Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:43 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGL View Post
Firepower, thanks for the video.

In my case, the receiver is a bit different. It's splitted in two parts, one for each antenna.

Can I put one part over the other? Is it recommendable to mantain one part far from the other?

(Sorry if this post is a bit offtopic)

Picture of my receiver below:
In the video he was using a Futaba which is the same as mine but I am using 36mhz in the Swift. How do you mean put one over the other as they have to be at right angles. Your end parts, last inch or so should be as straight as possible when installed.

You might mean put the two parts near each other and cross the wires near the boxes. You could cross the shielded part but would not be what the manufactures recommend. Not sure if that is what you mean.

Put them on the wing where you think you will put them and take a photo. I should finish mine tonight with the exception of the motor mount.

I am not sure if you mentioned that you are putting carbon fiber in the wing. It is a problem deciding where to put them but I have put one in and now doing the 2nd and 3rd bits.

EDIT: I think I realise what you mean now by putting the two units on top of one another. I am not an expert in this area but if you really needed to I guess it would not matter. Someone may say otherwise. The working parts are the last inch or so on the end of the wires. The two parts are usually put as far away from each other as possible.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jul 26, 2010 at 07:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:58 AM
Plus Ultra
Asturias (Spain)
Joined Sep 2009
26 Posts
Yes, Iīm talking about fixing the two parts of the receiver together to place the antennas in the way shown in the video. I will try it.

Thank you.
AngelGL is offline Find More Posts by AngelGL
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGL View Post
Yes, Iīm talking about fixing the two parts of the receiver together to place the antennas in the way shown in the video. I will try it.

Thank you.
I am not sure if that receiver is heavy. It may be time to lay out all the equipment to check the centre of gravity. You can cut the receiver slot a bit more back or forward depending on the weight distribution. Putting extra weight on latter to balance it is a waste. The motor will have to be installed properly to check the c of g.

Also do range check before you fly it. I do not how you do it with yours but my Futaba you can push a button and it "pretends the aerial is down".
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:17 AM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2008
147 Posts
Swift 2 nightflyer

Night Flight Wing (0 min 59 sec)

This is my swift2 build by atom1025. Thanks
unlvace is offline Find More Posts by unlvace
Last edited by unlvace; Jul 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Sds
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:20 PM
Joined Nov 2008
6 Posts
Hi!

I Have just order one Swift 2 just to try it. Want to buy all the equitment from HobbyC.

What is the best motor, esc, prop, battery to use ?? I will also make a nightrating swift.

tnx!!
Ruduz is offline Find More Posts by Ruduz
Old Aug 02, 2010, 09:11 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruduz View Post
Hi!

I Have just order one Swift 2 just to try it. Want to buy all the equitment from HobbyC.

What is the best motor, esc, prop, battery to use ?? I will also make a nightrating swift.

tnx!!
I am in the same situation as you and new at the Swifts. I have two mini swifts and they are great. I also have 4 Elle Bees but it looks like the Swifts are much better. I have the controls in and receiver and just deciding on a motor.

I have been through most of the Swift posts but they mainly do not use HK stuff so comments on hobbyking/hobbycity stuff would be great. I am after the fastest motor and even thinking of putting on my Mystery D2825-5000. I thought the 5000rpm should get it going.

I'll comment soon further on equipment if someone that has more INTELLIGENCE on the Swifts than me does not.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:06 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruduz View Post
Hi!

tnx!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I am in the same situation as you and new at the Swifts. I have two mini swifts and they are great. I also have 4 Elle Bees but it looks like the Swifts are much better. I have the controls in and receiver and just deciding on a motor.

I have been through most of the Swift posts but they mainly do not use HK stuff so comments on hobbyking/hobbycity stuff would be great. I am after the fastest motor and even thinking of putting on my Mystery D2825-5000. I thought the 5000rpm should get it going.

I'll comment soon further on equipment if someone that has more INTELLIGENCE on the Swifts than me does not.

I haven't posted this in a while, but here it goes. First off, the swift II is not really made for speed. I find it a waste of time and effort and money trying to make one go really fast. A Ritewing would be a much better choice for speed. Look into an IYF or a TL50 for starters on a speed wing, then move up to a Demon.

