SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:19 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Prop for blue wonder / 3S 610mAh setup?

I haven't been on here in forever. I need to buy a few replacement props for the Swift 2. I'm currently using something labeled the GWS EP-7035. Diggs, you may have recommened it last year to go with my light-weight setup.

Not sure where I got them -- Hobby City maybe. What's a good stateside source for this prop or similar that would be good for the Blue Wonder and 3 cell 610mAh setup? Props is all I'd be ordering, so don't need a Hobby City link.

Having a floater is more important than top end speed.
The Swift 2 is still my favorite plane.
Thanks.
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
With a prop that size, I am guessing you are using the 1700kv blue wonder motor. Regardless, http://www.gwsprops.com/ is a great source for props. These guys are in the states and typically attend SEFF every year. I have met them several times and must say they are pretty good guys. You could likely get away with using a GWS 8040 prop on there also, but it will be much faster and consume more amps. Just make sure your ESC is up to the task.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:52 PM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
Thanks Diggs. GWS's site is way too easy. I just ordered. Not sure why I didn't find it with a google search. Yeah, I think it was the BW 1700 -- but then I sent it to atom1025 for one of his rewinds.

I haven't been spending much time on RCG, but I'm still likin' your podcast every week.
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
Old Sep 29, 2010, 04:02 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
322 Posts
Swift Night Flyer

Here's a few pic's of my Swift II night flyer. She's not the fastest wing around, but she'll go straight up out of sight.

Spec's;
Turnigy 2826-1300
GWS 8x4 Prop
Trunigy 12A ESC
Rhino 30C 3S 1350
Hitec MG-65's
2mm carbon bottom wing spars (no tape)
6mm spar at the CG
Top drive servo's
HK LED lighting
AUW 12.5oz
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:12 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Is there enough difference between the top and bottom to keep track of its orientation? Looks like the winglets are the differentiator. Well along with the color difference on the tip of each wing. I don't know if I could remember yellow on left type of thing.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:26 AM
Joined Oct 2007
142 Posts
hi, I'm looking into a flying wing for slope flying, how is the swift at the slope? is it designed to be used with power on all the time or is it still good for the slope?
z999 is offline Find More Posts by z999
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:18 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
I just use the factory CG. It is very flexible with CG, but if you have to go one way or the other, go nose heavy and not tail heavy.

Diggs
Cheers Diggs,
I just picked up a Storm off RCG new in package. I brushed through the thread high level, got stuck on the post for April 10th 2009 and then got back on track.

I like your light setup you have quoted throughout the thread with the 3S610 and the Wonder motors. I have one of the Timocharis Red and Blue 3000 rewinds that is doing 23 ounces of thrust with a 8X4 GWS at a little over 10 amps, very quiet and happy motor.

With your light set up do you recomend any of the CF spars and such I have seen going through the thread, or stick with tape like the directions list? I have to say that paper called a manual it came with is a bit weak and english challenged.

Thanks
Ron
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:40 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
LOL, the so called manual is lame, but you don't need much with the Swift II. Mine fly's naked with no spar or tape. However, I don't see any problems with using the tape. I kinda like it flexy so when I schmack mother earth it bounces nicely. Another option would be to use twine / kite string, and cut a slit top and bottom directly over each other, but don't go all the way through. Slide in the string, apply thin CA and let it harden. This does wonders on stiffening. Have done this on several 3D EPP foamy models and it always impresses me how lite and strong it is.

Hope you enjoy it!

Diggs
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:45 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
LOL, the so called manual is lame, but you don't need much with the Swift II. Mine fly's naked with no spar or tape. However, I don't see any problems with using the tape. I kinda like it flexy so when I schmack mother earth it bounces nicely. Another option would be to use twine / kite string, and cut a slit top and bottom directly over each other, but don't go all the way through. Slide in the string, apply thin CA and let it harden. This does wonders on stiffening. Have done this on several 3D EPP foamy models and it always impresses me how lite and strong it is.
Hope you enjoy it!

Diggs
Thanks, I went to the Mr Flash school of building with EPP and make it light. so I figured your approach would be simular. I have some light carbon tow I used on the i3D and Sumo, should work very well.

Ron
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:03 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Carbon Tow would work as well. I rarely mention it since few people have it or even know what it is. I have a ton of respect for Mr. Flash and his builds. He knows his stuff. Keep us posted on the Swift II, curious what you think of it.

Diggs
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:18 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Carbon Tow would work as well. I rarely mention it since few people have it or even know what it is. I have a ton of respect for Mr. Flash and his builds. He knows his stuff. Keep us posted on the Swift II, curious what you think of it.
Diggs
I really had fun with the Fire Fly of Leadfeathers, but the chassis just didn't hold up. That new thing him and Adam just posted looks positive!

I have build nearly all of MrFlash's builds, Dave taught me a lot, restarted the hobby after 20 some years off on his thread with EPP, couple years later I am building 27% stuff.... Love this hobby.

I started taking some interest in the Swift from some of your work, finally caught one at a good price. I am sure it will be everything I have heard.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 09:57 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Well it is near completed, very easy to put together. I was first impressed that the control rod grubs went into the servo arm without having to drill the arms out...... However the joy was short lived since the Grub keepers <washer lock rings> are too big for the grub stub and just fall off.

Oh well, adapt and win.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:51 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Done

270 Grams <9.5 ounces> AUW with a Rhino 3S610 Lipo. With 23 ounces of thrust it should carry ok.

papers say CG should be 180-185mm, it currently is near 195mm. Any thoughts to how it will react to that? I could bump up to a 3S750 Rhino or add weight. Thoughts?

GWS 8040
Spektrum AR 6100e
Hxt 14 gram Metal Gear Servos
Mag 8 10amp esc
Turnigy Red and Blue Wonder 3000Kv rewind.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:01 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Woah, 3000kv on an 8040 prop??? Be very careful with that. I bet she is going to pull some amps and that ESC you have on there likely won't handle that, and I doubt the motor will either. I use the 1500kv blue wonder.

As for the CG, I think you will be ok, but you might want to try a 750 if you have one.

Diggs
Old Oct 03, 2010, 10:10 PM
BANG IT!!!
Joined Dec 2007
12,444 Posts
Quote:
Woah, 3000kv on an 8040 prop??? Be very careful with that. I bet she is going to pull some amps and that ESC you have on there likely won't handle that, and I doubt the motor will either. I use the 1500kv blue wonder.

As for the CG, I think you will be ok, but you might want to try a 750 if you have one.

Diggs
No Worry Diggs,
If you look at the close up pick of the motor, you can see the fatty wire, this motor is made for a 8X4, 23 ounces of thrust at just under 10 amps. The 3000KV motor has a good hardware set up for this wind. No worries, this motor and ESC has been on a EPP Cap I designed for over a year, very sweet set up. Whisper quiet motor.

I have several Rhino 3S750, I just hated to cut the hole bigger, trying to stay light but there is really nothing I can do other then add weight, it may as well be useful weight.