SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:15 AM
Eventually...I will fly
Israel
Joined Oct 2004
884 Posts
I wonder how you guys manage to get that fibertape to stick well to the EPP, it allways get loose real quiqk on my swift

Eran
eran_k is offline Find More Posts by eran_k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
Benign Forecast
Colorado
Joined Dec 2009
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k View Post
I wonder how you guys manage to get that fibertape to stick well to the EPP, it allways get loose real quiqk on my swift

Eran
I use the 3M Extreme tape - so far it sticks pretty well by itself. On those areas where it really needs to stick, I have read that people first spray the area with some 3M spray adhesive, let it dry, and then tape. Have not actually done that myself yet - but seems to be the consensus as the best way forward at any rate.
-S
b94cast is online now Find More Posts by b94cast
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:35 PM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Yes, 3M 77 works well. The other thing that works well is thinned goop, but it's more involved (and smellier).
M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:49 AM
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Mar 2010
83 Posts
Finally got it in the air last night. It flies fine but will need some adjusting for sure. It was a little windy last night and I'm sure that affected it since I built it pretty light. I may actually need some Expo too because my setup has huge throws and I noticed myself giving too much input more than once. I'm gonna dial down the servo travel a bit and add some expo in, I'll see what that does for me.
Jbray is offline Find More Posts by Jbray
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:18 AM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
setup dual rates on it. When you are flying slow, use the high rates, when you are flying faster, use the low rates.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:40 AM
United States, NC, Oak Island
Joined Mar 2010
83 Posts
Thanks Diggs,
I'll give it a shot tonight before I mess with anything else. I'm certain the CG is not proper also. Will the "dive test" work with a model this light? Trying to get it ready for this weekend, going to try to fly friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Jbray is offline Find More Posts by Jbray
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:09 AM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
691 Posts
Just placed an order from Hobby King for the motor, esc, lipos and servos. I'll order the Swift soon. Maybe Common Sence RC will Have a Fathers Day sale.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:50 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbray View Post
Thanks Diggs,
I'll give it a shot tonight before I mess with anything else. I'm certain the CG is not proper also. Will the "dive test" work with a model this light? Trying to get it ready for this weekend, going to try to fly friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Yep, the dive test works great on wings. With fathers day, my bday and other stuff. I won't be flying this weekend Too hot anyway. Doubt I will get to see Dix Field for a few weeks.

Diggs
Old Jun 17, 2010, 06:52 PM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
iron tape down

try using a monocote iron and iron it down.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:51 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eran_k View Post

Eran
spread some foam safe uhu thinly before you stick the tape down. You need quite a while for the non-solvent uhu to go off, but it is worthwhile. Do not stick the tape down until the uhu has gone tacky.

The solvent based uhu may work, but unsure if it attacks the Swifts foam, so check before you use uhu regular!
Impailer is offline Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Jun 26, 2010, 09:13 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Thought I would post this here since some of you might be looking for a good deal on a MS Composit models like the Swift.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265920

Diggs
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:16 PM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
691 Posts
My Swift came yesterday. Still waiting on the motor, ESC and Lipo's from Hobby King. Anyway, where do you get uhu?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:19 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
My Swift came yesterday. Still waiting on the motor, ESC and Lipo's from Hobby King. Anyway, where do you get uhu?
UHU is getting hard to find in the USA. This model is made with EPP, so you can use Welder Adhesive, which I prefer actually. Don't use Welder on blue core/fan fold or depron though, it will attack it. EPP foam like what the Swifts are made from is resilient to almost anything.

http://orders.homaxproducts.com/cata...Adhesives.aspx

Diggs
Old Jun 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
I second that. Welder is available at Lowe's. A few Lowe's stores I've been to don't have it on the shelf, but they can order it. FWIW, my local Michael's craft store carries UHU Por. I prefer UHU over welder for some things, like blenderm hinges and other less critical structural areas.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:06 AM
Is it Friday yet?
Joined Jun 2008
691 Posts
Went by Home Depot and Lowe's this morning and no Welder. I'll try another Lowe's and Ace tomorrow. I saw UHU in a stick form at Michael's. Is that it or is it in a tube?

I will be using the 1500kv motor from HK. Will the APC 8x4 and the GWS 8040 work?