So with that said, here is what I suggest as the best setup for the Swift II. There are no spars or extra reinforcement. Build it stock and put this gear on it, it will fly quick and handle great, give long flight times and fly nice and slow when you want it too. Building one for speed kills its ability to float by at almost walking speed. Which IMO is one of the best things about the swift II is its ability to fly quick or very very slow.

Setup for a Swift II

There are two motors that are basically identical. I donít have a preference and have used both on several different planes and it works great.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=8618

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=4859

As for the ESC, this is my current favorite due to the larger BEC

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...2A_BEC)___BESC

But if you want to go even lighter, this will work well also.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller

I go with the larger 9 gram servos just for the extra torque and a bit better throw. I need it when going slow. If your swift is built for speed, then you donít need as much throw really. But when going slow, less air over the control surfaces, the longer throws will help.
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...ec_Micro_Servo

Lipo
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=7308
Or any 3S pack similar in weight. This will get the CG pretty much spot on with the other gear listed above. The 3S 750mah pack works also, but makes it a touch nose heavy, but is good in the wind.

Prop
GWS EP8040
http://gwsprops.com/direct_drive.htm

A few other things I do differently.

1. Cut the servos holes out from the bottom and have the arms sticking through the top of the wing. I donít use the stock pushrods or control horns. I double z-bend heavy music wire like used on a slow stick for the push rods, or make carbon fiber push rods, and I use larger/taller control horns on the control surfaces. This makes it easier on the servo to push the surfaces and give me more throw.
2. Use Dubro Servo arm extensions to get more throw and I can burry the servo a bit deeper this way too. http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=2087

That pretty much sums up my Swift II build.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:37 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,357 Posts
Thanks Diggs

I do have a Mini Swift with all the carbon fiber spars which goes like a rocket but I see what you mean about the Swift being used for a floater and you can get it to go slower and jump over it etc.

However I have put the carbon fiber in the Swift and for the first time on any of them put the aileron linkages underneath. I have put in the foam next to the linkage a round servo arm standing vertical to protect the servo arm etc. I'll probably regret doing it that way.

Thanks for listing all your items and it will give us what to stick to exactly or a guide to change some items. This would be exactly what Ruduz was after also.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:57 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Swift 2 Night Flight with Lightning Video!

Had a little extra fun flying during a lightning storm! No rain to worry about, but tons of lightning. Swift flew great!

Swift II Night Flight During Lightning Storm (2 min 18 sec)
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:48 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
688 Posts
Hello all
I picked up a used Swift II and finally got around to put it together on the weekend. Installed a Tower Pro TP2408-21 1750kv with GWS 7/4 prop ( all I had in the size range ) , cheap 15A ESC, 500ma Turnigy Lipo, 2 HS55 servos, AR6100 rx. Total all up weight 10.5oz including about an 1oz of lead needed to get proper cg.
All I can say is I love this thing, maiden was 12 minutes of fun.
Originally I had a Superfly in my car as a beater due to listening to Diggs on the podcast. Had lots of fun with it but it glides like a flat foamy , strait down and does not handle wind well, for that I have my trusty Stryker. But now the Swift 2 has replaced the Superfly in the trunk, much better flier, glides great even inverted and on this motor it does almost vertical, nice rolls, very smooth. Plus I have emotional attachment to anything Czech made since I was born there.
Excellent little wing.
Dan
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Aug 09, 2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:06 PM
Mx
Joined Mar 2008
233 Posts
Hello all, got mine today, planing on FPV setup, will probably be heavy but lets see how it ends, i ended up buying the suggested motor on the commonsenserc website, any experiences on FPV with this wing?
Ice
iceman77 is offline Find More Posts by iceman77
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:15 AM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
Had a little extra fun flying during a lightning storm! No rain to worry about, but tons of lightning. Swift flew great!
Very nice...

Mine is now ready to flight by night

Swift Night Flyer
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:16 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
WOW - That looks great - I especially love the LED's over the wing tips and the afterburner lights by the prop! Very impressive - Now get the flight video up ASAP!!!!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:58 PM
Suisse, VS, Vouvry
Joined Apr 2009
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
WOW - That looks great - I especially love the LED's over the wing tips and the afterburner lights by the prop! Very impressive - Now get the flight video up ASAP!!!!
Thanks

Perhaps the next version will be build with a little brushed ESC to create a afterburner which varies in intensity with the throttle
Chriscool is offline Find More Posts by Chriscool
Last edited by Chriscool; Aug 13, 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 08:17 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
Afterburner!

That I have to see!!!