to a string and was able to shake it out at that point) but she kept on flying without issue... i love the indestructible nature of epp. Now i am anxious for a better day to really test her out and see her full capabilities!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:13 AM
scrapy scrapy doo.
The Netherlands, NH, Anna Paulowna
Joined Jan 2009
187 Posts
@coinworker.

You even can fly the Swift with a heavy accu.
We often use a 1100/ 1300 mAh.
So you can remove your coins

Grtz Ron
roonroon is offline Find More Posts by roonroon
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:58 AM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,452 Posts
I put in the 3S750 Rhino and it got me very close.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:19 AM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
go figure the wind is at 25 mph... i wanna play with my new wing!!!! i'll look into other batteries the my collection jumps from a 800mah to 1800mah, i may have to order some new sizes.
@roonroon... nice pun! i am also a magician, thus the coinworker handle but now it's taking on a new meaning
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
scrapy scrapy doo.
The Netherlands, NH, Anna Paulowna
Joined Jan 2009
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
@roonroon... nice pun! i am also a magician, thus the coinworker handle but now it's taking on a new meaning
Sometimes you have to make some magic to fly, and I had to use heavy accu's because I had forgotten to take the light accu's to the field.
With a lot of wind, a heavy accu it takes a lot of magic to fly but all wents well (up and down)
Even on holliday in France I have flown with the heavy accu's, no problem at all with a lot of wind.
Get used on those weights and keeps her longer in the air, that's no magic! that's more mAh

Good luck with the magic of the Swift II
roonroon is offline Find More Posts by roonroon
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:43 PM
indiana
Joined Jun 2009
288 Posts
Question, i was setting my esc so that the brake would be enabled and now have a question about the timing feature. what is the timing feature about and should i change it from low (defult) to medium or high? any info would be appreciated.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:05 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coinworker View Post
Question, i was setting my esc so that the brake would be enabled and now have a question about the timing feature. what is the timing feature about and should i change it from low (defult) to medium or high? any info would be appreciated.
If you are not having any issues with the motor starting to spin or any eratic behavior, leave it at low.

Setting the prop brake is normally for folding props. It will create drag with a static prop.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 04:26 AM
Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
If you are not having any issues with the motor starting to spin or any eratic behavior, leave it at low.

Setting the prop brake is normally for folding props. It will create drag with a static prop.
Hmmm...
There have been a few good discussions about the drag from freewheeling vs stopped props...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1125457

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730371

The general consensus seems to be that a stopped prop will always produce less drag, unless the pitch is very steep and the motor is very free running. eg The steep pitch freewheeling props on rubber powered models.(Freewheeling props attached to outrunners are dragging the motor and not truly freewheeling.) Using the brake on my powered gliders causes my folding props to fold, so they don't produce drag by freewheeling.

I reckon the biggest problem with using the brake on pusher powered wings is increasing the odds of breaking props when landing.
Stretch1 is offline Find More Posts by Stretch1
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:47 AM
Joined May 2009
298 Posts
Hi guys

What glue did you use on the swift?

I used CA + activator for the fins and realised it was too brittle (cracked easily)

Epoxy, hot glue....?

Also, my 3M strapping tape although sticky it doesn't stick well on the foam. Do you glue it down or maybe not bother with it in teh first place?

Thx
G4ORCE is offline Find More Posts by G4ORCE