SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:13 PM
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined May 2005
32 Posts
Had to patch my elevons this evening. They were start to tear around the vertical fins.

I ran two pieces of blue painters tape along the top exposing the hinge and ran a bead of hot glue across the top and spread it thin with a popsicle stick. Looks to be pretty strong.
Pantseatflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pantseatflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 09:38 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
Here's my new LED Swift 2
If it stops raining I will maiden tonight! Fingers Crossed.
I just noticed your thin winglets. Are they corflu?
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:02 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
??? What's corflu ???
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Aug 17, 2010, 06:04 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
??? What's corflu ???
Looks like I missed the spelling. It is corflute that they make signs out of. I went to a sign company and got all different colours for my Elle Bees. For my Mini Swift it was a bit heavy so got replacements.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 09:08 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Yep - that's the stuff I used (never knew what it was called) - it is a bit heavier but the lights show through it much better than the EPP winglets. I am using a 1350 3 cell so the balance wasn't too big of an issue.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Yep - that's the stuff I used (never knew what it was called) - it is a bit heavier but the lights show through it much better than the EPP winglets. I am using a 1350 3 cell so the balance wasn't too big of an issue.
I bought two of those strip lights from HK. Anything special you do with them. I noticed you slit the foam and insert the lights - any glue? Put in a separate LiPo for the lights? Just cut the strips and solder wires on and wire straight to LiPo?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:02 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I bought two of those strip lights from HK. Anything special you do with them. I noticed you slit the foam and insert the lights - any glue? Put in a separate LiPo for the lights? Just cut the strips and solder wires on and wire straight to LiPo?

Thanks
No glue - they fit in nice and tight when pushed in the slit, the backside sticks like a sticker so if you just want to have them on top and not embedded you have that option too. Either way I do tape over them.

For power I run everything off the same battery, just order a female balance plug to go with your lipo's balance plug and you are good to go. That way if you are flying during the day you just leave the lights unplugged and won't get any waisted battery usage. Check out the pic below. Deans for main power and balance for lights.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:19 AM
Ripping The Bring since 2009
Joined Sep 2008
109 Posts
Quote:
For power I run everything off the same battery, just order a female balance plug to go with your lipo's balance plug and you are good to go. That way if you are flying during the day you just leave the lights unplugged and won't get any waisted battery usage. Check out the pic below. Deans for main power and balance for lights.
Forgive me if this is pointing out the obvious or insulting..... The way you have that wired will put the cells out of balance and could be risky. Perhaps if the lights have low current draw and you regularly charge with a balancer no probs?

I'd choose to splice into the main power lead, perhaps with a mini jst to keep the size / weight down. Just my 2c
aidan82 is offline Find More Posts by aidan82
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:44 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
No glue - they fit in nice and tight when pushed in the slit, the backside sticks like a sticker so if you just want to have them on top and not embedded you have that option too. Either way I do tape over them.

Thanks for the photo. It makes everything clear. I balance my LiPos every time so may be all right.

Is that the only strip (3 pieces) that is needed? None for the top etc. Also where you bend it I suspect you just cut it anywhere and solder wires between the two bits. (Bit of a basic question but have not installed any yet) Must get some of those female balance plugs.

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:12 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Very minimum draw - and yes I do balance after each flight (night flights kept short). I have the white strip embedded in the foam along the leading edge, another blue strip, not embedded, on top, and two small strips of green and red at the tips. That allows me to keep orientation throughout each flight without issue. Main thing with the lights is to know when you are looking at the top of the plane versus the bottom. The video I posted of the night flight doesn't do a great job of showing the blue light versus the white, but in reality they are very easy to tell apart.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 01:15 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Very minimum draw - and yes I do balance after each flight (night flights kept short). I have the white strip embedded in the foam along the leading edge, another blue strip, not embedded, on top, and two small strips of green and red at the tips. That allows me to keep orientation throughout each flight without issue. Main thing with the lights is to know when you are looking at the top of the plane versus the bottom. The video I posted of the night flight doesn't do a great job of showing the blue light versus the white, but in reality they are very easy to tell apart.

Hope this helps.
Great - Thanks for that. I was not sure if it was the same one as the video.

Great video.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:14 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan82 View Post
Forgive me if this is pointing out the obvious or insulting..... The way you have that wired will put the cells out of balance and could be risky. Perhaps if the lights have low current draw and you regularly charge with a balancer no probs?

I'd choose to splice into the main power lead, perhaps with a mini jst to keep the size / weight down. Just my 2c
Hello,

Normally, the red and black wires of the balancing plug are connected in parallel with the red and black of the main power.

I also plugged my Swift this way and after several flights no imbalance in the cells. Of course, I always charge my lipos with balancer and check every time each cell.

LED on mine consume approx. 200mAh a flight. With my 1300mAh lipos flight time is approx. 13 min. I use almost 3 LED strips from HK ... but for the next "Night Flyer", I think I will not put more than two strips which corresponds to 120 LED to reduce a little to consumption. These HK LED are very intense and it is possible to see them from very very far

A friend has shooted my first night flight, but the camera messed up and not sure of having images ... that will be for the next time
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:01 AM
Gistel, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidan82 View Post

Been flying wired like this for more than 14 months now ( got the leds the very week Hobbycity announced them ... 120 leds + 12/13 min of ( gentle ) nightflying leaves the 1000 mah still on 3.75v/cell)

it's safe to wire this way ...

cheers

Guy

PS : chriscool : might nice nightswift you've got there !
guy5927 is offline Find More Posts by guy5927
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:49 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,275 Posts
The LEDS on the leading edge and winglets are they soldered together and two wires back to the LiPo or do you do a lot of wires back to the LiPo?

Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2010, 04:07 AM
Gistel, Belgium
Joined Mar 2004
572 Posts
With most of us everything just continues with 2 wires ...
guy5927 is offline Find More Posts by guy5927