Happiness is a warm ESC.
Ballarat Vic. Australia
Joined Jun 2008
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
How are those HK 6100 clones?
I bought four to try them out.
This is the first one I've used, it bound straight away and I haven't had a problem with it to date. It's wrapped in blue tape (they come without a cover) and buried in the base of the Swift so I cant see the LED, but I haven't had any evidence of brownout or glitching. I've flown the Swift a long way up and out from the slope and it has been rock solid.
Stretch1 is online now Find More Posts by Stretch1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:10 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
They have the orange case ones now - the reviews seem really solid. Just wanted to hear an opinion that wasn't from the HK sight.
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2006
44 Posts
hey guys, new to the whole flying wings thing, so I need a little help. Basically I have been turned slowly towards buying a wing by the ATTF guys, the swift II seems like a good place to start, but I'm not entirely sure what gear to put in it.
I have a S-2215-18 and a scorpion 35amp speedy sitting around, would this combo work well on the wing? (using 3s) or would the 2215-18 have to low of a Kv rating?, if it would be suitable what sort of prop/lipo capacity would I be needing?

thanks

Michael.
jantrit is offline Find More Posts by jantrit
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jantrit View Post
hey guys, new to the whole flying wings thing, so I need a little help. Basically I have been turned slowly towards buying a wing by the ATTF guys, the swift II seems like a good place to start, but I'm not entirely sure what gear to put in it.
I have a S-2215-18 and a scorpion 35amp speedy sitting around, would this combo work well on the wing? (using 3s) or would the 2215-18 have to low of a Kv rating?, if it would be suitable what sort of prop/lipo capacity would I be needing?

thanks

Michael.
Michael,

Thanks for listening. I am a big Swift II fan and have built several. Check out one of my earlier posts for the setup I prefer. The gear you mention would be a bit on the heavy side. Not really a problem except it would be a challenge to CG the wing with that motor on it. I like a 24gram motor, and the scorpion is 61grams.

Here is what I use on mine, and it is pretty cheap to get the gear.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2317

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:43 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Hello again,

Just a little video with a Gum Cam attached on my wing. But this is not ideal because the cam is positioned vertically. I just ordered a KeyChain that can be set flat.

Windy Day and at 2:09 loss of visualization of my Swift. Several seconds before she could find a correct trajectory. The Cam and the wind do not help to stabilize in the right direction.

Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:41 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Nice job
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:06 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,904 Posts
I just bought a second hand Swift. Never fully assembled. Unfortunately I did not receive the winglets with it. Can some one give me some dimensions? What is the thickness of the material? What's the height above the wing? I assume the exact shape is not critical. Thanks!
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
winglets

About 7.5 inches long and 4 inches high, and thin - maybe 3/8" thick. You can see in the pictures the unpainted section - that part goes flush with the wing itself.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
Red Wing, MN
Joined Aug 2000
298 Posts
Diggs,
Thanks for the advice above. My first Swift is on the way here and I was about to put stuff in it that I had around...too heavy. I'll change to something lighter. Wish it wasn't so late in the season.
Best,
GAANDAHL
GAANDAHL is offline Find More Posts by GAANDAHL
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:26 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Sep 2005
130 Posts
Has any one tryed fly without winglets? There is so much wing sweep, it may not them.
clipper is offline Find More Posts by clipper
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:29 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Sep 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
Michael,

Thanks for listening. I am a big Swift II fan and have built several. Check out one of my earlier posts for the setup I prefer. The gear you mention would be a bit on the heavy side. Not really a problem except it would be a challenge to CG the wing with that motor on it. I like a 24gram motor, and the scorpion is 61grams.

Here is what I use on mine, and it is pretty cheap to get the gear.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2317

Diggs
What C.G. do you like to use?
clipper is offline Find More Posts by clipper
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:40 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
Has any one tryed fly without winglets? There is so much wing sweep, it may not them.
I tried to fly with just one! Didn't work.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:12 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
About 7.5 inches long and 4 inches high, and thin - maybe 3/8" thick. You can see in the pictures the unpainted section - that part goes flush with the wing itself.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper View Post
What C.G. do you like to use?
I just use the factory CG. It is very flexible with CG, but if you have to go one way or the other, go nose heavy and not tail heavy.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
2,847 Posts
I had a Turnigy 2730-1700 on the Swift 2 and it was too slow. Then found a better prop and it is quite good.

I just put on the Turnigy 2730-3000 with a 3 cell Rhino 1050mah 20C but it looks like the flight will be very very short.

I know the Swifts were not meant to go really fast and will probably go back to the first motor but has anyone tried a Turnigy 2730-3000.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8620
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower