HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:05 PM
United States, AR, Fayetteville
Joined May 2005
32 Posts
How do you wire the strips? I have seen them for sale on HK sold by the meter but there is no mention of wiring. I assume you could go through one of the open channels on a receiver.
Pantseatflyer is offline Find More Posts by Pantseatflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:50 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantseatflyer View Post
How do you wire the strips? I have seen them for sale on HK sold by the meter but there is no mention of wiring. I assume you could go through one of the open channels on a receiver.
I tap the LED strips off either my main flight pack or a separate pack. 2~3S will do the trick. Most of the time I parallel a few connectors off my ESC where the battery plugs in. On the Swift II, just pull power from the flight pack and you will be good to go.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jul 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
USA, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
I have the Hobby King Turnigy LED's and they plug into the balance plug for power. Works great - no noticeable loss of flight time either. I have them embedded vertically in the foam (like you would mount a carbon fiber spar) and it works awesome!!!! I would love to get a bunch of them together for a night fly!
dolbydarma is offline Find More Posts by dolbydarma
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2005
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
I have the Hobby King Turnigy LED's and they plug into the balance plug for power. Works great - no noticeable loss of flight time either. I have them embedded vertically in the foam (like you would mount a carbon fiber spar) and it works awesome!!!! I would love to get a bunch of them together for a night fly!
Just placed an order for a set through Hobby King. Thanks for the tips! Look forward to flying at night!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:31 AM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
the lights are addictive... I just ordered another strip - the more lights the better as far as I can tell...
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Check out lowpriceRC for LED strips also. They have very good pricing and they also sell the strips on a spool. So if you order more than 1 meter you get it all on one spool upto 5 meters I think. I kind of like not being forced into 1 meter lengths.

Diggs
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
What? Not a T-Rex!!!
Joined Mar 2008
435 Posts
They look the same! More Lights - More Fun!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:06 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbydarma View Post
They look the same! More Lights - More Fun!
They are for the most part identical with the exception of packaging. I have used both, like them both. Just liked having strips longer than 1 meter. Makes it nice when you cut them, you aren't stuck with a short piece you might not be able to use.

Diggs
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:54 AM
Plus Ultra
Asturias (Spain)
Joined Sep 2009
26 Posts
Hi to all,

Im mounting a Swift II right now, following Diggs's recomendations (red wonder, rhino 640 mAh, 8x4, ..) but I have a 2.4 GHz radio. The receiver of my radio has 2 antennas that have to be placed in an angle of 90.

Anybody has placed this kind of receiver in a Swift II? Anybody knows where I can find options of how to place the antennas?

Thanks in advance.
AngelGL is offline Find More Posts by AngelGL
Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:08 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Belgi, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Finally finished the Swift II,
setup: Turnigy 2730-1500, Hyperion style (BMI) 15-20Amp. ESC, 3S 1000mAh, 8x4 HD Gws prop. and GWS servo's. The "CG" is just right with the 3S 1000mAh.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGL View Post
Hi to all,

Im mounting a Swift II right now, following Diggs's recomendations (red wonder, rhino 640 mAh, 8x4, ..) but I have a 2.4 GHz radio. The receiver of my radio has 2 antennas that have to be placed in an angle of 90.

Anybody has placed this kind of receiver in a Swift II? Anybody knows where I can find options of how to place the antennas?

Thanks in advance.
Easy when you know how. That's why I am spending a lot of time on the forums learning but it is cutting down on my building time.

Swift II quick build guide (combat wing) (9 min 59 sec)
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2005
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Finally finished the Swift II,
setup: Turnigy 2730-1500, Hyperion style (BMI) 15-20Amp. ESC, 3S 1000mAh, 8x4 HD Gws prop. and GWS servo's. The "CG" is just right with the 3S 1000mAh.
Looking good! My balances perfect with a 3s, but had to add some weight to the nose for my 2s Lipos. It is my favorite plane so far.

I'm a new RC flyer and have flown my Swift II every day this with very few mishaps. In fact, tonight I flew a full 10 mins without a crash!

I have noticed one thing. Make sure and check motor mount screws, servo screws and check the elevons to make sure they are true. I flew yesterday and the Swift was flying weird. I brought it in and my motor mount screws were loose!! Now I make sure and do a pre-flight check.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,740 Posts
I would not run a antenna in the same hole as a servo wire like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Easy when you know how. That's why I am spending a lot of time on the forums learning but it is cutting down on my building time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShPTwumUFvg
bobf is online now Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:03 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
I would not run a antenna in the same hole as a servo wire like that.
You probably know that the majority of the antenna wire is shielded and the end bits are the working bits. I'd say also it may not be the best but if not going FPV it is probably all right as the range on that TX is quite good.

I have 3 elle bees and two mini swifts and the mini swifts I like much better than the heavy elle bees.

But I am new with Swifts. I have been going through this thread and I have worked out the best motor is a Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1700kv and a 3s LiPo.

I like fast planes so is there anything better.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jul 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:03 AM
Plus Ultra
Asturias (Spain)
Joined Sep 2009
26 Posts
Firepower, thanks for the video.

In my case, the receiver is a bit different. It's splitted in two parts, one for each antenna.

Can I put one part over the other? Is it recommendable to mantain one part far from the other?

(Sorry if this post is a bit offtopic)

Picture of my receiver below:

AngelGL is offline Find More Posts by AngelGL
Last edited by AngelGL; Jul 26, 2010 at 05:23 AM.